Gear / Technical Help > Ask The Tapers

Connecting preamp and mics to m-10

(1/3) > >>

ryansee:
I'm very much a beginner still, bought an m10 last year and have only done a few recordings with just the internal mics, nothing else. I finally decided to buy some external mics, some used CA-14s and the guy I bought them from also sold me a church audio ST-20A preamp. I'm gonna be honest and it's embarrassing, but I'm not certain how to use everything and set everything up. Do I still need a battery box? Do the mics go line in, into the preamp, and then use a 3.5mm cable line out into the m10? Do I switch the S20 A up (-27) or  down (+30) for a very loud show at a small club? Should I leave the volume on the m10 at 3? Any help is appreciated, thank you.

jerryfreak:
im not sure of the specs on the st-20, it probably takes the place of a battery box. you want to use the preamp as the primary source of gain, and use the M10 at line-in at 30-50% input gain on the knob

it would be unusual if the preamp had both "-27" and "+30" gain - that would be a huge range

unidentified:
https://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133659.0

ryansee:

--- Quote from: jerryfreak on February 12, 2020, 03:13:46 AM ---im not sure of the specs on the st-20, it probably takes the place of a battery box. you want to use the preamp as the primary source of gain, and use the M10 at line-in at 30-50% input gain on the knob

it would be unusual if the preamp had both "-27" and "+30" gain - that would be a huge range

--- End quote ---

thank you, based on another post about the preamp i think it's possible the numbers are misprinted, not sure though. Actually I just found a thread in which church audio said it actually means "+6db and +30db". Which should I set it to when recording?

ilduclo:
Go to some shows that you don't care about recording, try different reccommended combinations of the setup.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version