Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: stand alone dvd recorder advice needed...  (Read 2519 times)

Offline ellaguru

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • the wendy hour
stand alone dvd recorder advice needed...
« on: December 28, 2009, 10:07:33 AM »
hey friends...
i've been helping a long time video taper back up his massive archive to dvd...most tapes are dv's but some pre-'97 or so are hi-8, svhs, vhs,.
we've been using the sony rdrgx7 as the recording deck with nice results. until it stopped recording properly and is dropping / freezing frames like a mad man.  swapped out cables, dvd media, playback decks, etc...its the recorder finally giving up after years of work.
i was told that the main reason that this deck was chosen is the fact that it recorded in 'native' widescreen (16:9) for the master dvs that are recorded in 16:9.  im not even sure what that means!
there doesnt seem to be too many quality models to choose from.  some of the panasonics look nice, but im a bit lost in the woods with this one..
can anyone advise a solid machine to help me on this project?
firewire in is a must, along with svhs....

thanks
chris
« Last Edit: December 28, 2009, 10:14:49 AM by ellaguru »

Offline willndmb

Re: stand alone dvd recorder advice needed...
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2009, 09:12:58 AM »
i don't know much about stand alones but if you have 16:9 video you want to try and fine one that will record in 16:9
otherwise you will have video that is "converted" to 4:3 and it will looks smooshed
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline ellaguru

• the wendy hour
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2009, 03:28:03 PM »
i don't know much about stand alones but if you have 16:9 video you want to try and fine one that will record in 16:9
otherwise you will have video that is "converted" to 4:3 and it will looks smooshed

thats *exactly* my prob in finding the right machine

Offline guitard

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2010, 03:29:44 AM »
Yes - the 16:9 vids recorded onto a 4:3 stand alone recorder will come out looking smooshed.  But the video itself is still 16:9 and a quick IFO edit (google for it) will correct the picture aspect ratio and doesn't require any re-encoding.

Have you considered just capturing the video onto a harddrive and doing a quick encode - and then burn them to DVD?  You almost certainly will get better picture quality.  And since you have to capture in real time with the stand alone recorder, it won't take you that much more time.

Other advantages - you can choose your audio quality (.ac3 from 192 up to 448 - or LPCM if it will fit).  And even if you don't have any experience with an NLE, you can easily learn to do minor edits like making sure the intro and outros are smooth, etc.
Mics: Schoeps MK41s & MK41Vs >:D
Pre-amps: BabyNbox & Platinum Nbox
Deck: Sony A10

Video: Canon HF G70 (4K), Sony FDR AX100 (4K), Pany ZS100 (4K)
Photo: Canon EOS 7D w/ Canon EF 70-200mm f/2.8L is III USM

A/V software: Sony Vegas Pro 18 (build 527) 64 bit / DVD Architect Pro 6.0 (build 237)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.169 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com