Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: USBPre 2 > SPDIF > MicroTrackII for the field ?  (Read 25196 times)

Offline nino

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
USBPre 2 > SPDIF > MicroTrackII for the field ?
« on: May 24, 2011, 05:32:53 PM »
Hi,

I need help to put together a battery powered setup for the USBPre2, passing the digital signal via SPDIF to a MicroTrackII for a cheap, small and lightweight combo (limited to 24/96). Would there be a difference in the signal if I'd use a PCM-D50 as DAT?
I understand that I will need an additional battery powered USB power source for the field. I would greatly appreciate if you could tell me where to find a tried product.

Later on, I might invest in an iPad via USB. Did you try that? Quality-wise this might be preferable, because this combo should be able to go up to 192kHz, right?

Thank you in advance for any help with this (I know that I'm not the only one interested in this combo ;-)

nino

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Trade Count: (149)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Spreadicated
Re: USBPre 2 > SPDIF > MicroTrackII for the field ?
« Reply #1 on: May 24, 2011, 06:00:30 PM »
Sony PCM D50 isn't a DAT!!!  I would get a D50 to run with the USBpre2 instead of the MTII.  The D50 runs on AA batteries and gets really good run times. 

Hi,

I need help to put together a battery powered setup for the USBPre2, passing the digital signal via SPDIF to a MicroTrackII for a cheap, small and lightweight combo (limited to 24/96). Would there be a difference in the signal if I'd use a PCM-D50 as DAT?
I understand that I will need an additional battery powered USB power source for the field. I would greatly appreciate if you could tell me where to find a tried product.

Later on, I might invest in an iPad via USB. Did you try that? Quality-wise this might be preferable, because this combo should be able to go up to 192kHz, right?

Thank you in advance for any help with this (I know that I'm not the only one interested in this combo ;-)

nino
Mics: DPA ST4011ER & 4018ER
Preamps: DPA MMA 6000 | Audioroot Femto
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre-10 II | Sony PCM A10

-20        -12         -6        TDS   (32/48)     
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][}   
]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]]][} 
|Record|  Runtime: 4:19.99  {|||] 75%

Offline nino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #2 on: May 24, 2011, 06:14:46 PM »
Just a random technical point, but 192kHz is not necessarily higher quality than 96kHz--it trades accuracy for (unnecessary) frequency response.

I hear. Thank you! But other than that what would be the difference?

Offline nino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: May 24, 2011, 06:42:20 PM »
Sony PCM D50 isn't a DAT!!!  I would get a D50 to run with the USBpre2 instead of the MTII.  The D50 runs on AA batteries and gets really good run times. 

Oops I should have said recorder. I used vocabulary that came to me from my days in sound recordist classes in the 90's.

The D50 is evidently more rugged, but more expensive than a used MTII, bigger, heavier and uses Sony's propitiatory memory sticks. I planned on running the MTII from external power, but now I don't know...

Offline nino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #4 on: May 24, 2011, 06:48:02 PM »
[...] http://www.gearslutz.com/board/so-much-gear-so-little-time/568180-192khz-sampling-loss-accuracy.html

Thank you for all that info! Good that you gave me that link, cause I didn't know what to read tonight ;-) I'll try to follow as much as I can.

And between the D50 and the MTII there should be no difference when recording through the S/PDIF, right? Though, I hear the advice to chose the D50 over the MTII.

« Last Edit: May 24, 2011, 06:51:54 PM by nino »

Offline nino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #5 on: May 24, 2011, 07:07:16 PM »
Does anybody have such practical info as where to get which external battery USB power source for the USBPre 2?

Offline mepaca

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • taperssection member
« Reply #6 on: May 24, 2011, 08:33:29 PM »
Does anybody have such practical info as where to get which external battery USB power source for the USBPre 2?

This Tekkeon http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/618847-REG/Tekkeon_MP3450I_myPower_ALL_Plus_MP3450i.html works like a champ. It powers my usbpre2 and r-44 for 9 1/2 hours. It would power the d50 even longer. It provides usb power and powers any other device between 5 and 19 volts.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #7 on: May 24, 2011, 11:22:32 PM »
I would say get a D50 too
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #8 on: May 24, 2011, 11:41:53 PM »
I would say d50 too. For powering the usbpre2, it just needs 5 volt power so a simple 4 aa battery sled can do that.
I picked up a sled on ebay for $5 and is essentially nothing more than a plastic box with usb, but you can purchase one like this: http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=145628.0

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline nino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #9 on: May 25, 2011, 03:15:44 PM »
@Mepaca and Rastasean

I checked those power options. It looks like I will be able to power the USBPRe2 using 2xP48 and the recorder out of this one charger. That would be a very handy one device solution.

@Bean and Rastasean

Why would you choose the D50 over the MTII? Overall, the D50 is obviously the better machine, but when using the MTII exclusively to record the S/PDIF signal from the USBPre2 why should it be any worse for that sole purpose? Is there any technical reason?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #10 on: May 25, 2011, 03:43:28 PM »
^^  They have poor battery runtimes and it is internal so difficult to replace, Loses signal during recording, and has lockup issues.  It isn't a reliable recorder

Offline nino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #11 on: May 25, 2011, 04:09:31 PM »
^^  They have poor battery runtimes and it is internal so difficult to replace, Loses signal during recording, and has lockup issues.  It isn't a reliable recorder
I hear. Thank you!
But than maybe instead of the D50, I could get an iPad for the same money and use that to record. Is there any reason for this to be less efficient than a D50?

Offline jbell

• TDS
  • Spreadicated
« Reply #12 on: May 25, 2011, 04:13:21 PM »
I would think a D50 would be a much easier device to use for recording and probably have better battery run times!  I have never used an ipad so not really sure.

Offline nino

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #13 on: May 25, 2011, 04:19:32 PM »
I would think a D50 would be a much easier device to use for recording and probably have better battery run times!  I have never used an ipad so not really sure.
Neither have I, but I figure you could feed directly on the field all the software you want... That's tempting if feasible.

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #14 on: May 25, 2011, 04:51:35 PM »
I hear. Thank you!
But than maybe instead of the D50, I could get an iPad for the same money and use that to record. Is there any reason for this to be less efficient than a D50?

I would get the d50 and be done with it. I haven't owned the d50 or the microtrack II but I certainly would not own it based on what I have heard and read about it.

Why would you consider getting a portable web browser to record as opposed to a stand alone device?
Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.127 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com