Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: UA-5 (P-Mod) or AD20?  (Read 2787 times)

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • #TeamRetired
UA-5 (P-Mod) or AD20?
« on: April 09, 2004, 12:58:54 AM »
First show out of stealthing being (hopefully) The Dead in Boston this year, and if I get lawn tickets instead of reserved, then I'll atleast consider taping. Followed by Phish's festival, and then the National Folk Festival to round out my summer taping.

I'm getting a NJB3 for taping with optical, and its just a matter of pre-amp to go with it (and later mics, but I'd like to know whats behind them first, or should I go the other way arround).  I know that various amps/ADs have characteristics, and I've listened to some tapes, but not able to differentiate mic coloration from amp coloration. Also, not sure if I should choose my mics before amp, kinda like a compliment thing.

Down to either a UA-5 with presence mod, or a Denecke AD20 (which I can find for half the costs of a P-Mod). I'm not looking for a warm pull, but a more realistic even tape which I've heard the presence mod does.

Looking at mics which when combined with the amp are less then $1000, but thats a seperate post.

Comments?
Thanks.

-- Page
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline Zaphod

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Re:UA-5 (P-Mod) or AD20?
« Reply #1 on: April 09, 2004, 01:33:17 AM »
Not having the experience with a UA5 I know most will say:

Good mics should be had before a good pre-amp. Mics will give more to your recording than a good pre combined lesser quality mics.

I have an AD-20 its easy to use and power, but I'm sure a modded UA5 would sound better.
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #2 on: April 09, 2004, 01:24:22 PM »
Not having the experience with a UA5 I know most will say:

Good mics should be had before a good pre-amp. Mics will give more to your recording than a good pre combined lesser quality mics.

Yeah, i've heard that before also, and in hind sight should have finished my research on various mics first before I did this. bleh.

-- Page
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: April 09, 2004, 07:44:34 PM »
Just recently sold my ad-20 for a Oade digimod UA-5. Taped with it last night for the first time (Yonder).  Now having just taped Leftover Salmon 2 weeks earlier, same venue, same mics (393's) but with the ad-20; I can definately tell a difference between the two units (at least with my mics).  The AD-20 produced a much "warmer" sound with more depth. The UA-5 was somewhat thin, but don't get me wrong, still pulled a decent tape. You figure both peices are about the same price range, however you get many more added benefits with the UA-5. See lit for more info on what it offers.  

Talking with Oade, they seem to think the warm mod would be a great match for the 393's. I would think the wmod, coupled with all the other benefits of the UA-5 would make it the clear winner, but yes, you'd have to cough up an additional $200.

Hmmm, so what comes first? The wmod or a mic upgrade to 480's...

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #4 on: April 09, 2004, 08:42:52 PM »
John I guess you decided to keep your mics then? I'd do the warm mod then get the 480s. You already have some good sounding mics.

Yeah Page, I am guilty of that, I bought an AD20 before upgrading from CSB's and now I'm stuck with my CSB's dammit!

Offline jdawg

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #5 on: April 09, 2004, 08:59:07 PM »
"It keeps sucking you back in..."  ;)
Yeah, ended up selling the 91 caps, ad-20 and ps2.  I've only ever used the 93's. So anyway, yes, ended up getting the UA-5 which I've been eyeing for quite some time now.  Now if I can just sell my CSB's that would just about cover the wmod. (hint, hint, yard sale)

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: April 09, 2004, 09:48:42 PM »
I know I should sell the CSBs, but I wouldn't have any mics. I'm stuck with them till I can save up enough for some more quality mics.

Offline BCostigan

• I can resist everything except temptation
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Loose Lucy is my delight
    • GranitePhotography
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2004, 10:14:52 PM »
Just recently sold my ad-20 for a Oade digimod UA-5. Taped with it last night for the first time (Yonder).  Now having just taped Leftover Salmon 2 weeks earlier, same venue, same mics (393's) but with the ad-20; I can definately tell a difference between the two units (at least with my mics).  The AD-20 produced a much "warmer" sound with more depth. The UA-5 was somewhat thin, but don't get me wrong, still pulled a decent tape. You figure both peices are about the same price range, however you get many more added benefits with the UA-5. See lit for more info on what it offers.  

Talking with Oade, they seem to think the warm mod would be a great match for the 393's. I would think the wmod, coupled with all the other benefits of the UA-5 would make it the clear winner, but yes, you'd have to cough up an additional $200.

Hmmm, so what comes first? The wmod or a mic upgrade to 480's...

Never thought I'd see someone describe the ad-20 as "warmer" than another pre!

As for what comes first......I'd go with the warm mod over the 480s.   I ran the 393s and think they are a great sounding mic!  

I always buy gear that I know will retain it's value well (at least I try to!)  and the warm mod ua-5 retains it's value very well compared to most other gear.  

"A Hippie is someone who walks like Tarzan, looks like Jane, and smells like Cheetah."  ~Ronald Reagan

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 36 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com