Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Ideal card speed for writing audio to flash media?  (Read 4302 times)

Offline Jamos

• Trade Count: (61)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Ideal card speed for writing audio to flash media?
« on: September 20, 2006, 10:30:54 PM »
So in another thread there was a discussion about how the newer, faster SD and Compact Flash cards write data in a "burst" mode, rather than a continuous writing mode...and how this could lead to dropouts or problems when writing large, continuous audio files.  It was recommended that slower speed cards would be more ideal for audio, and the faster cards are better for things like photography.

I'm looking at buying a 2GB SD card for my new R-09, and have seen older cards that are 45x, and new cards that hover around 130x. 

What is the ideal card speed to buy for audio?

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Ideal card speed for writing audio to flash media?
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2006, 10:49:24 PM »
the microtrack is the only recorder i have seen people flat out say slow is better for
others like the hd-p2 people have used 120-150 and had no probs
:/
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2006, 11:33:42 PM »
You may as well get a 4gig for the r09.  The transcend one works well for me and quite often you can find them for less than $70 on sale.  That way no worries on swapping batteries or cards during a show.  I think the transcend one that I have is 150X
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2006, 11:40:15 PM »
You may as well get a 4gig for the r09.  The transcend one works well for me and quite often you can find them for less than $70 on sale.  That way no worries on swapping batteries or cards during a show.  I think the transcend one that I have is 150X

I'll probably get a 4GB eventually, but for now a 2GB card can be had for around $30...

I've heard folks say that the 150x cards work fine for them, but I wonder if that is really the ideal speed.

Offline agave

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2006, 03:44:36 AM »
Doug Oade told me stick with the 2gb cards. swap them out as needed as redunency is best ... don't put all yer egges in the same basket yer sure to lose all at some point >>>   agin this is all I M H O   only..

Offline Jamos

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2006, 03:52:20 AM »

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2006, 12:28:01 PM »
Remember... Your talking about SD cards and not CF.  Not everything works the same between the two.  Two different technologies.

The 2 gigs are cheeper but these cards are really small.  I was going to go and get a few 2 gigs but am pretty paranoid about possibily loosing one when when switching in a show.  Shoot... After a beer or two sometimes I can't find my mini LED flashlight and thats a good deal bigger.

I agree in some ways about not putting all your eggs in one basket and do that for my digital camera.  However, Solid state media fails very rarely.  I've been usining it in cameras and now recorders for at least 5-6 years and never had one fail.   Also, there have been several shows I've been to that a single set recorded at 24/48 would fill the 2 gig card.  No way I want to swap that card out of the R-9 in the middle of a set.  In between sets bothers me enough.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.059 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com