Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps beginner?  (Read 31716 times)

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Schoeps beginner?
« Reply #30 on: October 03, 2005, 12:32:53 AM »
The VMS 5 U Microphone Preamplifier is 6-2/3" × 2-1/3" ×6-3/4", still doable for stealthing... What is the size of the Sonosax and of the NBox?

http://www.sonosax.ch/SXM2/sxm2.html

SX-M2/LS2 has the same dimensions as the SX-M2, the /LS2 designation simply adds a factory mod to the innards to replace the mic bodies and changes the input connectors from 2 x XLR to 2 x lemo + 1 5-pin binder (for the KCY cable).  NBox is custom, and I don't know of any officially published specs.  Use the Search feature to find some comparison pics of the Sax and NBox in the Rig Pics forum for reference.

See my original question you had responded to. I have taped dozens of concerts using MM Sennheiser cardioids or omnis>SP-SPSB-1>D7/D8/HiMD line in, and am looking to upgrade - Noam

Whoops!  Sorry about that - I either forgot about it or missed it in my reading of the post.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #31 on: October 03, 2005, 01:58:45 PM »
picture of my nbox. http://swanny.20m.com/nbox.htm It sounds excellent, like a VMS without all the extra stuff.
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline noam

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #32 on: October 03, 2005, 02:07:55 PM »
picture of my nbox. http://swanny.20m.com/nbox.htm It sounds excellent, like a VMS without all the extra stuff.

Looks nice. Did you actually compare it to the sound of the VMS? Do you unbalance the outputs into an 1/8" jack? Where do you order it, how long do the batteries last and what size is it? - thanks, Noam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #33 on: October 03, 2005, 02:11:30 PM »
Noam - I have a head-to-head comp somewhere of the NBox v. SX-M2/LS2.  I can dig it up and re-seed/FTP/burn if you want to hear it.
Roland R-05

Offline Swanny

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Some shows...
« Reply #34 on: October 03, 2005, 05:55:31 PM »

Looks nice. Did you actually compare it to the sound of the VMS? Do you unbalance the outputs into an 1/8" jack? Where do you order it, how long do the batteries last and what size is it? - thanks, Noam

I haven't heard a direct comp. I have heard alot of VMS tapes though. Most of the parts are borrowed from a VMS from what I understand. Just less wiring and knobs to cause noise. You can order a new one from Alex. I do have my used one up for sale too. I made rca > xlr cable for mine since I run it into the AD1000, but you can find rca > mini cable if you run into an M1/D100
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 02:01:01 PM by m0k3 »
Schoeps MK5/8 > KC5 > CMC6> Oade M148/Aerco MP-2 > Mytek 24192 > Tascam dr-100 mkiii

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #35 on: October 03, 2005, 07:18:30 PM »
How about the Sound Devices MixPre ($665)? (I mean MK4's>KCY 250/01>MixPre>stereo 1/8" unbalanced phone  jack> unbalanced inputs of HiMD line in)

Is there ANY portable mic preamp with phantom power balanced in and unbalanced outputs (other than CS 2496, because I need ANALOG signal out; digital signal into the HiMD line in will get me into trouble with the SONY copyright management) - Noam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #36 on: October 03, 2005, 08:35:14 PM »
How about the Sound Devices MixPre ($665)? (I mean MK4's>KCY 250/01>MixPre>stereo 1/8" unbalanced phone  jack> unbalanced inputs of HiMD line in)

Nope.  No mic bodies (or their equivalent) in that lineage.  Remember:  mic bodies or their equivalent are *required*.

Is there ANY portable mic preamp with phantom power balanced in and unbalanced outputs (other than CS 2496, because I need ANALOG signal out; digital signal into the HiMD line in will get me into trouble with the SONY copyright management) - Noam

The NBox has unbalanced (I believe) outputs in the form of RCAs.  The SX-M2/LS2 has both balanced (XLR) and unbalanced (1/8" mini) outputs.  Neither offers phantom power.  But you don't need phantom power in this setup, unless you plan on powering a different pair of mics than the Schoeps actives.
Roland R-05

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #37 on: October 03, 2005, 08:46:31 PM »
  Neither offers phantom power. 
???
Both I believe offer phantom power. The sonosax web site has SX-M2 as having phantom power.
But you don't need phantom power in this setup, unless you plan on powering a different pair of mics than the Schoeps actives. 
Now I am totally confused. The Schoeps do not need phantom power? - Noam

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #38 on: October 03, 2005, 08:53:17 PM »
They both supply phantom to the capsules.

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #39 on: October 03, 2005, 09:09:10 PM »
Now I am totally confused. The Schoeps do not need phantom power?

It's confusing, and I should clarify.  Think of it this way...there are two delivery mechanisms for phantom power:

preamp > mic bodies > KC5 cables > MKx caps
preamp / mic body equivalent > KCY cables > MKx caps

The CMC6 bodies require phantom power from an external device, i.e. preamp a la the VMS, stock SX-M2, Sound Devices MixPre, etc.  But the SX-M2/LS21 and NBox have the equivalent of the CMC6 bodies *inside* the preamp, so they effectively provide phantom to the CMC6 equivalent circuitry internally.  All that's left to do is hook up the active cables (KCY for the /LS2, custom for the NBox) to provide connectivity between the MKx caps and the mic body equivalent inside the preamp.

1 The /LS2 modification removes the XLR connectors and replaces them with 2 x lemo connectors and 1 x 5-pin binder for the KCY cables.  Hence, the /LS2 is incapable of providing standard phantom power to a pair of mic bodies, but rather can only deliver power to the mic caps directly.

I think the VMS is the only preamp that will support both a body and body-less setup with the same preamp:

MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 bodies > VMS via the XLR connectors, or
MK4 > KCY > VMS via the 5-pin binder connector
Roland R-05

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #40 on: October 03, 2005, 10:58:49 PM »
Now I am totally confused. The Schoeps do not need phantom power?

It's confusing, and I should clarify.  Think of it this way...there are two delivery mechanisms for phantom power:

preamp > mic bodies > KC5 cables > MKx caps
preamp / mic body equivalent > KCY cables > MKx caps

The CMC6 bodies require phantom power from an external device, i.e. preamp a la the VMS, stock SX-M2, Sound Devices MixPre, etc.  But the SX-M2/LS21 and NBox have the equivalent of the CMC6 bodies *inside* the preamp, so they effectively provide phantom to the CMC6 equivalent circuitry internally.  All that's left to do is hook up the active cables (KCY for the /LS2, custom for the NBox) to provide connectivity between the MKx caps and the mic body equivalent inside the preamp.

1 The /LS2 modification removes the XLR connectors and replaces them with 2 x lemo connectors and 1 x 5-pin binder for the KCY cables.  Hence, the /LS2 is incapable of providing standard phantom power to a pair of mic bodies, but rather can only deliver power to the mic caps directly.

I think the VMS is the only preamp that will support both a body and body-less setup with the same preamp:

MK4 > KC5 > CMC6 bodies > VMS via the XLR connectors, or
MK4 > KCY > VMS via the 5-pin binder connector

Wow, thanks for clarifying that! Noam

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #41 on: October 06, 2005, 10:52:35 AM »
Anyone knows a dealer that carries the Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 (the lemo mod, not the standard one) in stock, as opposed to a special order (special orders are not covered by the regular return policy)? - Noam

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
« Reply #42 on: October 06, 2005, 10:57:03 AM »
Anyone knows a dealer that carries the Sonosax SX-M2/LS2 (the lemo mod, not the standard one) in stock, as opposed to a special order (special orders are not covered by the regular return policy)? - Noam

I know of none.  At the time I got mine, the only retailer I found who knew precisely what I was talking about re the factory mod /LS2:  Posthorn.  I know at least one other TSer who got his from Cascade Media.  I doubt anyone stocks them since there isn't a huge demand.  Sonosax occasionally has used gear on their site (though a phone call's probably best, don't know how often they update their site).  You may find a used / demo one there.  Or perhaps they'd mod a used unit for you.
Roland R-05

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #43 on: October 06, 2005, 02:15:08 PM »
I cannot buy a $1200 item that is not covered by a return policy.

I am thinking of an alternative.

Does anyone tape Schoeps CCM4> DENECKE DEN-PS2-MINI – (WITH 1/8” unbalanced MINI PLUG OUTPUT)> line in.

I need to know how hot the signal is. HiMD line in behaves like D7 or D8 line-in. - Noam

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #44 on: October 06, 2005, 02:17:32 PM »
am i the only one who think shwepz>himd is like having bike tires on a porsche? not hating, just curious.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.348 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com