Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Is it possible to reverse a fade out with Audacity?  (Read 14342 times)

Offline Chad

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • Trade Lists
Is it possible to reverse a fade out with Audacity?
« on: June 05, 2012, 05:25:14 AM »
I just ripped a show from CDR and would like to undo the fade out that was applied at the end of disc 2 so it flows into the next track seamlessly as possible. See screen cap below. Is there a way to do this? I currently have Audacity installed.

« Last Edit: June 05, 2012, 05:26:54 AM by Chad »

ilduclo

Re: Is it possible to reverse a fade out with Audacity?
« Reply #1 on: June 05, 2012, 10:04:23 AM »
you can do this in Soundforge by using the envelope amplify, get the values at the trough and the peaks on either side and envelope it up in the center. Audacity, not real sure

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: June 05, 2012, 10:05:51 AM »
you can do this in Soundforge by using the envelope amplify, get the values at the trough and the peaks on either side and envelope it up in the center. Audacity, not real sure

Same in Audacity.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Chad

• Taperssection Regular
    • Trade Lists
« Reply #3 on: June 05, 2012, 11:00:40 AM »
Thanks for the replies. I've been trying to figure out, but no luck. What does the trough mean? Is there a tutorial somewhere on how to do what you are saying?

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
« Reply #4 on: June 05, 2012, 11:05:43 AM »
Play around with the volume envelope tool in Audacity....it will become second nature to you in no time.
Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #5 on: June 05, 2012, 12:45:16 PM »
The Audacity volume envelope works just like the one I mention here:

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=99036.msg1319812#msg1319812

After engaging the volume envelope, you should have a horizontal line (yellow, in Audacity?) that represents the baseline volume, i.e. the current state volume.  Add two points on the line for your start / end points.  Then, in between, add points above or below the line to increase or decrease the volume.  The number and placement of points defines the volume envelope -- slope, or curved, or jagged, or what have you.  In your case, it looks like a linear fade out, so you'd have three points:  one at the starting point, one at the end point of the track, and a third above the endpoint defining how much gain to add in a linear increase.  It would look something like this:

Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

ilduclo

« Reply #6 on: June 05, 2012, 07:43:45 PM »
yeah, mess around with the envelope tool, it should work. what I'd do would be to copy the area you want to fix, try a bunch until you get it right, then use the same settings on the orig file. should save processing time on the screw around attempts as you get it right. ;D

Offline ScoobieKW

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • ScoobieSnax Audio Archive
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2012, 08:21:01 PM »
The envelope drawing above is spot on. Three thoughts.

• Might be easier in Reaper or some program with real-time preview.
  • A tiny crossfade might cover any unevenness at the split point.
  • is it a passage that's repeated? I've heard/not noticed patches from an earlier measure.

Reaper has a free trial.
Busman BSC1, AT853 (O,C),KAM i2 Chuck Mod (C), Nak 300 (C),
M10, UA-5, US-1800, Presonus Firepod

http://kennedy-williams.net/scoobiesnax/

Offline trustthex

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Trainwreckin' Fool
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2012, 04:16:27 PM »
My thoughts on restoring a fade-out is that you will reach a point where there isn't enough signal to restore...

That was a few years ago, and probably I just didn't know what I was doing with EQ in post, but I came to the conclusion that if the curve is down a lot, like 20db, trying to boost that back approaches simple math... 0 x 1000 = 0.

Good luck, hopefully the tape's out there somewhere?
Current Foolishness-
AT853c > 3-wire BB > LS10
AT853c > Tinybox > R-09

Other gear in my bag-
SP-CMC-1 (AT 829), ECM-717, Sharp MD-MS702
2x Teac ME-50 (C), AT ATR6250, SP-SPSB-2

Team TEXAS, Naiant, Jazz, Vinyl, moe.

-------
If you have any Brave Combo that needs transferred/uploaded, etc... PM me.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.087 seconds with 37 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com