Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Turntable, whats next?  (Read 2212 times)

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
Turntable, whats next?
« on: July 20, 2010, 01:24:35 PM »
i am hoping to win a vintage turntable from ebay, and when that happens, i'll need some other stuff i know...  not a huge budget right now and i am going to hold off for a while on speakers.  my folks have some old bose cabinets lying around and my bother gave me a polk surround system awhile ago. 

i am thinking of using to bose as a simple two channel set up will suffice for all of my vinyl and FM needs, but i might hook up a pair of polks in the kitchen area for more sound in more rooms.  i've been looking into some lower end NAD stuff as thats what an old roommate of mine had.  nothing to fancy, but up to the job. 

i'd say 3-500 is my budget and looking in that range, i can find some name brand stuff like Mcintosh.  this one seemes nice and is for sale locally http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AycdSw0sLE8, but again, i'm not too sure what i need.

i will be building some shelving / stands for the speakers and am not going to worry one bit about treatment (for awhile).

thanks.

* i see.  that is an pre-amp.  i will also need a power amp.  or i can go integrated.  dang.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 02:54:44 PM by spcyrfc »
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

Offline cheshirecat

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Turntable, whats next?
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 03:12:51 PM »
As long as you're going vintage, you can go the all-vintage route... check out the Dynaco Stereo 70 (they made like 300,000 of them) power amp @35wpc and copule it with a PAS 2 or PAS 3 preamp.  It should be about your price range.
SB2 / Rega P1 > Modified Dynaco PAS2 > Modified Dynaco MK-IV monoblocks> Axiom M22 v2

mfrench

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 03:32:13 PM »
there is a forum of spend thrift audio geeks called audiokarma - http://www.audiokarma.org/forums/index.php
They seem to have a knack with older vintage audio gear.  You could go a long way in learning about vintage gear there. Most of them find them at garage sales, thrift shops, etc.
You could get a nice integrated amp, and not worry about having to get a dedicated phono pre for a while (you'll need a phono preamp to get the RIAA EQ curve restored).

Offline spcyrfc

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Live from River City
    • BordersCrossing.net
« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 04:42:00 PM »
thanks guys, i'll check it out.
mkh8040>aerco mp-2>pcmd-50
PFS: AKG 414xls

Record Local

www.borderscrossing.net

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 29 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com