Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Problem Solved: Recovering hard disk space on MacBook.  (Read 6660 times)

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Recovering hard disk space on MacBook.
« Reply #15 on: November 23, 2015, 12:38:45 PM »
The 'other' stuff can be a pretty tricky pain in the ass.  Spent a solid week, a few months ago, trying to figure out how to get rid of mine (it was like 90 gigs of a 500 gb drive) with more or less no luck. Was very frustrating

Yes it can. In our case it was FCP files buried deep in the drive. 2 files amounting to 320 GB. Got rid of both and reclaimed almost all of the 320.

Offline scb

• Eli Manning should die of gonorrhea and rot in hell. Would you like a cookie, son?
  • Trade Count: (11)

Offline DigiGal

• AES Associate Member
  • Trade Count: (30)
  • Stay healthy and safe!
    • DigiGal Internet Archive Recordings
Re: Recovering hard disk space on MacBook.
« Reply #17 on: November 23, 2015, 08:48:09 PM »
The 'other' stuff can be a pretty tricky pain in the ass.  Spent a solid week, a few months ago, trying to figure out how to get rid of mine (it was like 90 gigs of a 500 gb drive) with more or less no luck. Was very frustrating

Yes it can. In our case it was FCP files buried deep in the drive. 2 files amounting to 320 GB. Got rid of both and reclaimed almost all of the 320.

Glad to see you've gotten this resolved...

Repeating the link to the set of lessons that explain FCPX media management in great detail.  FCPX is unique in the way it handles files which can be very large via its library/event/project/backup/render/proxy etc.  Paying for the full set of Ripple Training's media management lessons will be invaluable to her if she'll be doing lots of FCPX work.

http://www.rippletraining.com/products/final-cut-pro/final-cut-pro-x-media-management/

Media management via an external external Thunderbolt or USB3 drive for HD or 4K video editing is important and keeping video/media content off the boot drive even if the boot drive is an SSD.  A Thunderbolt RAID 5 array specifically for video editing is a good idea with FCPX as fast and large storage is desireable with FCPX. 

Blackmagic Disk Speed Test is available for free in Apple's App Store is great to evaluate SSD or HDD drives for how they'll work for video editing.

https://itunes.apple.com/us/app/blackmagic-disk-speed-test/id425264550?mt=12
« Last Edit: November 23, 2015, 08:52:23 PM by DigiGal »
Mics: AKG CK91/CK94/CK98/SE300 D-330BT | DPA 4060 4061 4266 | Neumann TLM 103 | Senn ME66/K6/K6RD MKE2 MD421 MD431 | Shure VP88 SM7B SM63L SM58 Anniversary Cables: Gotham GAC-4/1 Quad w/Neutrik EMC | Gotham GAC-2pair w/AKG MK90/3 connectors | DigiGal AES>S/PDIF cable Preamp: SD MixPre-D Recorders: SD MixPre 6 | Marantz PMD 661 Edit: 2011 27" 3.4GHz Quad i7 iMac High Sierra | 2020 13" MBA Quad i7 Catalina | Wave Editor | xACT | Transmission | FCP X 

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.06 seconds with 31 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com