Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Serious Problems w/ the Tascam DR-680 (and their customer service)  (Read 41645 times)

Offline axomxa

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • If it ain't live, it ain't Dead
Re: Problems w/ 680 & USBpre2 - UPDATE
« Reply #15 on: May 11, 2011, 05:10:25 PM »
....and it's official. Deck is totally dead. Barely turns on (hold down PWR for 2+ min), all inputs dead.

Not very impressed with Tascam at all. Deck has been used less than 10 times.

Boy, the more I read the more I'm glad I bought the B & H 5 yr plan. . . Will run my first mutlichannel project Friday night and already apprehensive about it. .  .

If I were you, I'd test it at home 1st by the horror stories I'm hearing already :P

run your D50 for a 2 channel backup
Thanks Darby, already planned to run the d50 optical/tandem from the v3. . . really looking forward to this upgrade for the fest season so hopefully I'm a lucky one;-)
Mics: MBHO 603 (KA200N, matched pair) / AKG C460B (ck63, a60/ck1, NBob/PFA actives) / Senn MS14P (MKE 4012 supercards & 4010 cards) / AKG SE300B (ck91 & ck92)
Mic Cables: 15' 3 channel GAKable / 15' custom Star Quad / 12' Mogami
Pres/ADC:  Grace V3 / Denecke PS2 > Denecke AD20
Recorders: Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod) / Tascam D70 / Sony PCM-D50

Photography rig:
Canon 60D, EF 70-300mm f/4-5.6 IS USM

LMA tapes:   https://archive.org/search.php?query=crupi%20AND%20collection%3Aetree&sort=-publicdate
Etree tapes:  http://bt.etree.org/?searchsss=axomxa&cat=0

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Re: Bitching about/problems w/ 680 & USBpre2
« Reply #16 on: May 11, 2011, 05:27:41 PM »
Sorry to hear about the troubles going around.
I'm going to double check the input level match across all six channels of of mine this weekend with a signal generator.

I also couldn't get it to digital lock with the digital out on an R-44, but I am now told that when connecting the digi-out of another deck, you may have to connect the digi-out of the 680 to the digi-in of the deck you are taking the out from, which kind of makes no sense to me, but....

Just to clairify, there is no need for the reverse cable connection.  I've clock locked the DR-680 to the digital out of the R-44 multiple times to get 10 tracks. 
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline hi and lo

• Trade Count: (38)
« Reply #17 on: May 11, 2011, 06:36:03 PM »
....and it's official. Deck is totally dead. Barely turns on (hold down PWR for 2+ min), all inputs dead.

Thats awful. Hope its a quick fix :( You should just resell once it gets fixed and buy another R44

We need 8 channels on one deck :(

There's already 3 R44's we can use, but apparently connecting them only syncs the transports, not the word clocks.

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #18 on: May 11, 2011, 08:26:13 PM »

Thats awful. Hope its a quick fix :( You should just resell once it gets fixed and buy another R44

We need 8 channels on one deck :(

There's already 3 R44's we can use, but apparently connecting them only syncs the transports, not the word clocks.

If you've got 3 it's doable;

1st R44 = 4ch, spdif out ->
2nd R44 = 2spdif in (dupe), 2ch new, spdif out ->
3rd R44 = 2spdif in (dupe), 2ch new.

You get 8 channels of content and 4 channels of mush (or redundancy depending on how you configure the outbound spdif signal). Hell of a way to do it, but in a pinch, if you've got 3 machines you trust and just need 8 channels or less, that would do it.

edit: actually, the usbpre2 works to your advantage in this case because when it accepts a SPDIF signal, it only uses the wordclock portion IIRC, so you can interject it between two of the units and get another 2 channels:

1st R44 = 4ch spdif out ->
usbpre2 (accepting spdif), 2ch mic/line, spdif out ->
2nd R44 = 2spdif in (new from usbpre2), 2ch new, spdif out ->
3rd R44 = 2spdif in (dupes), 2ch new.

10 channels on 3 machines, and if you use a tekkeon or other battery that can do 2 voltages (including USB spec power) then you don't need any additional batteries.

edit2:
and with the usbpre2 and 2 R44s, you can do 8ch using the same theory as above (just realized that). Sound Devices doesn't suggest doing WC functions for more then either 3 or 4 hops, but you should be safe with at least 8ch. I'd want to test it with 10 but I think it has potential since you're passing a spdif signal and not necessarily a true WC signal, maybe, maybe not.
« Last Edit: May 11, 2011, 08:33:00 PM by page »
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #19 on: May 11, 2011, 10:51:45 PM »
 :o

+t!

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #20 on: May 11, 2011, 10:54:02 PM »
One good thing with all these tascam malfunctions is that if gives other manufactures ways to prepare for an eight inputs recorder. I think tascam pushed the envelope and did a great job putting an eight input recorder in the hands of tapers and semi-professionals/part time pros, etc since 4 channel recorders seemed to be getting outgrown. Maybe edirol thinks eight inputs isn't something likely their consumers would purchase so perhaps they will create a six input record with nearly the same features and functions of the DR680 (M/S, wordclock, AES, etc) around the same price but with fewer buttons ;). One feature that I like of the DR680 (i believe it has this) is the ability to pan a channel and not just L/C/R.

Those who own SD 7xx recorders, is it possible for the recorder to playback a pre-recorded track as it is recording? That may not be important for tapers but if you are a startup band or recording engineer, it would be very practical.
Or even if you're the next Mark Johnson of Playingforchange.org so you don't need to lug around a laptop and firewire pre-amps.

future 6+ input manufactures like edirol & marantz should make a mini Cantar.
http://www.aaton.com/products/sound/cantar/specs.php
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline hi and lo

« Reply #21 on: May 11, 2011, 11:07:46 PM »
Wow page.. that's more I think about it that's really amazing. I originally said we needed 8 channels, but in reality it's probably 6 with 8 being a luxury. By just using two R44's and the USBPre2, I don't see why it's not possible get 6 channels synced channels across two R44's. I guess asking for 8 or 10 would be greedy. :)

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #22 on: May 12, 2011, 12:01:04 AM »
Wow page.. that's more I think about it that's really amazing. I originally said we needed 8 channels, but in reality it's probably 6 with 8 being a luxury. By just using two R44's and the USBPre2, I don't see why it's not possible get 6 channels synced channels across two R44's. I guess asking for 8 or 10 would be greedy. :)

2 R-44s and a usbpre2 get you 8 distinct & synced channels (R44-A spdif out > usbpre2 > R44-B), it's only when you add the 3rd R-44 that you have to eat 2 channels to keep them in sync. It's very possible/easy to get just 6 channels on the 2 R-44s alone, just send the SPDIF from one to the other and you eat 2 of the channels while leaving the other two available (so 4 on A and 2 new ones on B). The trick for 8 is to have the usbpre2 pull the spdif signal, but send along the mic-in signal so you don't have the sacrifice the two channels, thus getting 8 on just 2 units and a pre2. Its very doable, I actually bought mine for that very reason so I could sync a pre2/d50 setup to my 722 for 4ch recording.

The best part is, you can then use that lame link function edirol has to start/stop all the units simultaneously.  ;D

10 is where it gets tricky because of the number of spdif generations. I'd want to test it a bunch of times for long running to see if the spdif signal holds up and stays in sync on the last unit compared to the first. It should, but SD has warned not to exceed 3 clink generations on their 7 series, and to avoid the same on WC as well, so they devised a method for the NFL to link like 8 744s together for a documentary once. I once figured out how to sync something absurd like 10 722s for a whopping 20 channels without exceeding 4 generations of WC passing (using C-link, WC, and SPDIF w/ manual override).  :P

Food for thought, best of luck.

Those who own SD 7xx recorders, is it possible for the recorder to playback a pre-recorded track as it is recording? That may not be important for tapers but if you are a startup band or recording engineer, it would be very practical.

negatory. I even remember someone asking SD about that a year or two ago and they confirmed it. It's because the minute you hit record, the box drops whatever it's doing (except formatting or powering off IIRC, that's part of why there are the "ready" LEDs for media) and starts recording, even while in menus or doing whatever whatever.

For that you'd do better with something like the sonosax sx-m32 which has a loop/return feed function.
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

Offline notlance

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #23 on: May 12, 2011, 08:52:02 AM »

As page said: nope, the 7xx boxes won't play back and record at the same time.  When I have needed to overdub when location recording using the 7xx, I use two 7xx recorders: one to play back and one to record.  Sometimes I will lock the clocks between the two recorders, but just as often I'll let them run free.  The drift between two free running 7xx recorders is so slight that it has never been a problem.  Either locked or not, you still have to align the tracks in a DAW which is easy.  If I remember to do it, I will record some sync clicks at the beginning of the basic tracks so I can record them on the overdub.

I don't think the 7xx recorders will ever be able to record and playback at the same time.  I doubt the HW will support it, and SD has not shown any interest in offering that feature.  Overdubbing is not important to their primary users, who are ENG, File/Video production and scientific/nature recording.

Well, that's enough OT for now.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #24 on: May 12, 2011, 09:50:42 AM »
2 R-44s and a usbpre2 get you 8 distinct & synced channels (R44-A spdif out > usbpre2 > R44-B), it's only when you add the 3rd R-44 that you have to eat 2 channels to keep them in sync. It's very possible/easy to get just 6 channels on the 2 R-44s alone, just send the SPDIF from one to the other and you eat 2 of the channels while leaving the other two available (so 4 on A and 2 new ones on B). The trick for 8 is to have the usbpre2 pull the spdif signal, but send along the mic-in signal so you don't have the sacrifice the two channels, thus getting 8 on just 2 units and a pre2. Its very doable, I actually bought mine for that very reason so I could sync a pre2/d50 setup to my 722 for 4ch recording.

The best part is, you can then use that lame link function edirol has to start/stop all the units simultaneously.  ;D

Page beat me to it: 6 clock-synced channels (+2 redundant) with two R-44, or 8 and no redundancy with the usbpre2 intercepting the digital stream.  You'll still need to align the startpoints of the tracks from the different machines, but they won't drift.

I'll add only that without the usbpre2, the choice of which channels or channel combinations are output digitally from the 1st recorder to be duplicated on the second is determined by pushing the headphone level knob and making the appropriate monitoring selection.

With two usbpre2s between three R44s you could get 12 channels, assuming the multiple WC generations issue isn't a problem.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
« Reply #25 on: May 12, 2011, 12:13:49 PM »
One good thing with all these tascam malfunctions is that if gives other manufactures ways to prepare for an eight inputs recorder. I think tascam pushed the envelope and did a great job putting an eight input recorder in the hands of tapers and semi-professionals/part time pros, etc since 4 channel recorders seemed to be getting outgrown. Maybe edirol thinks eight inputs isn't something likely their consumers would purchase so perhaps they will create a six input record with nearly the same features and functions of the DR680 (M/S, wordclock, AES, etc) around the same price but with fewer buttons ;). One feature that I like of the DR680 (i believe it has this) is the ability to pan a channel and not just L/C/R.

What makes me angry is that I and other members here (and undoubtedly countless others) were used for market research by Tascam.  They should never have shipped these with the number of problems they have.  I always believed their DAT decks were solid and bought based on that reputation, but IMO that goodwill is clearly long gone.  I called an authorized service rep today, and even if the actual motherboard is fried they said they won't replace the unit, just slap in a new motherboard.  This BTW was the same response I got by email direct from Tascam.  In my view this is also totally unacceptable - whether that fixes it or not - as the only correct response to total failure on a new unit should be immediate, prompt replacement.  The manufacturer, not I, should bear the wait time and they should bear responsibility for reselling the thing as a refurb, which is now what my brand-new unit will be, assuming it even works once they are done with it. 

People on this board have a bad habit of throwing around recommendations for products that they know little about based on anecdotal evidence and  reputation - and I've been guilty of it too.  But I will certainly never advise anyone to purchase anything from Tascam again. 
Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline page

• #TeamRetired
« Reply #26 on: May 12, 2011, 12:21:20 PM »
What makes me angry is that I and other members here (and undoubtedly countless others) were used for market research by Tascam.  They should never have shipped these with the number of problems they have. <snip>

I've heard them referred to as Trashcam for a bit now. It's a polarized view. I think you either really like them, or you don't at all, I don't know anyone who's used their products who fit into a middle ground.

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #27 on: May 12, 2011, 12:28:55 PM »

What makes me angry is that I and other members here (and undoubtedly countless others) were used for market research by Tascam.  They should never have shipped these with the number of problems they have.  I always believed their DAT decks were solid and bought based on that reputation, but IMO that goodwill is clearly long gone.  I called an authorized service rep today, and even if the actual motherboard is fried they said they won't replace the unit, just slap in a new motherboard.  This BTW was the same response I got by email direct from Tascam.  In my view this is also totally unacceptable - whether that fixes it or not - as the only correct response to total failure on a new unit should be immediate, prompt replacement.  The manufacturer, not I, should bear the wait time and they should bear responsibility for reselling the thing as a refurb, which is now what my brand-new unit will be, assuming it even works once they are done with it. 

People on this board have a bad habit of throwing around recommendations for products that they know little about based on anecdotal evidence and  reputation - and I've been guilty of it too.  But I will certainly never advise anyone to purchase anything from Tascam again.

When my DR-680 died they told me they were going to replace the motherboard. But, instead, I got a brand new unit... YMMV
I *believe* they did the same for darby.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline acidjack

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (37)
Re: Serious Problems w/ the Tascam DR-680 (and their customer service)
« Reply #28 on: May 12, 2011, 12:34:52 PM »
^^^ Chuck and Darby, did you send your units back to Tascam, or use a local authorized servicer? 

Mics: Schoeps MK4V, MK41V, MK5, MK22> CMC6, KCY 250/5, KC5, NBob; MBHO MBP603/KA200N, AT 3031, DPA 4061 w/ d:vice, Naiant X-X, AT 853c, shotgun, Nak300
Pres/Power: Aerco MP2, tinybox v2  [KCY], CA-UBB
Decks: Sound Devices MixPre 6, Zoom F8, M10, D50

My recordings on nyctaper.com: http://www.nyctaper.com/?tag=acidjack | LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/acidjack | twitter: http://www.twitter.com/acidjacknyc | Soundcloud: https://soundcloud.com/acidjacknyc

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
Re: Serious Problems w/ the Tascam DR-680 (and their customer service)
« Reply #29 on: May 12, 2011, 12:46:07 PM »
^^^ Chuck and Darby, did you send your units back to Tascam, or use a local authorized servicer?

I contacted my retailer. The retailer said to send it into TEAC/Tascam.
My parts warranty had expired. But, the labor was still covered.
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.09 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com