Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Portable DSD Recorders  (Read 15855 times)

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Portable DSD Recorders
« Reply #15 on: January 02, 2019, 02:25:39 PM »

I got a MR-1000 off  ebay for $500 and successfully recorded the Oteil & Friends New Years show. It sound s awesome but now I am wondering what people do to share the recordings. I am planning on DSD > WAV @ 24/48 but do people share the dff files themselves? Is there a way to combine the files the Korg creates? Can you track DFF files?

ps I used a 12v battery and powering the device was not a problem.
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #16 on: January 02, 2019, 07:54:43 PM »

I got a MR-1000 off  ebay for $500 and successfully recorded the Oteil & Friends New Years show. It sound s awesome but now I am wondering what people do to share the recordings. I am planning on DSD > WAV @ 24/48 but do people share the dff files themselves? Is there a way to combine the files the Korg creates? Can you track DFF files?

You need to use Korg AUDIOGATE

https://www.korg.com/us/products/audio/audiogate4/download.php

In that download is also ds-dac setup which you do NOT need to install  unless you have a Korg DAC.

You can combine,split,(i guess you could split all the tracks)but i only split off the excess beginning and ending and than EXPORT a new DSF MASTER file for archive and listening on my Korg DSD DAC.

You can also EXPORT to WAV.

I export to 24bit 176.4 khz and than use my normal audio editor to make further changes(EQ,etc.)

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
« Reply #17 on: January 02, 2019, 08:39:55 PM »
Do you feel that your DSD recordings lose any of the qualities that you like when they're exported to PCM (WAV, etc.)?
« Last Edit: January 02, 2019, 08:42:04 PM by DSatz »
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2019, 07:25:55 AM »

In that download is also ds-dac setup which you do NOT need to install  unless you have a Korg DAC.

You can combine,split,(i guess you could split all the tracks)but i only split off the excess beginning and ending and than EXPORT a new DSF MASTER file for archive and listening on my Korg DSD DAC.

I export to 24bit 176.4 khz and than use my normal audio editor to make further changes(EQ,etc.)

Thank you very much!
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2019, 04:28:20 PM »
Do you feel that your DSD recordings lose any of the qualities that you like when they're exported to PCM (WAV, etc.)?
And if not, then why record DSD?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline Charlie Miller

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Come On, Get Happy
« Reply #20 on: January 04, 2019, 09:15:00 PM »

Try dbpoweramp. It's faster than the korg software.
Audio Engineer & Archivist for Steve Kimock Productions

Schoeps CMC6/MK4, AKG 460/CK61, AKG C34
Sound Devices 744T
Dante Multitrack Rig

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2019, 04:40:22 AM »

Bumping an old thread.

Does anyone want to comment on this?

I'm experiencing the other way around, as sometimes I "upsample" to DSD in audirvana+ to my mytek DSD DAC, as with most things in audio, when listening sighted, I feel I hear a difference. But I don't trust myself....
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Online voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2019, 06:14:54 AM »

Bumping an old thread.

Does anyone want to comment on this?

I'm experiencing the other way around, as sometimes I "upsample" to DSD in audirvana+ to my mytek DSD DAC, as with most things in audio, when listening sighted, I feel I hear a difference. But I don't trust myself....

There is a real possibility that you are presenting your DAC with a data stream it processes more accurately than others.  Not all DACs do equally well with everything that is thrown their way.  In other words, your Mytek may do a better job converting a DSD stream than it does PCM, or it may just sound "different" which you perceive as "better".

There are all kinds of things written about how upsampling PCM to higher rates/depths may or may not have benefits.  I haven't ever heard of someone saying that converting PCM to DSD giving an audible benefit, but it may be upsampling a lower-rate PCM to a higher one first before the DSD conversion.

As far as recording directly to DSD, I think it doesn't make much sense unless you (a) are not going to edit or process the files at all (which would cause them to be converted to PCM anyway), and (b) send them straight to a DAC that natively decodes DSD.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2019, 08:29:45 AM »

There is a real possibility that you are presenting your DAC with a data stream it processes more accurately than others.  Not all DACs do equally well with everything that is thrown their way.  In other words, your Mytek may do a better job converting a DSD stream than it does PCM, or it may just sound "different" which you perceive as "better”

Yes. This is why I set it up this way. But pretty lights and a bright “hdsd” lcd readout tends to create some expectation bias.

I’d love to hear some DSD masters from people who have recorded this way.
Recording:
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2019, 09:13:04 AM »
I recorded a whole John Kadlecik Band run last month as well as Oteil & Friends on New years (SBD and in some cases SBD + microphones on stage) .  Aside from the fact that the music might not interested you, I have no idea how to "distribute" them other than resampling using PCM.

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2019, 03:37:26 PM »
I recorded a whole John Kadlecik Band run last month as well as Oteil & Friends on New years (SBD and in some cases SBD + microphones on stage) .  Aside from the fact that the music might not interested you, I have no idea how to "distribute" them other than resampling using PCM.

why can't you upload the DSF or DFF files?
Recording:

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #26 on: February 26, 2019, 04:04:52 PM »

There is a real possibility that you are presenting your DAC with a data stream it processes more accurately than others.  Not all DACs do equally well with everything that is thrown their way.  In other words, your Mytek may do a better job converting a DSD stream than it does PCM, or it may just sound "different" which you perceive as "better”

Yes. This is why I set it up this way. But pretty lights and a bright “hdsd” lcd readout tends to create some expectation bias.

I’d love to hear some DSD masters from people who have recorded this way.

I sent you a wetransfer link with some samples.

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: February 26, 2019, 05:31:19 PM »

why can't you upload the DSF or DFF files?

They are DFF files. I could upload them, but each set is a Proj directory with lots of DFF files.   I havent had time to research if there is a more standardized way to distribute them.

Offline Nick's Picks

• I thought I heard.......
« Reply #28 on: March 02, 2019, 12:45:34 PM »
back in my DSD days, I really did like the sound of DSD > PCM 16/44.1 .    Was it better than any other straight to PCM recording?   probably not.  But I liked it.  I perceived a smoothness ...

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #29 on: March 02, 2019, 01:35:43 PM »
back in my DSD days, I really did like the sound of DSD > PCM 16/44.1 .    Was it better than any other straight to PCM recording?   probably not.  But I liked it.  I perceived a smoothness ...

I agree 100%!
The files are a pain in the ass, but you can re-lable them right in the deck and archive them and spit them out at any bit rate later, and I still sit on my MR1 as the best mini recorder for 2-channel recording.
once again, lost in all the noise

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.091 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com