Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Headphone amp with multiple inputs??  (Read 5443 times)

Online Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
Headphone amp with multiple inputs??
« on: October 24, 2010, 02:30:50 PM »
So for a while I've wanted to upgrade my playback system. Right now I just listen to my headphones via my computer/media server.

Ideally I'd get a full playback system with and integrated amp, and some nice speakers, but I don't think my neighbors would be too happy with me, so for now I think the plan is to get a nice headphone amp.

For cans I now own a pair of Sennheiser HD280 Pro's and Grado SR80's. I may upgrade to a nicer pair of Grado's in the future as I really love the SR80's.

This is my criteria for what I'm looking for:

(1) MULTIPLE inputs. At least on analog and one digital. My computer has an optical and SPDIF out on it, and I'd like to use that plus the analog input for hooking up my turntable (via an external phono preamp). USB input is okay if it can pass a 24/94 signal.
(2) Output to pass line signal out. I'd like this for 2 reasons, first to output the signal from the turntable to my computer sound card (Emu 0404) and also to hook up a pair of nicer powered speakers (another future purchase). In case you're interested the short list for the speakers are the B+W MM1's or the Audioengine 5's. The speakers will also be a possible future purchase.
(3) Budget of $500 or less Less is okay/better. This is a temporary solution for me for the next year or so. I'd probably still keep it, but hopefully next year I can buy a place that will allow me to make more noise.

I really like the Grace m902 and it seems to have everything I want and more, but I can't justify spending $1600 on it. I want something that is "medium nice" for now.
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Headphone amp with multiple inputs??
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2010, 03:18:27 PM »
The ibasso D10 comes close if you are looking for a temporary solution. The coax/optical are 24/96 compatible but the usb isn't. It can do line out or headphones (but not simultaneously). Where it sort of fails is passing your analog line source to the speakers. It will pass the digital signal to the speakers but not the analog since it uses the same jack. You could (similar to what some did with the Grace 901) technically connect the line-level in, and connect the speakers to the headphone out and switch the gain setting to high but it's a hack.

$200 or so.

No single box from Audio Global Delivery (audio-gd) or Little-Dot fits the bill as well as that does which were the other two companies I thought might be able to squeeze under that price cap.  :-\

edit: mis-read the outputs on the FUN. (which is sad, cause I almost baught one this summer).  :'(
« Last Edit: October 28, 2010, 02:36:06 PM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline OOK

• Trade Count: (17)
  • formerly OtherOneK
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2010, 11:31:33 PM »
I plan on getting one of these at some point....this might work for you....

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/619458-REG/tc_electronic_967_420011_BMC_2_Digital_Audio_Converter.html
DPA/HEB 4060's > R09HR
MBHO648/KA100Lk/KA200/KA300/KA500 > SD702

Offline kindms

• Trade Count: (6)
    • The Breakfast
« Reply #3 on: October 28, 2010, 01:45:58 PM »
I have mentioned the audio-gd Fun on this board before. I have one and love it. I bought mine when the USB was just 16/48. The new units have USB 24/96 and coax and optical. it can also act as a Pre-amp

Headphone AMP, DAC, Pre

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/FUN/FUNEN.htm

You can also swap different chips etc. The guys english is pretty good and fast e-mail response etc.

If I remember correctly it was like $300 or so
AKG c426, AKG414 XLS/ST, AKG ck61, ck22, >nBob colettes >PFA > V3, SD MixPre >  TCM-Mod Tascam HDP2, Sony M10
Little Bear tube Pre >Outlaw Audio 2200 Monoblocks > VR-2's

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: October 28, 2010, 02:30:09 PM »
I know its a little more than your budget but it can also function as a mic pre amp.

sound devices usb2

has optical in/out as well as spdif and we all know SD makes really nice things. it hasn't been released yet so we have no idea how well it is but it will be out pretty soon.
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2010, 02:36:46 PM »
I have mentioned the audio-gd Fun on this board before. I have one and love it. I bought mine when the USB was just 16/48. The new units have USB 24/96 and coax and optical. it can also act as a Pre-amp

Headphone AMP, DAC, Pre

http://www.audio-gd.com/Pro/Headphoneamp/FUN/FUNEN.htm

You can also swap different chips etc. The guys english is pretty good and fast e-mail response etc.

If I remember correctly it was like $300 or so

Thanks for the clarification. I'd actually even considered getting a FUN earlier this year and spaced on it's outputs when this thread popped up.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2010, 07:41:58 AM »
Still looking/researching my options. Figured I'd post some of what I've found. At this point I have 2 options. I'd like to find a few more if they exist. The AUNE has all the features I want, but I still have some research to do. The HiFiMAN gets good reviews for use with my cans (Grado SR80), but no analog out.

HiFiMAN EF2 USB ($169): Mixed reviews on this. Most reviews say it sounds great with Grado cans and I love my SR80's. Downside is no RCA out.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Head-Direct/EF2/

AUNE Mini USB DAC ($149): This looks pretty interesting. It has USB + SPDIF in AND an Analog input. It also has RCA outs so I can add some powered desktop speakers. I haven't found a lot of reviews on this, so I need to read up on it more. From what I have read it sounds like the HiFiMAN sounds better, but with less features.

http://reviews.audioreview.com/blog/aune-mini-headphone-dac-user-review/

Now to hopefully find an option with the best parts of both of these amps...the search continues.

||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: November 28, 2010, 09:20:40 PM »
Hey, I bought the Matrix Mini i on recommendation and, although I have only had it for a few days, it seems to be a really nice unit and fits you needs.  It has better DAC's and op amps than the ones your looking at. There are a lot of reviews on it and not one has been bad. Search google for the reviews. I think your search might be over.

• I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #8 on: December 01, 2010, 10:29:46 AM »
Hey, I bought the Matrix Mini i on recommendation and, although I have only had it for a few days, it seems to be a really nice unit and fits you needs.  It has better DAC's and op amps than the ones your looking at. There are a lot of reviews on it and not one has been bad. Search google for the reviews. I think your search might be over.

Damn! That looks perfect. Thanks.

I did already buy the HiFiMan. First unit didn't work via USB. I just got a replacement but haven't hooked it up yet. Maybe I will send both back for a refund and get this.

The Digi out is a nice bonus as well.

Thanks.

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: December 01, 2010, 02:36:33 PM »
By all means if you can send the other units back do. I continue to really like the Matrix regardless of price and think you will to.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.065 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com