Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Benchmark DAC1 question  (Read 2910 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Benchmark DAC1 question
« on: February 26, 2014, 08:17:44 AM »
I finally got around to trying balanced cables with my DAC1. What I didn't realize is that the balanced XLR outputs are pretty much line level and the trim dials do nothing to the gain. So I guess if you want to use balanced headphone cables the gain is what it is? I like to crank it. :djsmilie:

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: Benchmark DAC1 question
« Reply #1 on: February 26, 2014, 01:21:07 PM »
There are jumpers inside the DAC1 to match the XLR line level output to fit your powered speakers or amp to speaker chain. 

I use the XLR outputs of My DAC1 feeding the XLR inputs of my powered monitor speakers and I control the overall level/volume from the DAC1 so the rear panel switch is set to volume.  The level/volume control of the DAC1 also still controls the level of the headphones.  I don't run/listen to headphones with the speakers on so there's no conflict there, you can run your cans at a different level but if they require a higher level setting than your amp/speakers then you'll need to be sure to turn it down before turning on your amp/speakers.  The way I'm setup headphone level setting is really pretty much the same as for my powered speakers with the K14 scale of K-System convention.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 01:24:42 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #2 on: February 26, 2014, 01:41:15 PM »
There are jumpers inside the DAC1 to match the XLR line level output to fit your powered speakers or amp to speaker chain. 

I use the XLR outputs of My DAC1 feeding the XLR inputs of my powered monitor speakers and I control the overall level/volume from the DAC1 so the rear panel switch is set to volume.  The level/volume control of the DAC1 also still controls the level of the headphones.  I don't run/listen to headphones with the speakers on so there's no conflict there, you can run your cans at a different level but if they require a higher level setting than your amp/speakers then you'll need to be sure to turn it down before turning on your amp/speakers.  The way I'm setup headphone level setting is really pretty much the same as for my powered speakers with the K14 scale of K-System convention.

Thanks Sharon. So using the XLR's really doesn't make any sense for head phones, unless you like low volumes. I guess I'll go back to the front panel outputs. Are you going to Buffalo next week?

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
« Reply #3 on: February 26, 2014, 01:59:43 PM »

Thanks Sharon. So using the XLR's really doesn't make any sense for head phones, unless you like low volumes. I guess I'll go back to the front panel outputs. Are you going to Buffalo next week?

You're welcome Tony!  Correct the balanced outputs are not intended for headphones.  Love the DAC1, it's a great unit and form factor.  I saw their new model (DAC2 HGC) at the AES show back in October, it looks even sweeter adding some features of a dedicated monitor controller that would be nice.  Real steep in price though so I don't see myself switching over to it, the DAC1 is fine and my DAW software already offers the extra monitor controller features Benchmark added.

I didn't get tickets for Buffalo or for any of the shows this tour, I was partially afraid the weather would make travel unpleasant and I missed out of the pre-sales.  I kind of kicking myself for it now even though the weather has been poor this winter so I am open to the Buffalo show at this point.  Do you know anyone with an extra Taper Ticket?  Are you going to be at the Buffalo show and/or which shows did you get for this run?   I don't know if Buffalo is a GA show or may even have sold out by now as some of the shows have been.
« Last Edit: February 26, 2014, 02:11:12 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.063 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com