Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Static/Inteference in Recording, pls help me figure out what I did wrong  (Read 2273 times)

Offline Gorto45

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
I'm very new to taping, so I was practicing at a bar with some live music last weekend. I did something wrong and I'm trying to confirm that it was just cell interference.  I tried to figure it out myself by listening to some examples of cell problems on these boards. I'm almost certain that's what this is, but I'm not 100% sure because it usually seems shorter than this.  So I figured it couldn't hurt to ask. There was a lot of this type of interference throughout my recording, usually once every three or four minutes, but this is one of the worse ones.  I just want to make sure that there isn't something else that I'm doing wrong.  The recording The equipment I was recording with was CA-14 cards>CA-9100>Sony PCM-M10.  And yes, I forgot to put my phone into airplane mode (lesson learned).

thanks everyone for the help!

https://soundcloud.com/user-176789325/sample-1

Offline strangerinusall

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Indeed it sounds like a cell phone buzz. With a bit of patience you can reduce this annoying sound by using iZotope RX (probably there´s more audio software which does the trick).
Here´s my attempt: https://soundcloud.com/user-960607557/sample-1-by-gorto45-cell-off

Offline Bruce Watson

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
I'm trying to confirm that it was just cell interference.

That's most likely. Could be a pager, could be a tablet, but it's definitely a digital transmission of some kind. Doesn't have to be your phone, or even a phone particularly close to you. Whatever it is, it's prodigiously leaking RFI.

I just want to make sure that there isn't something else that I'm doing wrong.

The best weapon we have to fight RFI is balanced interconnects. Good balanced cables with good XLR connectors like the new-ish Neutrik EMC series XLR connectors are your best bet. IIRC, your Sony doesn't use XLR connectors, and that unbalanced cable sitting out there between your CA-9100 and your Sony PCM-M10 can act like an antenna. If this continues to be a problem for you, one path out is to upgrade to equipment that uses XLRs.

Another common path RFI can take to get into your system is through power cables, especially if a wall wart is involved. Battery operation solves this one.

Offline Gorto45

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Thanks for the info and suggestions!  It is very helpful. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.048 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com