Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: So how DO $45/pair omnis sound?  (Read 23131 times)

Offline uglybassplayer

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Re: So how DO $45/pair omnis sound?
« Reply #60 on: August 09, 2006, 03:01:07 PM »
Peaches and the Herbmakers

fixed it
It's wierd, when I click on the link, the site recognizes me as being "signed in", but it still re-routes me to the signup page.  What should I be seeing when I click on the link?  Shoud it take me to a page where I can download the file, because that's not whats happening.

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #61 on: August 09, 2006, 03:01:11 PM »
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
  • Trade Count: (44)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Those who know, know."
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #62 on: August 09, 2006, 03:09:40 PM »
Here is the original sample:
http://www.aztapers.org/music/samples/oteil.flac

Thanks!

Hey Dirk,
Why don't you cut that sucker up and just put the whole show on the archive?  That is oteil and the peachmakers right?

Matt

I would, but that would mean I'd have to listen to it again... :P
Check out my band!  --> http://www.ninjadynamite.com

Offline uglybassplayer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #63 on: August 09, 2006, 03:10:09 PM »
Thanks China_Rider, I'm downloading it right now.  BTW, I just pulled the trigger on a matched set of these mics (with the windscreens, holders & t-bar) myself.  I'm just a sucker for mics based on modified WM61As ;)

- Frank.

Offline mmmatt

• taping > photography
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • ... A broken angel sings from a guitar
    • LightCraft Photography
« Reply #64 on: August 09, 2006, 03:18:39 PM »

Hey Dirk,
Why don't you cut that sucker up and just put the whole show on the archive?  That is oteil and the peachmakers right?

Matt

It would be like being reuninted with it and it feels so good...
I do think taping is the reality of the business..it is also an impetus for artists to create studio CDs that are ART, not just another recording...    Fareed Haque  2-4-2005

Canon 24-70 f2.8L, Canon 135 f2L, Canon 70-200 f4L, Canon 50 f1.8, > Canon 5D or Canon xt (digi) and Canon 1N (film)

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #65 on: August 09, 2006, 03:21:25 PM »

Hey Dirk,

Matt

It would be like being reuninted with it and it feels so good...

fucker   :thebirdman:

Now that song's going to be in my head all afternoon

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #66 on: August 09, 2006, 03:36:12 PM »
re-united.. hey.. hey...   :laugh:

:-[ sorry guys...   
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline J.Maye

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Formerly Phan2001
« Reply #67 on: August 09, 2006, 05:08:22 PM »
I am definitely getting a pair of these. Obviously I can run these with my existing kind kabels>UA5, but Im looking for something a little more stealthable. I was originally going to save up and get a DPA 4061>MMA6000 setup, but when I saw/heard these I decided they completely fit my needs. Obviously the DPA setup would be nicer, but I think it would be overkill for what I really need. I don’t plan on stealthing much, but I really want the option. Anyone have a good recommendation for powering these mics? I’ll be running into a jb3 or iriver h120 and I would be satisfied with the internal a/d converter for now. I looked at the battery boxes and it looks like none of them put out enough voltage, or maybe I am missing something. I know this should prolly go in the pre/ad section, but since everyone is pretty much up to speed on these mics in this thread I thought I would pose the question here. Im looking for something small and fairly cheap, under $200. If that’s not a feasible option I’ll still have a nice set of Omni’s for open taping.
AKG CK91/92/93/94>mk93/h98>se300b>BM2P+ua5>M10
Or
CA ST11 (C,O)>9100>M10
Busman T mod R4

Offline smokydays

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I Hunger
« Reply #68 on: August 09, 2006, 06:11:55 PM »
I am definitely getting a pair of these. Obviously I can run these with my existing kind kabels>UA5, but Im looking for something a little more stealthable. I was originally going to save up and get a DPA 4061>MMA6000 setup, but when I saw/heard these I decided they completely fit my needs. Obviously the DPA setup would be nicer, but I think it would be overkill for what I really need. I don’t plan on stealthing much, but I really want the option. Anyone have a good recommendation for powering these mics? I’ll be running into a jb3 or iriver h120 and I would be satisfied with the internal a/d converter for now. I looked at the battery boxes and it looks like none of them put out enough voltage, or maybe I am missing something. I know this should prolly go in the pre/ad section, but since everyone is pretty much up to speed on these mics in this thread I thought I would pose the question here. Im looking for something small and fairly cheap, under $200. If that’s not a feasible option I’ll still have a nice set of Omni’s for open taping.

The MSH-1A was really developed for studio recording.  Give me a couple of weeks and I'll have a clip-mount version for plug-in or phantom power. 

That is awesome!  +T !  I will be ordering a pair soon myself.
Still Missing Woody...

"Time to discover, what's really really really right.  Instead of what makes us feel strong."
-- About To Rage, Gov't Mule

Offline uglybassplayer

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #69 on: August 09, 2006, 06:31:46 PM »
The MSH-1A was really developed for studio recording.  Give me a couple of weeks and I'll have a clip-mount version for plug-in or phantom power. 

Hmm, I may just have to put my CSBs on evilBay  :)

- Frank.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #70 on: August 09, 2006, 06:48:45 PM »
My thinking on these microphones is that they have more self noise than the typical condensors we all use for making audience recordings. But, for our application, that self noise is not as a big a concern as it would be in the studio environment. The ambient noise in the venues we record in easily masks the self noise the "ultra small" diameter electret omni mics have. The fact that the MSH-1A design is small (so, potentially stealthable) and 48v phantom powered is exactly what many of us need. Flat frequency response, good sound and very low price is the icing...

The anticipated battery box powered version will probably be very popular with tapers as well.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline rdflash

• I am the Mike Jordan of Recordin'
« Reply #71 on: August 09, 2006, 06:52:33 PM »

They are already phatom if they are just XLR right?
Ted Kennedy has killed more people with his car, than I have with a gun.

Offline Chuck

« Reply #72 on: August 09, 2006, 06:54:36 PM »

They are already phatom if they are just XLR right?

yup

Offline davepeck

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #73 on: August 14, 2006, 09:11:04 AM »
ordered mine this morning. thanks OP!

can't wait to try them out..
Telefunken M60 + TK60 / TK61 / TK62 > Tascam DR-70D

Audio | Video | Photo

Offline TNJazz

• Ninja
    • NINJA DYNAMITE
« Reply #74 on: August 14, 2006, 09:58:13 AM »
Hmmm...

I will have a sample from this weekend's gig up tonight or tomorrow (onstage mics -> Metric Halo) for additional consideration.

I've got a few concerns though, especially as it relates to field taping usage.  Need to do a little more listening first before I comment further though...

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.098 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com