Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: My old friend McIntosh is back and sounding good  (Read 3227 times)

Offline Flip

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
My old friend McIntosh is back and sounding good
« on: June 02, 2010, 10:32:13 PM »
In 1969, I was 15 and just getting in to music.  I use to go over and listin to music with my great uncle.    He was in to Dixie Land Jazz and man I loved it. 

He told me had been looking at a new stero that sounded great and really wanted to buy it.  He had a tube amp and pre-amp and that he had built from a kit.  It sounded great to me but I was 15 and what did I know.  A couple of weeks later he told to come over and see his new toy.  He had bought a McIntosh C27 pre-amp and McIntosh 250 amp.   When I got there he cranked it up.  I spent a lot of time listing to music with him.  Some times we listing to his jazz and long hair music and some times we listen rock and roll.     

After he passed away, my father was given the McIntosh.  I set it up in the basement and turned it up.  That McIntosh sounded great.  It went through my teenage years both my brother and all three of my kids.  About 10 years ago, it died,  After 30 years and 6 teenagers who could you blame it.  I could never find the money to fix it or someone that could until this year.

There is a place here in Atlanta called Audio Alternative.  They sell and repair McIntosh.  Great folks.  I dropped it off 7 weeks ago and picked up today.  I don't think I could of bought better amp and pre-amp for the $600 it cost to fix them both.  Been sitting her listin to music for a couple of hours now.  It feels like I got a old friend back.  They did a great job.  I should have got'n it fixed a long time ago. 

I think its time to listin to some Dixie Land jazz.  Thanks Uncle Jim for turning me on to music.

I have included a picture of my old friend. 

Flip 

Flip

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: My old friend McIntosh is back and sounding good
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2010, 10:53:00 PM »
congrats! nice classic stuff there.

Offline flipp

• resident curmudgeon
  • Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2010, 10:57:25 PM »
I love stories like this with happy endings.

Nothing like having old friends back.

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #3 on: June 02, 2010, 11:45:06 PM »
congrats! nice classic stuff there.
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #4 on: June 02, 2010, 11:51:43 PM »
Very cool.  The fact that they will service any unit they ever sold still today is part of why they hold their value, what a great example.  Congrats on many hrs of great listening in the future.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline StuStu

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #5 on: June 03, 2010, 04:58:46 PM »
Very nice!
MK5, MK8, MK41, KM184D, CK77, B3 ---CMD 2U XT, KC5, KCY, AKI---KCY Tinybox, Ugly BB---AETA 4MinX, PMD661 MKII, R-26, M-10, MR-1

Offline spyder9

• Trade Count: (82)
  • "Are you Zman?"
    • My Archived shows
« Reply #6 on: June 12, 2010, 10:16:35 PM »
My next home rig upgrade will be McIntosh.  Its the only way to go, IMO.  Thanks for the up!

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #7 on: June 16, 2010, 07:02:44 PM »
My next home rig upgrade will be McIntosh.  Its the only way to go, IMO.  Thanks for the up!

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=136370.0
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.1 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com