Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: anyone ever used a UPS?  (Read 1963 times)

Offline Lexus507

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
anyone ever used a UPS?
« on: March 15, 2006, 08:11:16 PM »
I found a rackmountable UPS and since i will need to power a laptop as well as a firewire interface i though it might work out. Does anyone have any experience with these? I will probably have my rack setup with this
http://www.music123.com/Gator-Studio-2-Go--GSR2U-i128944.music
and then a backpack with mics and cords. I will be recording through a presonus firepod.

Roving Sign

Re: anyone ever used a UPS?
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2006, 08:28:49 PM »
Dont know about the UPS - but I have the same Gator Studio 2 Go bag...

Very nice...although, Im probably going to abandon my dbx386 preamp - the tubes generate a good bit of heat...So installed my Behringer Ultragain tube pre - it uses a single tube, running at a lower voltage...not as nice as the dbx - but Ok if you consider it a solid state pre...and it doesnt really get hot...

I suppose I could just mount the dbx in the middle...its really all I need in most cases...(has A/d built in...)

But I often like to use the Behringer Ultramatch 24/96 A/D -

I dont do lappy recording yet - so I use the upper compartment for headphones and my nomads...

So - heat is the issue - not sure if a UPS makes any...

I still dont have everything in one bag - my carry-in is insane...3 bags on good night!

Offline JasonR

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Schoepsoholic
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2006, 09:01:51 PM »
Rack mounted UPS units, or for that matter any UPS with really significant capacity, are really freakin' heavy.  I hope you checked out the weight before ordering if you're hoping to have a quasi-portable rig.  Don't mean to piss in your cornflakes or anything.

If you're just looking to power a laptop, I'd imagine there are a lot of more portable solutions.

- Jason
Schoeps MK21,MK4,MK41,MK41V,MK8 > CMC5/Naiant Tinybox/PFAs > Sound Devices 744T, Sony PCM-M10
DPA 4060 (CS HEB) > SD 744T, M10

Offline fozzy

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2006, 10:16:43 PM »
I use UPSes a lot but not for taping.  Heavy and ineficient for our purposes.  Most have fans and non-efficient AC transformers.   Good if you are powering from a generator or need temporary diconnect from the grid.  If you are looking to power taping gear I would got the SLA + automotive AC inverter

FWIW: every 5000KVA UPS I have seen uses SLAs
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Offline mfisch

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2006, 11:11:47 AM »
agree with fozzy. A standard rackmount UPS designed for PC gear is not what you want for taping. Very inefficient as far as weight-size/power ratio (especially since your gear is DC).

Now, you can build your own UPS specially designed for your gear .. but doing this properly requires a moderate amount of electrical engineering.

Have you considered simply buying a large SLA battery (these come in 6V, 12V or 24V versions)? Look for the deep cycle versions. You´ll also need an accompanying sla gell cell charger.

If 6-12-24 isnt what you want, or you need a combination thereof. Take a look at ´car computer´ power supplies. These voltage regulators and converters are usually capable of 5V, 12V and 19V outputs and will make sure your battery isnt sucked dry (creating a memory issue). You might want one of these regardless if the SLA gives the voltage you need. Keep in mind a battery´s voltage will change during discharge, and a regulator like this is designed specifically to output a steady voltage.

I use UPSes a lot but not for taping.  Heavy and ineficient for our purposes.  Most have fans and non-efficient AC transformers.   Good if you are powering from a generator or need temporary diconnect from the grid.  If you are looking to power taping gear I would got the SLA + automotive AC inverter

FWIW: every 5000KVA UPS I have seen uses SLAs
SP C4's > FA-101 > MacMini
whats wrong with lead?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.072 seconds with 33 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com