Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SP-CMC-4U Mics  (Read 30489 times)

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: SP-CMC-4U Mics
« Reply #75 on: March 26, 2007, 09:19:33 AM »
Chris , I appreciate the offer to send me the 2 resistors.  I might have to take you up on it, but first I would appreciate an explanation as to why 2 resistors are necessary in the mini-plug.   My point is this:

Both yellow cables go to the same ground, so , using one resistor is the same as two.  
  Everything I know about electronics tells me this is hard to deny...

This question actually made it to AT.  They are aware of the 4.7k and they also mentioned there are a few other mods that get similar results.  They could not see a reason why 2 would be any different than one, at the ground.

That being said, I have not had one person make a good explanation as to why 2 would be any different than 1.  Actually , it seems that since only one resistor is being used, the possibility of a value difference between resistors is negated as well....

T+ Chris
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Church-Audio

• Trade Count: (44)
« Reply #76 on: March 26, 2007, 09:30:49 AM »
Chris , I appreciate the offer to send me the 2 resistors.  I might have to take you up on it, but first I would appreciate an explanation as to why 2 resistors are necessary in the mini-plug.   My point is this:

Both yellow cables go to the same ground, so , using one resistor is the same as two.  
  Everything I know about electronics tells me this is hard to deny...

This question actually made it to AT.  They are aware of the 4.7k and they also mentioned there are a few other mods that get similar results.  They could not see a reason why 2 would be any different than one, at the ground.

That being said, I have not had one person make a good explanation as to why 2 would be any different than 1.  Actually , it seems that since only one resistor is being used, the possibility of a value difference between resistors is negated as well....

T+ Chris

To be perfectly honest with you... I have never tested it lol... I should since I am the one that came up with the mod in the first place :) I am going to look into it. What you say makes perfect sense, I have a pair of AT mics here I will try the single resistor. If it works great. As far as the value differences I have a very accurate Ohm meter that is 6 digits I can match the resistors so they are exactly the same. But if this mod can be done with one resistor it would make life allot better for everyone doing my mod, I see your point you are very smart :) I guess I just had it in my head two mics two resistors lol.. I will test this sometime this week and get back to you.

for warranty returns email me at
EMAIL Sales@church-audio.com

Offline Javier Cinakowski

• !! Downhill From Here !!
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #77 on: March 26, 2007, 09:41:00 AM »
That would be really cool if you would test it out!  The person that did my mod was only able to verify that the mics work, but not if there was a reduction in distortion at high SPLs.  I have used the mics in the field with great results, but they have not been measured with equipment. 

For those of you thinking of doing this mod yourself, I would think again.  The mini-plug is fucking tiny, you need a person with some seriously good soldering skills to pull this off.  Just hire Chris Church to do it, he has more experience than anyone doing this mod.  In fact the guy that did mine, asked why I just didn't send it to Church.  Why?  Because I was impatient and wanted it done right then!
Neumann KM185mp OR DPA ST2015-> Grace Design Lunatec V2-> Tascam DR-100mkIII

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #78 on: March 26, 2007, 10:11:12 AM »
That would be really cool if you would test it out!  The person that did my mod was only able to verify that the mics work, but not if there was a reduction in distortion at high SPLs.  I have used the mics in the field with great results, but they have not been measured with equipment. 

For those of you thinking of doing this mod yourself, I would think again.  The mini-plug is fucking tiny, you need a person with some seriously good soldering skills to pull this off.  Just hire Chris Church to do it, he has more experience than anyone doing this mod.  In fact the guy that did mine, asked why I just didn't send it to Church.  Why?  Because I was impatient and wanted it done right then!

LOL

Offline Brian

• Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #79 on: March 26, 2007, 10:37:17 AM »
To be perfectly honest with you... I have never tested it lol... I should since I am the one that came up with the mod in the first place :) I am going to look into it.

you should....that way you can practice what you preach ;) :P

keep up the good work chris!

Offline loul69

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #80 on: March 28, 2007, 02:45:10 AM »
Hi everyone,

I ve a problem saturday night recording a show with my spcmc4u + 3wire bbox(third one of this page http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,72994.0.html). The show was not too loud in a big concert hall (10000 people).
I used a line in input and a 20/30 manuel volume on the MD.

When i transfert the MD on my pc, the signal is very small...
So here is my question :

With the 3-wire bbox, is it better to put the bbox box in mic in to upper the signal?i know that it depend on the volume of the show, but generally what people do?

And what are the risk of distorsion in mic in?

Thanks a lot

Bye

Up  ???
DPA 4061   -> mini-xlr -> Homemade bbox -> iriver ihp-120
SP-CMC-4u -> mini-xlr -> 3-wire preamp     -> iriver ihp-120

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #81 on: March 28, 2007, 09:19:47 AM »
Hi everyone,

I ve a problem saturday night recording a show with my spcmc4u + 3wire bbox(third one of this page http://taperssection.com/index.php/topic,72994.0.html). The show was not too loud in a big concert hall (10000 people).

So here is my question :

With the 3-wire bbox, is it better to put the bbox box in mic in to upper the signal?i know that it depend on the volume of the show, but generally what people do?

Thanks a lot

Bye

Up  ???

Never use the mic input unless the show is very quiet. If its not you will get distortion with an MD. Always use the line input.

Offline loul69

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #82 on: March 28, 2007, 09:48:48 AM »
Thanks. Somebody had tried this?

Offline Church-Audio

« Reply #83 on: March 28, 2007, 10:13:04 AM »
Thanks. Somebody had tried this?
Yes lots of people have tried this if its an acoustic show you can use the mic input but if its not and things are amplified with a PA system its not recommended.

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #84 on: March 28, 2007, 02:09:32 PM »
Hi everyone,

So here is my question :

Thanks a lot

Bye

Up  ???

Never use the mic input unless the show is very quiet. If its not you will get distortion with an MD. Always use the line input.

I've used mic input on many amplified shows without a problem.  Remember this is the newer HiMD, the "LOW SENS" setting, and you can adjust input on the fly.  No problems with quiet to moderately loud PA shows.  Only really loud ones need line input.

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

Offline loul69

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #85 on: March 29, 2007, 03:03:59 AM »
Thanks a lot Richard, i ll try this

Offline Nixoo

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #86 on: March 29, 2007, 12:18:53 PM »
I'd like my AT853's modded as well. I can't seem to reach chris (pm's get rejected?) so anybody got a hint? I'm not too good at soldering so I think it would be better so hire someone who can get the job done. Chris, if you're reading this, could I use your service as well?

Recorders: Edirol R-09, Zoom H2
Mics: Soundman OKMII Pop, AT853 (4.7k mod), DPA4061, CA11 Cards, CA11 Omi, CA14 Cards
CA-Ugly 2 preamp, SP BB, CA BB
Photo/Video: Panasonic TZ40, Panasonic LX100, Canon 550D

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #87 on: March 30, 2007, 06:22:54 AM »
@Richard...moderately loud shows on mic-input...

You can record really loud amplified rock shows on mic-in at low-sens setting with a low-profile sony ecm-719 mic, I did this in the past before I bought my MM-HLSC-1 mic and it always gave me good results.
The Sony ecm-719 picks up considerably less input compared to SP´s or MM´s mics.

It would be a dream to use my MM-HLSC-1 on mic-in at any show ;)..a dream....without the additional hassle of a battery box.... though I got used to it since I switched to better mics.

The SPL shouldn´t be the problem cause my mics have 138dB at 5V, so maybe 135dB at 2-3V using a RH1 HI-MD recorder or an iriver. The internal RH1 preamp is a different story at high SPL.

Maybe i give it a try tomorrow at a small club amplified show.
I don´t care if this recording will sound distorted, maybe I´m lucky ;).

« Last Edit: March 30, 2007, 06:27:33 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #88 on: September 12, 2011, 05:41:58 PM »
I was just gifted an (old) SP-CMC-4 and SP-BPF-2 with level controls, and thought I'd bump this.

To be perfectly honest with you... I have never tested it lol... I should since I am the one that came up with the mod in the first place :) I am going to look into it. What you say makes perfect sense, I have a pair of AT mics here I will try the single resistor. If it works great. As far as the value differences I have a very accurate Ohm meter that is 6 digits I can match the resistors so they are exactly the same. But if this mod can be done with one resistor it would make life allot better for everyone doing my mod, I see your point you are very smart :) I guess I just had it in my head two mics two resistors lol.. I will test this sometime this week and get back to you.

Did you ever try this and figure things out one way or another?

Also, from what I can see (just unscrewed the plug cover, haven't gone ripping anything apart yet), the wires in the SP-CMC-4 cable are both red. Is there an easy way to determine which wire is which?

Offline lukpac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #89 on: September 12, 2011, 05:59:24 PM »
AT and yours are both three wire.  Red is the drain of the FET, Yellow is the source of the FET and shield is ground (of the capsule).  The other end of the capsule goes to the gate of the FET.  For two wire you short yellow and ground (at the 3.5mm stereo plug, usually).

Also, from what I can see (just unscrewed the plug cover, haven't gone ripping anything apart yet), the wires in the SP-CMC-4 cable are both red. Is there an easy way to determine which wire is which?

Looking again, it appears that the pairs of red wires are soldered together (i.e., both from the left capsule soldered together, both from the right capsule soldered together). Is it safe to assume, then, that yellow and ground from the mic are shorted together at the mic end, and that this can't be modified with a new plug?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.112 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com