Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Mic2496 V2 - first sighting  (Read 8878 times)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Mic2496 V2 - first sighting
« Reply #15 on: August 08, 2008, 08:21:54 AM »
mshilarious, two things.

> Stick with 2 or 3mA, and you should be OK.

No, you shouldn't. There are good microphones from AKG, Neumann, Schoeps, Shure, CAD, Earthworks and other manufacturers that won't run, or won't run correctly, within that limitation. If you're looking for a compromise, I'd propose 5.5 mA per mike. That will exclude some CAD and Earthworks models but it should cover all the rest.

At 7 mA you reach a break-even point--drawing more current than that means dropping so much voltage across the 6.8 kOhm phantom feed resistors that less power is actually available to the microphone, the more current it draws beyond that point. In my universe the manufacturers would be reasonable and stop there--but "I only work here."

The other point (I won't quote you back) is about the noise level of the phantom supply. This is largely an unwarranted concern, and the "specifications" being offered have little bearing on reality. It's admirable to build a quiet DC supply, and all other things being equal, I'd try to build a quiet supply also, just as a matter of personal pride. But the phantom powering method (as contrasted with "modulation lead" or "T" powering) is inherently immune to supply noise, because the circuit guarantees that it will occur in equal amounts on both signal lines at the same time. Thus any hash or ripple or other gunk in the phantom supply is a "common mode signal" and is suppressed just like any other common mode signal at the input to the preamp or recorder.

This is why professional audio uses balanced connections in the first place! For professional-quality studio microphones and preamps, common mode suppression can amount to 70 - 80 dB under good conditions. Even under bad conditions (e.g. long cable with unequal resistance in its two modulation leads) you'd probably still get 50 dB of common mode immunity. It's not that hard to build a phantom power supply in which the noise from the supply itself would be, say, 10 dB below the noise level of the microphone at all frequencies.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2008, 12:25:28 AM »
mshilarious, now that I re-read your posting I see that you were indeed talking about the preamp noise and not the phantom supply noise. Sorry. It's the manufacturer, not you, who's been touting an absurdly low noise spec for a phantom power supply, without any hint of awareness that past a certain point, it will do no further good.

And agreed, a single 9-Volt battery isn't enough to power a pair of modern, transformerless condenser microphones for long. But a pair of 9-Volt batteries will pretty much cover you even for a long concert, I think. Normally I don't choose microphones just to go with a particular power supply; I choose a power supply to suit the microphones I intend to use. Again, it's a matter of priorities. Using a single 9-Volt battery rather than a pair of them isn't the most important thing to me.

--best regards
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline surf1div1

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2008, 03:49:34 PM »
Thanks for the feedback DSatz- this is why this website is so invaluable for those considering purchasing from anyone. It's also how I found out about Chris Church's equipment and also confirms that I'm not the only sucker that purchased from Core. As I stated earlier in this thread, I have a battery supply for my mics, and would not trust the power supply of the MIC 2496 past 90 Minutes. I've also had too many recordings wasted by trying more without a battery sled. Which kind of defeats the whole idea of going 'stealth' as the promo on Core site suggests it being the smallest etc. out there. When you add all that other bulk, what are you really getting? It kind of defeat's for me the utility- and were only talking battery supply.
mshilarious, now that I re-read your posting I see that you were indeed talking about the preamp noise and not the phantom supply noise. Sorry. It's the manufacturer, not you, who's been touting an absurdly low noise spec for a phantom power supply, without any hint of awareness that past a certain point, it will do no further good.
And agreed, a single 9-Volt battery isn't enough to power a pair of modern, transformerless condenser microphones for long. But a pair of 9-Volt batteries will pretty much cover you even for a long concert, I think. Normally I don't choose microphones just to go with a particular power supply; I choose a power supply to suit the microphones I intend to use. Again, it's a matter of priorities. Using a single 9-Volt battery rather than a pair of them isn't the most important thing to me.

--best regards
DPA 4061>CHURCH CA UGLY Pre-AMP
>Roland R-07> 32 GB Sandisk Extreme Pro SD

Offline Len Moskowitz (Core Sound)

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Core Sound
« Reply #18 on: October 24, 2008, 10:31:06 AM »
And agreed, a single 9-Volt battery isn't enough to power a pair of modern, transformerless condenser microphones for long. But a pair of 9-Volt batteries will pretty much cover you even for a long concert, I think.

And a small external battery pack will power it for a entire festival.

Mic2496 V2 uses a P48 circuit very similar to the very efficient circuitry in our 2Phant.  It's completely different than the original Mic2496 (V1) circuit.

V2 also offers a LiPo rechargable battery option that last two to three times longer than a 9 Volt alkaline battery.
« Last Edit: February 27, 2010, 10:25:24 PM by Len Moskowitz (Core Sound) »
Len Moskowitz
Core Sound
www.core-sound.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.04 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com