Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Schoeps beginner?  (Read 31799 times)

Offline KingReptile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
Re: Schoeps beginner?
« Reply #60 on: October 12, 2005, 07:15:02 PM »
Anyone having a hard time envisioning a Schoeps cap fitting inside a croakie besides me?  I don't think it will work.

Through a croakie mounted on sunglasses on top of your head..It has been done with other cardiod mics..

Offline mmedley.

• is on a salty highway burning up a lucky streak
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • CAR RAMROD
« Reply #61 on: October 12, 2005, 07:21:40 PM »
Anyone having a hard time envisioning a Schoeps cap fitting inside a croakie besides me?  I don't think it will work.

Yeah, I was thinking that too. Even if it does, underpowering would be the least of my worries I would think. ;D

Doesn't sound like a very good idea to me. Go with a setup in your lapels or sleeves or something? Are you sure you know the diameter of the Schoeps caps? They are about the diameter of a US nickel.

T's all around.
I don't know just where I'm going
But I'm gonna try for the kingdom, if I can

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #62 on: October 12, 2005, 07:34:16 PM »
Schoeps cap = about the circumference of a nickel. 
If you can pack a bunch of nickels inside a croakie, then I guess it might work.
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #63 on: October 12, 2005, 07:43:23 PM »
Schoeps cap = about the circumference of a nickel. 
If you can pack a bunch of nickels inside a croakie, then I guess it might work.

That too. My Math major really shining there. ;D

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #64 on: October 12, 2005, 11:50:46 PM »
Is this just for actives or for the CMC6 bodies as well?
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 01:27:05 PM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #65 on: October 13, 2005, 12:07:50 AM »
Right. I see what you are saying. Thanks!

I was just wondering if the circuitry was the exact same for the Nbox as the CMC6 bodies.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #66 on: October 13, 2005, 01:35:36 AM »
You cannot compare the two.  The CMCs are mic bodies and do not output a line level signal, the Nbox does (kinda like a mic bodies/pre combo). I have heard from others that the Nbox is essentially a vms02ib innards in a project box.   

Brian Skilander did a comp of thiis using mk41 caps.  cmc641>Sonosax SX-M2 vs mk41>Nbox  both into a D100.  And there is a clear sonic difference meaning a different character to the sound from each of the set ups, not that one sounds better than the other (as this is always subjective).

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #67 on: October 13, 2005, 01:40:59 AM »
Brian Skilander did a comp of thiis using mk41 caps.  cmc641>Sonosax SX-M2 vs mk41>Nbox  both into a D100.

Actually, it was MK41 > KCY > SX-M2/LS2 v. MK41 > NBox.

And there is a clear sonic difference meaning a different character to the sound from each of the set ups, not that one sounds better than the other (as this is always subjective).

Definitely a difference.  Two good options - nice to have a choice!  FWIW, I'm working on getting the comp hosted at TS so I don't have to re-seed/host/send discs to those interested.  Anyone wishing to hear the comp, stand by...
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #68 on: October 13, 2005, 02:21:01 AM »
Anyone wants to hear the SX-M2/LS2 v. NBox comp, I'm temporarily hosting via FTP on my home machine until I get it on TS:

thirdofthree.dyndns.org
port 21
l:  gearcomp
p:  8bmb^fs

Two slots available, total of about 50 KB/s.  It's small, though - only ~39MB.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
« Reply #69 on: October 13, 2005, 10:03:00 AM »
Right. I see what you are saying. Thanks!

I was just wondering if the circuitry was the exact same for the Nbox as the CMC6 bodies.

Not a chance.

The electronics portion of the nbox is just too small.  The cmc6 body is jampacked:

Offline mmedley.

• CAR RAMROD
« Reply #70 on: October 13, 2005, 10:28:01 AM »
Cool. I had a few beers last night and managed to confuse myself.  ;D

I never knew that Schoeps required 60V and was wondering if it was just something special for actives or not. Thanks for all the claification. I love learning new stuff and sorry for the confusion. Shouldn't have written 'exact' same. I knew better than that.

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #71 on: October 13, 2005, 01:01:14 PM »
I am trying to get some clarifications from Sonosax about the SX-M2/LS. I contacted Susan Sax. She had responded pretty quickly to a previous inquiry, but I’m still waiting for technical clarifications. Short of that, here are some comments from a source who gave me permission to post this, without identifying the source:
Below are xxxx’s comments followed by info on the LS from the Sonosax website.
 If you just buy KC cables and change the plug it would not have best possible specifications. The KC works with 6.2 volts and the FET's Q-point is adjusted to that voltage. With 10V the FET needs to be adjusted otherwise. ALSO, you need to know that a polarization voltage of only 48V instead of our standard 60V leads to a slightly reduced microphone sensitivity.
THIS WAS TAKEN OFF OF THE SONOSAX WEBSITE -- There is no mention of a the LS2 with a 5-pin Binder. You need to contact Sonosax to confirm the
(1) There is a 5-pin Binder on the LS2 and (2) the leads correspond to Schoeps cable wiring of a a 5-pin Binder with a Schoeps KCY-- cable and
(3) the voltage specs on each pin.
16. SPECIAL VERSIONS
   •    SX-M2/LS

Designed  for use by sound engineers, working frequently with the same pair  of condenser or electret microphones, this version provides the  same high quality amplification and features as the SX-M2.
The  difference between the two versions is that the SX-M2/LS allows  the user to directly connect the capsules without the microphone  body thus creating a significant diminution of power consumption.

Technical  changes

To  be able to place the electronics of the microphone body inside  the SX-M2/LS, LEMO connectors are used instead of the NEUTRIK  XLR for the microphone inputs.

LEMO  in L: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in

LEMO  in R: Shield = Gnd, Pin 1 = +10V, 2 = +48V, 3 = signal in

The  SX-M2/LS can be used for all condenser or electret microphones  having the possibility of changing the capsules on the microphone  body, such as: Colette series of Schoeps, Blue Line of Sanken,  or the similar line of Neumann.

It  is important for these kind of microphones to use a good quality  active cable. When buying the cable from a microphone manufacturer,  do inform them that the amplification electronics often used in  the cables is not required.
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Thanks for taking the time to check my idea of CCM4>PS2>line in. He checked it for me and apparently the PS2 powers the CCM4s just fine and there is more than enough gain in the mindisc line preamp to make a proper recording. I decided against it for 2 reason: the CCM4 capsules are longer than the MK4 capsules, and also because the CCM4 comes in a 5m cord. I will have to get one a 3-4feet one. That would be a special order, and I will never be able to sell a CCM4 with a 3-4 feet cord.

Noam
« Last Edit: April 27, 2006, 01:27:34 PM by Brian Skalinder »

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #72 on: October 13, 2005, 01:07:50 PM »
if you get the mk4 with active cables, those are going to be a lot longer than 3-4 feet too.  just letting ya know.

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

Offline noam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #73 on: October 13, 2005, 01:15:17 PM »
if you get the mk4 with active cables, those are going to be a lot longer than 3-4 feet too.  just letting ya know.

I was thinking stock KCY>special order 3 feet KS. The KS is less than $100 - Noam

Offline Ed.

• your popsicle's melting
  • FJ Baby!
« Reply #74 on: October 13, 2005, 01:24:25 PM »
whats ks?

and wouldn't you have about 3m of kcy + 3' of ks...which to me seems a lot more than just 3m of cable on the ccm4?

Because nothing says "I have lots of money and am sort of confused as to how to spend it" like Bose.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.233 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com