Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: switching out my DAC  (Read 2395 times)

Offline MattD

• Taper Emeritus
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
switching out my DAC
« on: June 28, 2010, 09:40:04 PM »
I recently switched from a Mytek Stereo96 DAC to the Benchmark DAC1 HDR. For those of you who know me, you might think I've gone nuts. However, I'm very happy with this change. I think the Benchmark is a better fit for my system (PS Audio GCA-100 > PSB Symphony 6) than the Mytek was. There were also some small additions that I really liked. The plug-and-play USB is a killer feature. It ... just ... works. I was sure I would have to tweak something, but other than changing my output device in foobar, that was it. That feature also allowed me to free up a traditional digital input. The analog input (preamp) is another fantastic addition that I am using.

I think the Benchmark conveys bass better in my system and is more open than the Mytek was. In fairness, it's a small difference. Both are fantastic pieces of gear. If I still owned Von Schweikerts, I might think otherwise. The Mytek was a very good match for them.
Out of the game … for now?

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
Re: switching out my DAC
« Reply #1 on: June 28, 2010, 09:52:17 PM »
have you seen this thing?

http://www.centrance.com/products/dacport/

it looks handy for traveling but you could also connect speakers to it.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2010, 11:06:02 AM »
I have been extremely happy with my recent purchase of the Audio gd FUN

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/FUN/FUNEN.htm

Kingwa (The Guy in China) is very easy to deal with and shipped quickly. You can have it custom or also get the modules to swap in etc.

When I picked it up it was 16/48 over USB and 24/96 on the COAX / Optical. I just noticed he has a new module for the USB to support 24/96 over USB as well as 24/192 on the other inputs

It is a DAC / Headphone AMP / Pre AMP. It drives my AT50's with little effort. I am currently using it as a DAC and headphone amp. Source > FUN > analog > Musichall Mambo > VR2's

It was about $300 or so with shipping. I read a bunch about it over at headfi.org and decided to take a chance. Very solid build construction etc
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2010, 11:29:01 AM »
^^ That FUN DAC looks very nice.  I like the addition of the headphone amp and its ability to run 24/96 over USB.  I've been thinking about swapping out the Mytek lately as well since I tape ever so rarely, and can't really justify keeping such nice gear now that I'm back in school.  Do you order directly through their site?  I only took a quick glance. 
mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant
aercomp2 ■ v2∞3 ■ sx-m2d2
d100 ■ pmd661 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline Jimna

• Zappa for President
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Audio DeutchKraft & Busman Audio
    • F.M.Record Company
« Reply #4 on: June 30, 2010, 11:37:39 AM »
no remote, right?  looks neat.
Co-Founder of F.M.Recording 
SD: Busman Audio BSC1-K1/K2/K3/K4 > Grace Lunatec V3 > Busman Hybrid R4
LD: ADK A-51TL MP > Busman Hybrid R4
+ 48 Channel Multi-track rig

Canon 5D Mark II, Canon 2x Extender Mark III, Canon 15mm f2.8, Canon 85mm f/1.8 USM, Canon 100mm Macro f2.8, Canon 16-35mm L f2.8, Canon 24-70mm L f/2.8, Canon 70-200mm L f2.8 IS, Canon ST-E2, Canon 580ex II (x2), Canon 430ex II, PocketWizard PLUS II(x4), Radiopopper PX System

http://jmimna.com/

Information is not knowledge
Knowledge is not wisdom
Wisdom is not truth
Truth is not beauty
Beauty is not love
Love is not music
Music is THE BEST
-FZ

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #5 on: June 30, 2010, 11:46:30 AM »
^^ That FUN DAC looks very nice.  I like the addition of the headphone amp and its ability to run 24/96 over USB.  I've been thinking about swapping out the Mytek lately as well since I tape ever so rarely, and can't really justify keeping such nice gear now that I'm back in school.  Do you order directly through their site?  I only took a quick glance.

I sent him an e-mail to start the process etc. paypal'd the $$ etc (they sent me an invoice etc) his English is pretty good.

And correct no remote.
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.052 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com