Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 ?'s  (Read 5633 times)

Offline caymanreview

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Needs to get out more...
    • shows ive taped  that are in circulation
JB3 ?'s
« on: June 18, 2003, 10:05:49 PM »
well im thinking about unloading the M1 and switching to a jb3

the thing is that i dont really know alot about them. just a few things i have read here

where did everyone pick thiers up for the cheapest? power supplys? different sizes?

any help is much appreciated
Thanks

Offline geoff piper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
Re:JB3 ?'s
« Reply #1 on: June 18, 2003, 10:52:28 PM »
i know they come in 20 gb and 40 gb. and by using price grabber you can get it for 254 and then an extra battery is like 40... and if you do how much for the M1 ;D

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #2 on: June 18, 2003, 11:03:25 PM »
sent you a pm

Offline geoff piper

• Taperssection Member
  • I regret selling my rig :(
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2003, 11:06:59 PM »

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #4 on: June 19, 2003, 10:35:52 AM »
I don't have one yet but have been asking a lot of questions and getting great answers.  Hopefully I can help answer some questions!  If you have more ask them up, I'd like to glean as much as I can from this discussion :D

>where did everyone pick theirs up for the cheapest?

There doesn't seem to be one place to grab these up cheap.  For some reason they aren't falling to much in price.  There was one webstore which had them for $199 after $50 rebate but it expired on the 5th and they're now on there for $270+.  I'd recommend keeping a keen eye on ebay, pricewatch.com, and techbargains.com (great site if anyone doesn't know about it!).

If anyone has a great lead on where to get these cheap I'd love to know as well.  FWIW, someone else mentioned a few days ago that Nomad/Creative is going to put to market a few new recorders this fall (maybe?  can't recall exact timeframe).  This means either a new version of the JB3 we can use or that the JB3 will go down in price a good bit for being "outdated".  I'm guessing that they won't make another unit which we could utilize for taping, just a guess going on what is "new and hot" in that market and digital recording doesn't seem like a real driving force for sales.

>power supplys?

Power has been flakey!  Anything external cannot be trusted apparently.  There are two battery bays internal on the unit, when you have 2 in there it can run for like 5-7 hours I believe.  With one you only get about 2.5... you'd have to purchase the second battery and they can be found from $35-50 on ebay and the like.  Again, if anyone has had success in using something external it'd be neat to hear about!

>different sizes?

20 and 40 gig versions available.  I think everyone agree's that the 20 is more then enough for what we do and that 40 is too much of a diminutive return for your $$.  What is cool that if you have two you could use one to tape and one as a vault for archived stuff until you can get it onto a computer.  You can go from JB3 > JB3 now..

Hope that helps!
Nick
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

jpschust

« Reply #5 on: June 19, 2003, 10:45:44 AM »
DO NOT DO IT.  And I own a JB3.  Yes it makes your transferring quicker- but honestly- if you already own a DAT and aren't in dire need of the cash difference then keep your DAT and keep using that.  It's a more reliable option than the JB3.  I can go into more details just as some others can

Offline quantegy

• Taperssection Regular
  • AKG 391's > UA-5 > JB3
« Reply #6 on: June 19, 2003, 11:11:35 AM »
About the power supply, a friend of mine went to Bonnaroo and was worried about power for his new JB3 and rigged up something with two 12V batteries and the car adapter. I saw it briefly before he left and it looked cool, not too bulky, the batteries were a little heavy but not bad. He jsut got back yesterday and don't know how it worked or how much life he got out of it but will get more details if people are interested. I can even go down to his house (2 minute walk) and snap some pictures and get some part #'s.

Offline Nick in Edinboro

• Wishes he was fishing right now...
  • Toshiba SD3690 > HK AR-20 > B&K ST-140 > Axiom M22
    • moepics.com - share your shots of moe.
« Reply #7 on: June 19, 2003, 11:13:50 AM »
In terms of reliability it'd be good to know what your going to put in front of it too..

I know that people using the C02 had nothing but trouble but those using a UA-5 seem to love it.  So that does matter as well.

DAT's can be unreliable too, but perhaps not near as unreliable as the JB3 from some reports.  However, it again, comes back to what and how your feeding it a signal I think...
Oktava MC012's (dorseymod) > UA-5 (digmod) > JB3
http://braintuba.no-ip.com

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #8 on: June 19, 2003, 11:38:00 AM »
i would be running a ua5 in front of it

i think im just going to stick with my m1....

jpschust says dont do it, then im not doing it, plain and simple. dont even know the guy and i trust him ;D

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #9 on: June 19, 2003, 12:01:05 PM »
ditto what jpschust said... if you've alread got an M1, there's no need to go JB3 unless you're hurting for the cash.
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

Offline caymanreview

« Reply #10 on: June 19, 2003, 01:36:23 PM »
not hurting for the cash thats for sure...

new car, new job at 1.5 times the pay... all in one week

im doing pretty damn good. also picked up a digi mod ua5 for pretty cheap today also

havin a great week folks ;D

wrangler_n_space

« Reply #11 on: June 19, 2003, 03:02:26 PM »
I love mine. I had nothing with problems with dat from the get go adnnow that i have played with the jb3 for a little while i love it. It worked fine with the ad-20 and worked great with the ua-5 last night. ABout 12 shows and no dropouts. Only problem i have had with it is having it freeze someitmes. Not while recording but just before or when shutting down. Its a quick fix with a paper clip, just reset and you are set. Also i dont like the three second delay before recording. Transfers are a breeze. and no tapes to buy.
I got mine on ebay for 125$ i think.20g

Offline bush

• "Taper Pimp"
  • Taperssection Member
  • Steppin to the beat
« Reply #12 on: June 19, 2003, 07:57:13 PM »

I know that people using the C02 had nothing but trouble

just to get my .02 in here...I use the c02, and have never a single problem with signal, dropouts, anything...like 20-25 shows...not a glich

jb3 lover!!! ;D ;D
Team Bama--Duct tape Mafia

"RIGLESS"

1985 CJ-7 stretched on 38's

Offline Lee

• Team Bama
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • "I hate the f***in' eagles, man!"
« Reply #13 on: June 19, 2003, 08:38:14 PM »
team bama = JB3 fluffers ;)

Clayton, the easy way around that 3 second delay is to start a recording, let it run a few seconds, then hit pause.  Hit play when you're ready to start and it's nearly instantaneous (faster than releasing a D8 from record pause).

-Lee
Denon AVR 3808ci > Paradigm Reference Studio 20 + Velodyne DLS 3750

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.121 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com