Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: What to do about people on cell phones?  (Read 7205 times)

backwhereubelong

• Trade Count: (0)
What to do about people on cell phones?
« on: October 09, 2015, 10:49:30 AM »
I was wondering what to do about all these people on cell phones.  I found this and it might help ...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SZiEFpC9Wg

Now if we could just stop the talkers.  Any advice?

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
Re: What to do about people on cell phones?
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2015, 11:39:09 AM »
Love it. the Marky Ramone biography should be good as well.    >:D 8) ;D
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2015, 03:18:13 PM »
You just have to make sure Marky Ramone comes to the concert with you.  He'll take care of bidness. ;)

Offline SxPxDxCx

• Trade Count: (1)
    • THATSTHETHINGABOUTTHAT.blogspot
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2015, 05:08:32 PM »
I saw a band, Machine Gun Blues, this summer at Denver's Underground Music Showcase.  They were playing one of the many backyard shows that happen in the area of the fest.
Someone right up front was trying to take a picture with his cell phone and the singer grabbed it out of his hand and threw it over the fence into the next yard.
"Man will never be free until the last king is strangled with the entrails of the last priest." - Denis Diderot:

MBHO KA 500 / KA 200N > Naiant IPAs / JKLabs > PCM-M10
AT933 C >SP-SPSB-1 > PCM-M10

Offline darktrain

• Trade Count: (715)
  • Whats next?
« Reply #4 on: October 10, 2015, 09:10:54 AM »
Danzig was hqving people thrown out of the venue if he caught you trying to take a photo during the show last time I saw him....he was literally pointing at people to security as he was singing.

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2015, 10:08:12 AM »
I saw a band, Machine Gun Blues, this summer at Denver's Underground Music Showcase.  They were playing one of the many backyard shows that happen in the area of the fest.
Someone right up front was trying to take a picture with his cell phone and the singer grabbed it out of his hand and threw it over the fence into the next yard.

They may have gotten their cue from Peter Frampton. > http://www.cbsnews.com/news/peter-frampton-throws-audience-member-cell-phone-at-indiana-concert/

Offline perks

• Trade Count: (31)
    • Recordings uploaded to TTD
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2015, 01:00:13 PM »
I've been to Prince shows where he's got as many people looking for cell phones as there are people in the audience.

If they catch you with a phone out you are immediately shown the door.
Mics: Schoeps MK5's, Schoeps MK41's, AT853's (C,SC,H,O), DPA 4061's
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

stevetoney

« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2015, 08:59:57 PM »
I've been to Prince shows where he's got as many people looking for cell phones as there are people in the audience.

If they catch you with a phone out you are immediately shown the door.

Prince is one guy I'd love to stealth just to feel all warm inside after I got the show recorded that I'd done something that would completely piss him off if he'd only known.   >:D >:D

EDIT:  To be clear, I do think he's a pretty amazing artist.  It's just that his kinda freakish desire to control his media empire and/or his audience are pretty off-putting.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2015, 09:22:31 PM by tonedeaf »

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #8 on: October 16, 2015, 05:35:34 AM »
Maybe it's just me but in today's world if an artist gets that pissed about a cell phone then they are not the type of artist I have interest in seeing or being around. I get that phones can be distracting and every thn but kicking people out shows what a cry baby dick you are IMO.
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

stevetoney

« Reply #9 on: October 16, 2015, 08:53:19 AM »
Maybe it's just me but in today's world if an artist gets that pissed about a cell phone then they are not the type of artist I have interest in seeing or being around. I get that phones can be distracting and every thn but kicking people out shows what a cry baby dick you are IMO.

Its not you.  Nacissism is a mental dysfunction that seems to be spreading. 

Offline perks

« Reply #10 on: October 16, 2015, 10:02:43 AM »
I was at a Hugh Masekela show where he asked a couple sitting stage lip to put away their phone and the 2 idiots in the audience laughed at him, ignored him, and then talked back to him when he explained that its disrespectful to him and the rest of the audience.

Hugh Masekela is a crybaby dick?

I dont think he's the one with the problem.
Preamps/converters: Schoeps VMS52UB (x2), Nbox (x2), E.A.A. PSP-2 (x2) Grace Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2, DPA MMA6000, Naiant Tinybox v1.5, Naiant PiPsqueak, Church Ugly, Apogee Mini-Me, Benchmark AD2k+
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Korg MR-1, Edirol R-05, Sony PCM-M10 (x2), Tascam DR-07, Marantz PMD-661, Sound Devices Mixpre-3

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #11 on: October 16, 2015, 10:28:55 AM »

Personally, if people are on their phones, that usually means they aren't talking, so between the lesser of the two evils, I'll take the phone.

As with most things there's a context and an 'up to a point' with it. Taking a few photos here and there is IMHO just fine; I do it myself. Tweeting during a show, texting, etc -- most artists should be happy if people are promoting their stuff during a show. Not-okay, though, is when it's obviously bothering others -- that phone being in someone's face the entire show as you take videos of full songs from in front of a bunch of people, constant photos as if you're a real photog. Turned-around selfies "with the band" in the front are a no-no. Really anything the artist can see, such as people texting or taking photos constantly in the front row, seems pretty not-cool. But again, there's a context. A folk or jazz show is not the same as some electronic DJ thing or Motley Crue...
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

stevetoney

« Reply #12 on: October 16, 2015, 10:51:50 AM »
^ I was in the process of responding about the same way.  Imho when one person imposes themselves over another that's when the line gets crossed...and i think that applies equally whether you're in the aud or youre the artist.  So in the case of audience members to me it's ok to text and maybe even comment a bit...not ok to carry on an extensive conversation and hold your phone up to video a show for ten minutes at a time.  For the artist, it's ok to tell a douche to chill or whatever, not ok to try to censor all use of phones and social media or think ppl are out to rip you off if they snap a cell phone pic or three.
« Last Edit: October 16, 2015, 10:53:47 AM by tonedeaf »

Offline perks

« Reply #13 on: October 16, 2015, 11:04:02 AM »

Personally, if people are on their phones, that usually means they aren't talking, so between the lesser of the two evils, I'll take the phone.

that's just it. Everybody knows they are both evils. Remember the days when people would go into a booth to make a phone call? They would shut the door in a tiny cramped space so no one else could hear what they were doing. Today people think that they are entitled to be disruptive. Everyone else go fuck themselves. I need to update my facebook page with a selfie announcing that I'm here at the show not paying attention to the art with my 3 friends that I need to tag in the photo so we all get credit for being here.

I agree with you that there is a huge difference between being an inconsiderate asshole at a Skrilex show and being one at solo pianist performance. At Skrilex everybody's an asshole just for being there. There is no line to be drawn. At a Chick Corea performance if you are the douche that cant pay attention to the art you should leave and go in the lobby so the rest of the audience doesn't need to be distracted by your foolishness.

Just speaking in general not directed at anyone in particular.

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2015, 11:12:58 AM »

that's just it. Everybody knows they are both evils. Remember the days when people would go into a booth to make a phone call? They would shut the door in a tiny cramped space so no one else could hear what they were doing. Today people think that they are entitled to be disruptive. Everyone else go fuck themselves. I need to update my facebook page with a selfie announcing that I'm here at the show not paying attention to the art with my 3 friends that I need to tag in the photo so we all get credit for being here.

I agree with you that there is a huge difference between being an inconsiderate asshole at a Skrilex show and being one at solo pianist performance. At Skrilex everybody's an asshole just for being there. There is no line to be drawn. At a Chick Corea performance if you are the douche that cant pay attention to the art you should leave and go in the lobby so the rest of the audience doesn't need to be distracted by your foolishness.

Just speaking in general not directed at anyone in particular.

LOL at that line.

Personally I find the "selfie with the band" (i.e., stand at stage lip, turn around, during song, with flash on, and take picture of you and dumbass friend with artist playing behind you) to be the lowest of the art form of assholery I've seen. Usually practiced, IME, by stupid tourists. Which is true of much assholery I see in this city in general.
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.076 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com