Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Compressing loud applause in Audacity advice?  (Read 9950 times)

Offline yltfan

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Needs to get out more...
Compressing loud applause in Audacity advice?
« on: February 23, 2010, 04:31:21 PM »
I have read several different threads about this, tried a few things, but I'm not happy with the results. I recorded a quiet acoustic show--the music peaks at -32db, and the applause goes up over -22.

Using the compressor in Audacity, I tried a few settings, ended up here:
threshold: -32
noise threshold: -40
ratio: 6.5:1
attack time .2
decay time 1.0
make-up gain for 0db after compressing – yes
compress based on peaks – no

It generally seems to work, but the compressed applause sections sound pretty funky, lots of "pumping". I can live with that, but thought I'd throw this out here first.

Should I go with different settings? A different route entirely? I only have Audacity on the machine I'm working with, but might be able to use soundforge or CEP. Thanks for any advice!

Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
Re: Compressing loud applause in Audacity advice?
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2010, 04:59:04 PM »
I've used Audacities "Hard Limiter" with a larger residue (like 0.4 or so to soften it) where I had to chop just peaks of applause or other sudden pops. I wouldn't use it in place of a compressor for music, but it does the job for small loud sections.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2010, 07:57:32 PM »

I'd ditch the automation altogether......you can do a much better job yourself by using the envelope tool to drag down loud audience events.  Drag them down below the music, and give yourself some headroom, too.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline fmaderjr

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #3 on: February 24, 2010, 05:29:14 AM »
I agree with page. I use Audition's hard limiter for peaks of applause and it sound completely natural to me. At least with Audition I don't see why I'd want to go to the trouble of lowering each peak of applause individually and I imagine I'd probably feel the same if I used Audacity.
AT853's (all caps)/CM-300 Franken Naks (CP-1,2,3)/JBMod Nak 700's (CP-701,702) > Tascam DR-680
Or Sonic Studios DSM-6 > M10

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #4 on: February 24, 2010, 09:21:08 AM »
I agree with page. I use Audition's hard limiter for peaks of applause and it sound completely natural to me. At least with Audition I don't see why I'd want to go to the trouble of lowering each peak of applause individually and I imagine I'd probably feel the same if I used Audacity.

The cute part about Audacity's (and I'm working from memory and hope it's not an AU filter I'm thinking of) is that the Hard Limit function has a softener so if your peak is at -2, you can run the limiter at -6 with a residue of maybe half or a little under and your peaks won't be shaved off at -6, but will sort of float around -4 and at least look somewhat natural (and I found it sounds better on stuff that has some sustain to it).
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #5 on: February 24, 2010, 09:24:35 AM »
I'd ditch the automation altogether......you can do a much better job yourself by using the envelope tool to drag down loud audience events.

I'm with 'hook on this.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

runonce

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #6 on: February 24, 2010, 09:46:14 AM »
I'd ditch the automation altogether......you can do a much better job yourself by using the envelope tool to drag down loud audience events.

I'm with 'hook on this.

Agree as well. Limting is good for fixing stuff where you can hear spikey, specific claps...but for those big full-room swells (like recording quiet music in a nice hall) - you are best just reducing the volume and using the envelope to soften the abrupt reduction.

Offline yltfan

« Reply #7 on: February 24, 2010, 02:17:10 PM »
I'm loving the nice, healthy debate here. So far, I have not been able to get the compression to sound good. The envelope sounds better, but is soo much more work (insert whiney tone). I'll try the limiter next.

Thanks for all the input!
Mics: AT4051, AT4053, KM140, AKG C414, Beyerdynamic MEM86 guns, Nak cm300, AT853 4.7mod
Pre: V3, CA-9100
Recorders: Busman DR-680, iRivers, minidisc, jb3, and DAT

Dime torrents: http://www.dimeadozen.org/account-details.php?id=88009

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: February 24, 2010, 03:31:45 PM »

Well then, try combining the two.....compression to knock down the tips, then envelope to bring it all down together.......see if that works.

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

ilduclo

« Reply #9 on: February 24, 2010, 03:52:08 PM »
you must be working with a show with lots of short quiet songs. I just did a classical type thing with at least 15 minutes between loud applause segments, it was easy with the envelope. ymmv :P

Offline travelinbeat

• Turning soundwaves into zeros and ones since 1999
    • http://db.etree.org/travelinbeat
« Reply #10 on: February 24, 2010, 07:52:38 PM »

Well then, try combining the two.....compression to knock down the tips, then envelope to bring it all down together.......see if that works.

That's what I do.  1st off I'll run a De-Clicker or something like that to remove most of the loud, close-by claps.  Any stragglers I'll then address by hand, with a "V" shaped fade to really choke them down to a reasonable level.  Once those two steps are done, I'll take that same Fade tool (I don't really like how Envelope works in Soundforge), and craft a custom fade (lower volume, then slowly climb it back up to 100%) for each applause that sounds as natural as possible. 

I've used this technique for several shows with increasing success.
Mics: Busman BSC1's K1/K2/K3/K4, CA-14's
Units: 2x Edirol R-09HR, iRiver H120 (RockBox + 2200mAh + CF mod)
Power & Accessories: Naiant Littlebox 1.5, Church ST-9100, Denecke PS-2, 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD2/8GB), 2x Kingston SDHC (Model: SD4/16GB), Kingston 32GB (Model: SD4/32GB), Darktrain XLR, 2x Shure A81WS's, 4x Powerex 9.6v, 12x Sanyo 2700 NiMH, 2x AT8410A's

Team DC · Team Naiant · Team Busman · Team Church Audio · NFL Team is NY Jets

I tape in earnest dedication to the mission of breaking the back of the CTOA

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #11 on: February 24, 2010, 11:59:21 PM »

see, we can be friends.  ;D

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #12 on: February 25, 2010, 02:41:36 AM »

see, we can be friends.  ;D

Viva Audacity!    ;D

Offline Shadow_7

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #13 on: February 25, 2010, 09:57:29 AM »
Hard limiter.  I'd rather there be some sort of soft limiter (everything louder than X dB compress to a 3dB range) and there probably is, but I don't know where that feature is yet.  I tried to do this same thing with compression and it always seemed to have to opposite effect for some reason.  And none of those results sounded good.  I used to just amp with clipping to cut it off, but that's no grammy winner either.  But still useful if your mic'd result is pure wind noise.  So hard limiter, it comes in handy if you do a low end bump and the percussive sounds get a little too unruly.  I generally can't just select the applause and downsize.  There's always someone clapping early, or some MC blabbing on the PA during the last few seconds of music.

Offline Walstib62

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (32)
« Reply #14 on: February 25, 2010, 10:40:36 AM »
I must say I'm with the Capn also on this one. Envelope is quick, easy, provides a smooth transition. What more could you want?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com