Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Using a Walmart LI-ion battery with a certain portable DVD Player?  (Read 2913 times)

Offline dueling

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
Random question but I figure someone on here may know..

I have a Wal-Mart Lion portable DVD battery (it says it's the 9v version on it) that I use for my UA-5.... I just bought a portable DVD player and was wondering if it was ok to use the same battery, with different cable, for that as well?  It does not list my model in the manaul, however, it does list my model on wal-mart.com when you go to purchase the 7v version.. I just happened to receive the 9v version when I ordered this thing.  I'm just trying to figure out if I need to buy a new portable DVD battery to fit this model, or can I use the one I already have?  I know some units, like the UA-5, will accept a range of voltages.  I thought they were pretty much universal when it came to the DVD batteries and about 90% of the portable DVD models out there.  I am not good enough with this stuff to look at the specs for each one and be able to tell if I'm going to fry the thing or not.  This is the model of DVD player...

http://www.polaroidelectronics.com/pages/products/dvdPlayersPortable/PDV_0700.asp

Is says it's 12v on the power socket, and the rechargable battery that came with it is listed at 7v... wondering if I use the correct type of cable, if I can use this wal-mart battery with this DVD player?  I did power it on fine, but turned it off quickly as to not do any damage.

Any help is appreciated.

Thanks
Schoeps MK4v's, MK41v's, MK22's, MK8 (1), MK21 (1)
DPA 4015's, 4022's

Portico 5012

Sound Devices MixPre 10 II

Nbob Actives > Naiant PFAs
MMP-ER Modular Active Rear Cable

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re: Using a Walmart LI-ion battery with a certain portable DVD Player?
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2005, 02:49:46 PM »
how would you "normally" power the dvd player?  Via a wall wart?  If so, what's its output voltage.

Does it come with a car adaptor? If so, does the car adaptor step down the car's voltage?

Trying to determine whether it is, in fact, already powered by 12 volt power sources.  If so, no harm using a 9 volt source as well (i.e. if it'll run off of 12 volts and off of 7 volts, you shouldn't harm it running it off 9 volts.  OTOH, if everything else is only supplying it with 7 volts, 9 volts could fry it)

Offline dueling

• Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2005, 05:41:30 PM »
how would you "normally" power the dvd player?  Via a wall wart?  If so, what's its output voltage.

the output on the wall wart is 12v. 

Does it come with a car adaptor? If so, does the car adaptor step down the car's voltage?

It does have a car adaptor, but it does not list the voltage, or anything else on it.  The rechargable battery that came with the DVD player lists at 7.4v.

Trying to determine whether it is, in fact, already powered by 12 volt power sources.  If so, no harm using a 9 volt source as well (i.e. if it'll run off of 12 volts and off of 7 volts, you shouldn't harm it running it off 9 volts.  OTOH, if everything else is only supplying it with 7 volts, 9 volts could fry it)

So from what you are saying, it sounds to me like the 9v Wal-Mart battery should be fine?  Thanks a lot for the response and the help!
DPA 4015's, 4022's

Portico 5012

Offline dnsacks

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2005, 05:58:46 PM »
no problem -- I'd confirm the wall wart's output with a voltmeter (ditto with the car adaptor) just to be sure.  Voltmeters are cheap and a great way to confirm polarity too :)

Offline dmonterisi

• Taper Emeritus
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Stomach Full of Regret
« Reply #4 on: March 01, 2005, 07:09:44 PM »
no problem -- I'd confirm the wall wart's output with a voltmeter (ditto with the car adaptor) just to be sure.  Voltmeters are cheap and a great way to confirm polarity too :)

while i agree this is a good idea, you obviously don't know graham  :P

Offline dueling

• Taperssection Member
  • TeamFocker
« Reply #5 on: March 01, 2005, 09:24:04 PM »

while i agree this is a good idea, you obviously don't know graham  :P

Just for that I'm going out and getting a voltmeter Damon!  Now what I'll be able to do with it is another story.

thanks for the help dnsacks
DPA 4015's, 4022's

Portico 5012

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 34 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com