Gear / Technical Help > Post-Processing, Computer / Streaming / Internet Devices & Related Activity

Plug-in/Software to remove ground loop hum?

(1/2) > >>

aaronji:
I recently recorded Blackberry Smoke in Amsterdam.  The recording turned out quite well, but there is a ground loop hum audible during some of the quieter parts of the second half of the show.  I was wondering if anybody could recommend a plug-in that would help reduce this?  I am using Audition 3, which is pretty long in the tooth, so I would also be amenable to a whole new software package, if needed.  I would prefer not to spend a ton of money, but it doesn't have to be free either.

Thanks for any recommendations!

if_then_else:
Izotope RX or Acon Acoustica?

noahbickart:
just use any eq with very narrow and deep cuts at 50hz or 60hz as appropriate (along with any relevant harmonics).

Some eq's even have a preset for it, like the new toneboosters v4

aaronji:

--- Quote from: if_then_else on November 13, 2018, 10:20:03 AM ---Izotope RX or Acon Acoustica?

--- End quote ---

iZotope was already on the list, of course, but I had never heard of Acoustica before!  It looks like a pretty nice package; I may spring for it.  Thanks for the recommendation.

--- Quote from: noahbickart on November 13, 2018, 08:21:22 PM ---just use any eq with very narrow and deep cuts at 50hz or 60hz as appropriate (along with any relevant harmonics).

Some eq's even have a preset for it, like the new toneboosters v4

--- End quote ---

I already tried to EQ it at 50 Hz (in Europe) with the harmonics, but it didn't work very well for me in my decade (plus) old Audition 3.0.  I also tried a de-noise effect.  That's actually what got me started down this path.  It would be nice to have this as a preset and I figure a lot of other things have also improved.  I will look into toneboosters.     

[Edit to add:]  I assume the screenshot is from toneboosters?

if_then_else:

--- Quote from: aaronji on November 14, 2018, 10:57:49 AM ---
--- Quote from: if_then_else on November 13, 2018, 10:20:03 AM ---Izotope RX or Acon Acoustica?

--- End quote ---

iZotope was already on the list, of course, but I had never heard of Acoustica before!  It looks like a pretty nice package; I may spring for it.  Thanks for the recommendation.

--- End quote ---

Acon are actually well regarded for their VST plugins. If memory serves, their "Restoration Suite" (VST plugins without the DAW / spectral editor) is also available separately.

I use Izotope RX6. If you're able to upload just one track which suffers from the ground hum problem I could give it a try to see what you could expect from RX in the best case.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version