Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Are Ikea's $7 Rechargeable Batteries Actually Pricey Eneloop Pro AAs in Disguise  (Read 12260 times)

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Eschew obfuscation
^No need to discharge fully prior to recharge.  NiMH does not have a "memory effect" like NiCad chemistry cells.

:cheers: Thanks! So much different info out there, I just wasn't sure.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
I picked up a set of Ladda 2450 and a Ladda 4x charger. When fully loaded my analog battery tester says the batteries are Low on power, not Good. Used them for the first time yesterday with my Sony M10 and after two hours the power was down to half. Is this normal? Not what I expected.

Did you change your battery type on the M10? There is a setting in the menu to tell it what kind of batteries you are using to get an accurate reading. My first set got 12-14 actual recording time and they still had a bar or 2 left.
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
I picked up a set of Ladda 2450 and a Ladda 4x charger. When fully loaded my analog battery tester says the batteries are Low on power, not Good. Used them for the first time yesterday with my Sony M10 and after two hours the power was down to half. Is this normal? Not what I expected.

Nominal voltage for NiMH is 1.2V compared to 1.5V for alkaline cells.  So a battery tester set for or intended for alkaline cells will indicate low voltage, and any built-in charge indicator in whatever device you use them in instead of alkaline cells needs to be set for NiMH in order for the metering to be correctly calibrated.  As lad2525 notes, you'll want to change the battery type setting in your recorder's setup menu.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline nak700s

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
https://gizmodo.com/are-ikeas-7-rechargeable-batteries-actually-pricey-ene-1823204061

There was a thread on here about these a while back. I actually bought 8 AA's. They were precharged, and on the 1st set I got probably 12-14 recording on the M10 and they aren't dead yet.

An M-10 will run for approximately 50 hours on a pair of good alkaline batteries like Duracell, Energizer, Kirkland, etc.  Personally, I will run shows until I lose count of how many I've done until the battery indicator is down to the last bar...and will change them out of fear, even though I know I can do another show or two!  I've never used a deck that is better on battery power consumption!
Normal: Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD 744T (or) Sony PCM-M10
Normal: Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD 744T
Fun times: 3 Crown CM-700's >> SD 302 >> SD744T + 2 Nakamichi CM-700's >> SD744T
Stealth: CA-14c >> CA 9200 >> Edirol R-09HR
Ultra stealth: AudioReality >> AudioReality battery box >> Edirol R-09HR
Simple & Sweet!

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
Did you change your battery type on the M10? There is a setting in the menu to tell it what kind of batteries you are using to get an accurate reading. My first set got 12-14 actual recording time and they still had a bar or 2 left.
Nominal voltage for NiMH is 1.2V compared to 1.5V for alkaline cells.  So a battery tester set for or intended for alkaline cells will indicate low voltage, and any built-in charge indicator in whatever device you use them in instead of alkaline cells needs to be set for NiMH in order for the metering to be correctly calibrated.  As lad2525 notes, you'll want to change the battery type setting in your recorder's setup menu.

Thank you very much guys! Didn't know that. I checked my M10 and yes, it was set for Alkaline instead of NiMH.  :coolguy:

One question though. Is it a bad idea to charge the batteries often? Will it reduce their life span?
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
You don't want to overcharge them, so just avoid charging them if they are already fully topped up.  Unless I've run them completely down, I just recharge them a day or so prior to use.

Supposedly maximum life is achieved when they are stored (long term) about half-charged at around 40F.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline TheMetalist

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Sverige/Sweden/Suède
You don't want to overcharge them, so just avoid charging them if they are already fully topped up.  Unless I've run them completely down, I just recharge them a day or so prior to use.

Supposedly maximum life is achieved when they are stored (long term) about half-charged at around 40F.

Ok. Thank you. I'll keep that in mind.  8)
"The music is your passport - Your magic key - To all the madness that awaits you." B.L. '86

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.075 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com