Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: optimizing wavelab for 24 bit  (Read 16881 times)

rabhan

• Trade Count: (0)
Re:optimizing wavelab for 24 bit
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2003, 05:09:53 PM »
i said fuck it and stopped it. i shouldnt have to wait a friggin hour to resample in CEP when WL only takes 5mins. thats just bunk! i quess i will install SF6 and try that. it that also fails, i might just use 16bit temp files to resample with WL bc it will be dithered to 16 anyhow.

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2003, 05:44:57 PM »
WL4.0g, it opened the file in 3secs and only took like 5mins to resample the data. wtf is the deal with CEP?

Wavelab opened in 3 seconds because it already had the peak file made from when you recorded it.  CEP had to make its own (the peak file is a sampling of the whole thing that gives you the wave form you see).

You can follow Brian's recommendation to skip the undo - if you fuck up, just don't save it.

I wouldn't be put off by the speed though - resampling can involve heavy calculations and things that are fast generally aren't doing as precise a job.  I'd also shy away from setting the temp files to 16 bit - you put all that effort into getting a hi res recording, why trash it at the end to save a half hour or so...
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline BC

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Bongo Bongo
re: Wavelab and resampling
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2003, 06:52:41 PM »
I noticed the same thing, Wavelab would rip through the resampling really quick. When using sound forge, resampling at the highest quality setting (and anti-aliasing filter enabled ) it takes a LOT longer.

Because of this I use Soundforge for my resampling. Like the previous poster said, resampling is a process that involves some heavy-duty number crunching. For a given quality of resampling I don't think there are any shortcuts to reduce the time it takes, other than more processing power (=faster computer). Thus I think that wavelab must be using an algorithm with much less resolution, and I'd prefer to get the most out of my recording when doing the 48>44.1 conversion. I usually will open all the files I need to resample and start crunching them when I go to bed, that way they are all done when I wake up. in the morning.  Dither down to 16 bit, save the 16/44.1 files, track em' in CDWAV, save the CUE sheets, and extract the individual tracks for the high res and low(er) resolution WAV files...

Peace out-
Ben

In: DPA4022>V3>Microtracker/D8

Out: Morrison ELAD>Adcom GFA555mkII>Martin Logan Aerius i

rabhan

« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2003, 08:04:24 PM »
ok, ok, ok i will do it that way......  :banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head::banging head:

rabhan

« Reply #49 on: October 09, 2003, 08:49:11 PM »
for some reason CEP thinks that the file is a 32bit file, why is that?

rabhan

« Reply #50 on: October 09, 2003, 08:57:13 PM »
well, it doesnt matter i dont imagine, i just opened the 24/44 file that CEP created with WL and it says that it really is 24/44 and not 32. so now i am dithering it.

rabhan

« Reply #51 on: October 09, 2003, 08:58:37 PM »
when i dither, should the priority boost be on "fast"

Offline RRobar

• Mac Design Geek
  • "It's allgood ....brah!"
    • Headway Graphixx
« Reply #52 on: October 09, 2003, 09:00:15 PM »
I have a real hard time believing SF or CE have a better algorthym than wavelab. I'd go with Cool edit pro for downsampling over SF any day. My experience shows SF to have a undesirable resampling. Thats just my opinion.

I think CEP does not have a straight 24bit setting I only remember the 32bit float. It's been awhile though.
Need Graphic Design Work? Goto http://www.headwaygraphixx.com

rabhan

« Reply #53 on: October 09, 2003, 09:01:14 PM »
ok cool.....

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #54 on: October 10, 2003, 12:03:32 AM »
anybody else getting tired of the conversion process?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline Kindguy

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (11)
« Reply #55 on: October 10, 2003, 12:33:01 AM »
my head hurts.....I'm going back to Dat ;)
TDS!

DPA 4023> aeta PSP-2> Apogee Mini Me > R-44

http://www.basicallyfrightened.com/

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #56 on: October 10, 2003, 01:45:54 AM »
CEP will open 24 bit files into a 32 bit float format and work on them that way.  If you save back to 24 bit format, CEP will either truncate or dither to 24 bit (depending on what you have selected in the options button, visible when you go to save the file).  This will be the default.

So if you don't want to dither twice (and you don't), when you go to save the CEP file, click options and save in 32 bit float (you'll see the dither box greyed out).  Then dither that file in Wavelab.  You can save a 24 bit copy and a 16 bit copy for burning if yo want.
KM 184 > V2 > R4
older recording gear: UA-5  / emagic A62 / laptop / JB3 / CSB / AD20 / Sharp MT-90 / Sony MDS-JE510
Playback: Pioneer DV-578 > Lucid DA 9624 >many funny little british boxes > Linn Isobarik PMS

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #57 on: October 11, 2003, 05:12:50 PM »
if i can record with wavlab and dither with it also, should i use CEP or SF for resampling?

ive been all over samp6.0 for resampling and wavelab for everything else....maybe even samp6.0 for normalizing ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

rabhan

« Reply #58 on: October 13, 2003, 02:16:36 PM »
can i use 24bit temp files in WL or should i use the 32bit float? does it matter for recording 24bit?

also when i convert the sample rate in CEP, the number at the bottom says 150, which is the default, should i move that slider bar and select another number?

Offline dklein

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: October 13, 2003, 10:15:18 PM »
can i use 24bit temp files in WL or should i use the 32bit float? does it matter for recording 24bit?

also when i convert the sample rate in CEP, the number at the bottom says 150, which is the default, should i move that slider bar and select another number?
I think the temp files are only for processing - no bearing on recording.  So it would come into play for changing sample rates or doing eq but not for recording.  

On the slider for converting, I'd crank it to maximum quality...the only cost is time
KM 184 > V2 > R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.073 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com