Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Getting Back In The Game! Couple Quick Questions...  (Read 10170 times)

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
Getting Back In The Game! Couple Quick Questions...
« on: July 12, 2016, 10:48:23 AM »
Tapers! It is good to be back in your midst!!  :D

My dad recorded the Dead for years (167 shows with Jerry) and countless other recordings. I grew up with a taper-dad. And I have dabbled in carrying on the torch!

Last time I was active was about 7 years ago (or so). I still have my mini-rig from that time which is a set of chopped Nak-300s and an Edirol R-09 (I had some small phantom power box too).

Fast forward to the Folsom Dead & Company shows a couple weekends ago.......my dad, my older brother, and my dad's lifelong deadhead buddy and I all went to the shows, got All-Access passes (long story), and basically had our faces stolen away early on in the first night.

So everyone, new generation and old, is now reignited on our quest to soak up as much of the sound as we can. We have been catching streams and recording those and now my dad is wanting to get a dedicated taping rig going again.

Like I say, I have been out of it for several years so I am not sure what the "in-thing" is right now. We want to have two rigs, a smaller stealthy rig and a higher quality open taping rig. Want to start ground up with new tech (or old tech if that is what I need to find) and we are going to need mics, deck, and all the fixin's. Price is negotiable.

If anyone knows of a similar thread (I did search a bit) or if you have any recommendations.....I am all ears and greatly appreciative!

Can't believe how great John Mayer is doing.....total disbelief.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 11:34:48 AM by Mr.Fantasy »
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Mics: Modified Nak 300's, Line Audio CM4
P48/Pres: PS2
Decks: Edirol R-09

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: Getting Back In The Game! Couple Quick Questions...
« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2016, 12:05:32 PM »
What kind of budget??  You could grab Carl's MBHO actives with cards and Hypers.  These would work for open taping or undercover. 

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=177751.0

You could run them right into a P48 deck like these!  Depending on your budget

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1086798-REG/tascam_dr_70d_4_channel_audio_recording.html

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1140426-REG/zoom_zf8_f8_field_recorder.html

« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 12:22:02 PM by jbell »
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2016, 12:18:30 PM »
I would say the ballpark budget for the open rig is going to be $3,000 (this would be used more often). The budget for the stealth rig would be more like $1,000 ballpark and is less important right now. I want to get the open rig done first.

But those could go higher depending on what sort of ideas are discussed. If we are going to invest the time to make a good capture, then we need to invest the money to make sure the capture is worth it. That said, we aren't out to spend a few grand automatically. If there are options that can be found for less, then I will explore them.

Dad and I both know that quality doesn't easily come for cheap.
"I read somewhere that 77 percent of all the mentally ill live in poverty. Actually, I'm more intrigued by the 23 percent who are apparently doing quite well for themselves" ---Jerry Garcia

Offline rocksuitcase

• Trade Count: (4)
    • RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2016, 02:03:55 PM »
What kind of budget??  You could grab Carl's MBHO actives with cards and Hypers.  These would work for open taping or undercover. 

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=177751.0
I second this recommendation. The price is great for such a flexible set up. Not affiliated, BUT have coveted MBHO's forever!   ;D
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Mr.Fantasy

• Taperssection Member
  • Jesus saves...
« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2016, 04:09:34 PM »
MBHO.....???

I am totally unfamiliar I guess. Compares to Schoeps and Neumann?

And what is that Telefunken device he is selling? Is that a preamp?

How would these mics do with a Grace V3?
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 04:45:40 PM by Mr.Fantasy »

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2016, 05:33:45 PM »
If you want Neumann you could go this route!! 

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=178035.0

MBHO.....???

Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER | Neumann kk 184 (matched)> Nbob/PFA
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2016, 06:22:44 PM »
MBHO.....???

i have a bunch of mbho cards > v3 tapes on the archive. one of my fav rigs ive ever ran or owned.

https://archive.org/details/dbt2005-04-01.mbho

https://archive.org/details/dbt2005-05-19.mbho.flac16

Offline jefflester

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2016, 08:08:09 PM »
The Telefunken box is a power supply that goes with the mics as a set. They are vacuum  tube mics so require a special power supply.
« Last Edit: July 12, 2016, 08:09:42 PM by jefflester »
DPA4061 HEB -> R-09 / AT943 -> CA-UGLY -> R-09
AKG CK63 -> nBob actives -> Baby NBox -> R-09/DR2d
AKG CK63 -> AKG C460B -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII
Line Audio CM4/Superlux S502/Samson C02/iSK Little Gem/Sennheiser E609/Shure SM57 -> Zoom F8/DR-680MKII (multitracked band recordings)

Offline MakersMarc

• Trade Count: (17)
  • 😈
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2016, 08:23:57 PM »
I would say the ballpark budget for the open rig is going to be $3,000 (this would be used more often). The budget for the stealth rig would be more like $1,000 ballpark and is less important right now. I want to get the open rig done first.

But those could go higher depending on what sort of ideas are discussed. If we are going to invest the time to make a good capture, then we need to invest the money to make sure the capture is worth it. That said, we aren't out to spend a few grand automatically. If there are options that can be found for less, then I will explore them.

Used pair of mk4 or 41, 1000-1200. Nbobs active cables 600ish. 6 feet for stealth with 9'foot extension for open taping. Naiant PFA 130. Or nbox for 450ish. Add a used Oade modified 661 for 350 or so and a Sony m10 for 150-200. Add a bar for the mics, stand, batteries, still well under 3k and you have a great sounding open and stealth setup. IMO.

You can go cheaper but if you want great and not just okay I think you gotta spend.
😈 Mk4v/41v>nbob actives>Baby nbox>Oade warm mod Marantz 620.

Open: 4v/41v>nbobs>Nicky mod Naiant PFA>Oade warm mod 661.

Home: the Stereo Hospital budget refurb rig: Lappie>DragonFly Cobalt/Red with Jitterbug>Nikko NR520/Sansui 221>B&W V202 speakers.

Offline rocksuitcase

• RockSuitcase: stage photography
« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2016, 11:14:36 PM »
MBHO.....???

MBHO can exactly be compared to Neumann or Schoeps:
http://www.mbho.de/t1.htm
Herbert Haun has been established in Obrigheim since 1962. The development and manufacture of high quality microphones was and is the essential motivation of all people associated with MBHO.

95 % of each product is actually handmade.

In the past the MBHO microphone factory had been associated with the well known MB QUART company.

Industry customers

Many well known industry customers like Telefunken, Strässer, Dual, Grundig, ITT, Saba, US-Clearcom, Audix and the highly acclaimed Brauner valve tube microphones have been satisfied partners of MBHO.

Background

Herbert Haun - CEOThe personal background of Herbert Haun is more than impressive. His education was done at Bayer years ago, since then he was always involved in the production of microphones.

Manfred Schneider - Chief EngineerMBHO's chief engineer, Manfred Schneider, was involved for a long time with the famous Dr. Schoeps.

This background should give you confidence regarding the products and their quality.

THat last sentence is theirs, not added by me! MBHO is some serious stuff.
music IS love

When you get confused, listen to the music play!

Mics:         AKG460|CK61|CK1|CK3|CK8|Beyer M 201E|DPA 4060 SK
Recorders:Marantz PMD661 OADE Concert mod; Tascam DR680 MKI x2; Sony PCM-M10

Offline Sebastian

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #10 on: July 13, 2016, 02:17:59 AM »
MBHO.....???

I have run MBHO cards exclusively for the last 10 years before making the switch to Schoeps earlier this year. The MBHO company is owned by a former Schoeps employee, so there's definately a relationship between the two brands. They're great mics. A little brighter than Neumanns or Schoeps.

Here's a few of my captures:
https://archive.org/details/ryanadams2006-10-09.mbho.flac16
https://archive.org/details/thenational2013-06-22.mbho.flac16
https://archive.org/details/tod2013-04-28.mbho.flac16
https://archive.org/details/billybragg2012-05-27.mbho.flac16

The MBHOs are cheap compared to the other options, especially the active setup. You can get a pair of single capsule attachments from an MBHO dealer and a Naiant IPA or PFA (instead of the full bodies) to power/amplify them.

Offline dean

• Akustische u. Kino-Geräte!!!!
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • The Dude abides...
Light weight: Sound Pro AT 831 or MBHO's > tinybox > D7 or Samson PM4's > Denecke PS-2 > D7
Slutty weight:  [MBHO MBP 603A + (KA100LK/KA200N/KA500HN)] and/or [AKG C 414 b xls (omni/sub-card/card/hyp/8)]  > Hi Ho Silver xlr's/other xlr's > Oade T & W Mod R-4 or UA-5 (BM2p+ mod.) or JB3 or D7

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/deanlambrecht

Offline Fried Chicken Boy

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #12 on: July 13, 2016, 02:57:37 PM »
To add my 2 cents, the Neumann and MBHO setups that are in the Yard Sale right now are both very solid contenders within your budget (the Telefunkens are too, for that matter).  Very flexible rigs and multiple capsules are available for both.  You likely won't find better prices for either as well.  Just comes down to what flavor you prefer; just add a recorder with XLRs and P48 and you're ready to go.  Good luck! 

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2016, 06:22:16 PM »
What did your dad tape with? If he liked those tapes, why not get those mics. Microphones havent changed that much except for digital mics which are out of your budget anyway.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

Offline daspyknows

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Don't ask, don't tell, don't get get caught
« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2016, 11:45:48 PM »

Used pair of mk4 or 41, 1000-1200. Nbobs active cables 600ish. 6 feet for stealth with 9'foot extension for open taping. Naiant PFA 130. Or nbox for 450ish. Add a used Oade modified 661 for 350 or so and a Sony m10 for 150-200. Add a bar for the mics, stand, batteries, still well under 3k and you have a great sounding open and stealth setup. IMO.

You can go cheaper but if you want great and not just okay I think you gotta spend.

I would second this option.  I prefer the NBox option but agree the mics/preamp can easily suit both purposes and would give you a kickass rig.  We can debate the details but listen to your ears.  Samples of all these rigs out there and you can listen and decide. 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.15 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com