Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Joining WAV files together  (Read 12369 times)

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • All your llamas are belong to us....
Re: Joining WAV files together
« Reply #15 on: April 26, 2011, 12:18:21 AM »
Freeware ... search for a software named WAV Joiner

True, dat......
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Shadow_7

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #16 on: April 26, 2011, 03:50:34 PM »
I use sox.

I've seen a handful of your posts about using sox.  I gather it offers a command line UI only.  (Though it wouldn't surprise me if there are graphic UI front ends available.)  I'm curious:  how do you handle situations (upon which I come across regularly, some more than others) in which you want to apply time- or selection-specific edits?  For example, tracking of a continuous performance or of select portions of a performance, volume envelopes, selective compression / limiting, crossfades, noise reduction based on a selection of noise, etc?

I do most of my edits beyond resampling, concatenation, and stuff in audacity.  Hard limiting and other things.  I've even gotten around to writing a few nyquist routines for audacity.  Or at least modding existing ones.  I like libsndfile's resampling routine better than sox's routine.  Sox is mainly to get the speed effect going to sync my FH1 and Korg MR-1000.  Otherwise outside of some file format conversions I try to avoid sox, as it has flaws.  And most of my edits to extract specific segments of audio I do in audacity.  But there's some oddity's like porting speex's AGC routines to sox, that keeps sox in play on a lot of things.  And libsndfile doesn't seem to have a  speed option yet.  At least not on the command line.  There are gui front ends to sox, but I normally find those limited and/or out of sync with the latest version of sox.

Otherwise most things filter, limiter, compressor, gain, and otherwise I do in audacity.  Although sox does have a neat trick for segmenting out a DAO CD at regular intervals.

$ sox LargeAudioFile.wav track_.cdr trim 00:00:00 00:02:00 : newfile : restart

Assuming that LargeAudioFile is 16 bit and 44.1kHz, otherwise you have to explicitly tell sox the input and output parameters.  I output CDRs because that's what the CD burning software converts it to anyway, and if you're doing multiple copies, you save a little bit of time on the repeat.  Less so as computers get faster and faster.  In either case, less cpu usage equals less heat equals lower power bill(air conditioning).  Not by much, but every little bit helps.

Offline JasonSobel

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • My show list
« Reply #17 on: April 26, 2011, 07:57:11 PM »
I use sox.

I've seen a handful of your posts about using sox.  I gather it offers a command line UI only.  (Though it wouldn't surprise me if there are graphic UI front ends available.)  I'm curious:  how do you handle situations (upon which I come across regularly, some more than others) in which you want to apply time- or selection-specific edits?  For example, tracking of a continuous performance or of select portions of a performance, volume envelopes, selective compression / limiting, crossfades, noise reduction based on a selection of noise, etc?

Brian,

In addition to what Shadow_7 discusses in his post above, I like SoX for a few other things. While it's not great for volume envelopes and other things you mention where you want to do different editing on different portions of the audio, it is great for when you need to do the same process across the same files (or, to relate back to the original thread topic, to combine multiple files and then apply specific commands all in one step.

I like SoX's resampling algorithm, I think it's among the best I've heard.  It also has some commands to match the levels of the left/right channels.  You can tell it to match the volume of the peaks of the left/right channels, or my preference, have it automatically match the average RMS level of the two channels.  This is particularly nice for me, because my mics aren't matched, and my left/right channels are typically off by a few dB.  And lastly, it also does de-emphasis, which is nice when dealing with DAT transfers that were originally recorded with pre-emphasis.  The details of the SoX commands that I frequently use are here:
http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=138652.0

but everything else, I use Samplitude.

- Jason

Offline doodee

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #18 on: April 26, 2011, 10:15:47 PM »
Another vote fo good ol' Audacity. Never had any issues.
An instrument that converts sound waves into an electric current >
an electronic amplifier which precedes another amplifier to prepare an electronic signal for further amplification or processing >
a device to capture an analog or digital source and store the encoded data in a digital format.

Offline mhlsr

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #19 on: May 07, 2011, 10:10:45 AM »
http://www.exactaudiocopy.de/
I use Exact Audio Copy
1- Tools-Process WAV
2- File - Append File
3- File- Save As

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 30 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com