Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AA Batteries? What's the best rechargeables?  (Read 23962 times)

Offline justink

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection All-Star
AA Batteries? What's the best rechargeables?
« on: October 12, 2017, 11:00:59 AM »
What do we have in 2017?

does the charger matter at all?  or is it all in the battery itself? 

i figure any charger will charge, the only variable is how quickly.  so, i shouldn't need to upgrade my charger, just the battery itself, right?
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 11:02:39 AM by justink »
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
DPA 4018V (Supercardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Grace Design Lunatec V3 (Oade ACM)
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Sound Devices MixPre10 II
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: AA Batteries? What's the best rechargeables?
« Reply #1 on: October 12, 2017, 11:46:07 AM »
Panasonic Eneloop Pro
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #2 on: October 12, 2017, 12:04:03 PM »
Panasonic Eneloop Pro

Thought so.

Would an energizer charger work just fine with these?
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline GLouie

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 12, 2017, 02:19:02 PM »
I think any of the Eneloop family is the gold standard for AA NiMHs. Some have a bit more power, but less cycles.

I also feel the charger makes a difference, dumb vs. smart. You can balance charge time, heat & cell life, and the charger should use the dV/dt charge sensing and be reliable at detecting end of charge.

Personally, I use a Maha-Powerex MH-C9000, although there are several others well thought of. My understanding is that the charge rate should optimally be about 0.5-1C, so a 2000mAh Eneloop should be charged at 1000mA-2000mA. I understand that this Maha undercharges slightly and does a tiny trickle charge after it says, "full," but never totally shuts off. You are supposed to remove the cells after an overnight charge & sit, I guess.

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: October 12, 2017, 07:57:34 PM »
I've been using the 2400 mAh Duracell Ion Core for a few years, and they are excellent.  They are re-branded Eneloop XX's but cheaper and often found in supermarkets and drugstores.

Here is testing showing that these are the same as Eneloop XX.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 12, 2017, 09:48:30 PM »
I've been using the 2400 mAh Duracell Ion Core for a few years, and they are excellent.  They are re-branded Eneloop XX's but cheaper and often found in supermarkets and drugstores.

Here is testing showing that these are the same as Eneloop XX.

Interesting. I have to double check but I think this is what I bought last time. (Those Duracell’s)
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
« Reply #6 on: October 21, 2017, 08:20:49 PM »
I use Duracell and Eneloop
Both work fine, both work in each other's charger fine.
I actually think I get much better run times on my m10 with the Duracell, granted they are slightly more powerful but the difference in run time seems like it's not equal
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2017, 05:41:29 PM »
My opinion...batteries are sorta like mic capsules...different designs for different situations.  So IMHO, there's no right answer.

I think it's more important to focus on the technical specs of the battery, which mainly consists of the battery chemistry and capacity...than the brand name.  Then apply those specs to your specific piece of gear.  It's not always intuitively obvious what the specs should be, just like it's not always intuitively obvious which mic capsules would work best when you walk into a venue.

Lots of people are calling out Eneloops, but most of the Eneloop designs are low discharge...which means that they'll hold their charge of a long period of time.  But low discharge batteries also have disadvantages...I can't remember off the top what the down side of the low discharge battery is...seems like it's higher internal resistance. 

Google battery university and spend two or three hours there and you'll learn alot. 

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
« Reply #9 on: November 02, 2017, 08:07:49 PM »
https://wavreport.com/2017/05/21/review-ikea-rechargeable-batteries/

That's awesome!  Now that my Duracells are showing signs of fatigue, I'm going to try these next.  Have you tried them yourself?  If so, what charger do you like with them?
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline rippleish20

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2017, 12:27:51 AM »

That's awesome!  Now that my Duracells are showing signs of fatigue, I'm going to try these next.  Have you tried them yourself?  If so, what charger do you like with them?

I havent tried them yet nut Im going to.

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline fanofjam

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #12 on: November 04, 2017, 09:33:12 PM »

Holy moly.  Thanks for the tip.  For anyone in the Atlanta area, they have the four packs of both AA (2450mah) and AAA (900mah) for only $3.99 a pack!!  I picked up eight packs. 

Offline eman

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Return of the Shredi
« Reply #13 on: November 15, 2017, 01:42:28 PM »
I got the Powerex charger and it works great, once I figured out the programming sequence. The trouble with our hobby is that if you run one show the batteries are far from discharged so it is hard to get them fully charged again. The Powerex will discharge then recharge to capacity. It also analyzes to tell you your batteries are shot, which a lot of them were. I use the shot ones for remotes which don't need a lot of juice and not such a critical function. You can set the charge/discharge rate low or high, depending on how urgent your need is. If you have plenty of time, you can do a nice slow charge which for me is every time pretty much. I don't know how accurate it is, but it also estimates how many mAh each battery has when you are done charging. Definitely a huge improvement on the cheapo hardware store models which operate on a timer and wear out your batteries prematurely, overheating them. Worth the investment.
Theologically speaking, the two parties have divided the Seven Deadly Sins as follows: Republicans oppose lust, sloth and envy; Democrats scorn gluttony, greed, wrath and pride. Little progress is reported. -Gene Lyons

Offline justink

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #14 on: November 15, 2017, 11:18:12 PM »
I got the Powerex charger and it works great, once I figured out the programming sequence. The trouble with our hobby is that if you run one show the batteries are far from discharged so it is hard to get them fully charged again. The Powerex will discharge then recharge to capacity. It also analyzes to tell you your batteries are shot, which a lot of them were. I use the shot ones for remotes which don't need a lot of juice and not such a critical function. You can set the charge/discharge rate low or high, depending on how urgent your need is. If you have plenty of time, you can do a nice slow charge which for me is every time pretty much. I don't know how accurate it is, but it also estimates how many mAh each battery has when you are done charging. Definitely a huge improvement on the cheapo hardware store models which operate on a timer and wear out your batteries prematurely, overheating them. Worth the investment.

sounds cool.  got a link?  thanks.
Mics:
DPA 4023 (Cardioid)
DPA 4028 (Subcardioid)
Earthworks TC25 (Omni) 

Pres and A/D's:
Edirol UA-5 (bm2p+ Mod)

Recorders:
Edirol R-44 (Oade CM)
Sony PCM‑M10

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.071 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com