Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: replacement for AT853subcards  (Read 3798 times)

Offline pillowman

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
replacement for AT853subcards
« on: November 24, 2016, 01:40:38 PM »
aloa togehther !
cause I am searching for a long time to get some AT853sc caps (used while they are discountinued)
without success I am asking myself what could be a replacement for this nice sounding caps.
So without coming to a clue it's time to throw this question into our board.
So what could be a replacement to the AT853 subcards ?
They should be small and stealthy, brand doesn't matter, easy to power with just a 9V/12V bbox,
for loud and amplified rock shows close to the stage and/or speakers  ???
hm, ... any ideas ? Curious what the taper community have in mind  :D
so thanks for reading
greetings
pillowman

btw. I am still open for AT853sc offers !!!

RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: replacement for AT853subcards
« Reply #1 on: November 24, 2016, 05:23:03 PM »
I wonder why AT doesnt offer these anymore?
Bh photo still has the Omni and Hypers for them.

Offline Humbug

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Humbug Hum Rejection Unit
    • Trading site
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2016, 01:54:31 AM »
I asked AT UK if a minimum order quantity could be put in a year ago, and got the brush off, saying that they'd feed the request back to Japan. Never heard back.
UK based taper: MK4>Nbox Platinum>PCM-M10
AT853C>CA9200 / PIPsqueak>Tascam DR-2D

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Humbug66

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2016, 11:26:50 AM »
DPA 4060/4061 omnis for me.  Even smaller than the ATs, and a step up in sound quality with regards to clean clarity and frequency extension.

I've a specific application where a subcard pattern would be preferable to omni, yet I still need a very small lightweight mic, so the 853 subcard lingers in my mind as possibly the best solution, at less cost.  I've not found any available however, so I plan to go back to using hard-foam ball attachments with the DPAs mounted flush in them, which makes them sort of subcardioid-like in the frequency range from the high-mids and up.

But for your application-
They should be small and stealthy, brand doesn't matter, easy to power with just a 9V/12V bbox,
I think the miniature DPA omnis are a good fit without messing with DIY ball attachments.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline down2earthlandscaper

• Gear Collector (Slut/Hoarder) and Multiple-Rig Maniac
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (29)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: January 02, 2017, 01:08:57 AM »
DPA 4060/4061 omnis for me.  Even smaller than the ATs, and a step up in sound quality with regards to clean clarity and frequency extension.

I've a specific application where a subcard pattern would be preferable to omni, yet I still need a very small lightweight mic, so the 853 subcard lingers in my mind as possibly the best solution, at less cost.  I've not found any available however, so I plan to go back to using hard-foam ball attachments with the DPAs mounted flush in them, which makes them sort of subcardioid-like in the frequency range from the high-mids and up.

But for your application-
I think the miniature DPA omnis are a good fit without messing with DIY ball attachments.

^^^This, exactly.

I don't know that I've even run my AT853's since I picked up my pair of 4061's...
Mics: CA-14(cards & omnis) and CA-11(cards & omnis) ; AT853's(cards, hypers, mini shotguns); Busman BSC-1 (cards, hypers, omnis)
Nakamichi CM300's (CP-1,2,3,4) Nakamichi CM700's (cards, omnis)
Tascam PE-120's (cards, omnis) Countryman B2D
DPA 4061's DPA 4022's; DPA 4080; AKG 480 ck61 and ck63; Naiant AKG Active Cables
Preamps: CA-9100; Naiant Tinybox (12v/48v + PIP 8V); Naiant Littlebox;
DPA MPS6030; Sound Device Mix Pre-D
Decks: Mixpre 10T and 6; Roland R-07; Marantz PMD620; Sony PCM M10; Edirol R-4; Zoom H6; Marantz PMD-661; Sound Devices 722

Offline fandelive

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #5 on: January 02, 2017, 03:56:14 AM »
DPA 4060/4061 omnis for me. [...] I think the miniature DPA omnis are a good fit without messing with DIY ball attachments.

If I knew you were only taping in small clubs or doing stack taping in 1000-1500 capacity venues, I'd suggest you a good pair of omnis too and a bit of bass roll-off in post.

But for huge arenas and/or if you want to stay with super cardioid caps, you could consider the SP-CMC-25.

Samples on Dime.
Mics : Sony ECM-717, MM-HLSC-1 (4.7k mod), SP-CMC-4 (at853), 2x DPA4060, 2x DPA4061
Battery box : SP-SPSB-6524 w/bass roll-off filter, MM-CBM-1
Preamp : Church Audio CA-9100
Recorders : Sony MZR-700PC, Edirol R-09HR, Tascam DR-2d

Offline John Willett

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Bio:
    • Sound-Link ProAudio
« Reply #6 on: January 02, 2017, 05:37:12 AM »
The Line Audio CM3 should be high on the list.

Thay call it a "cardioid", but the polar-pattern clearly shows it to be a sub-cardioid.

Suberb little mic. and the price is stupidly low.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #7 on: January 02, 2017, 08:29:48 AM »
^
This.  I've not used them, but have liked what I've heard from the Line Audios. The Line Audio mics are not large as SD's go, are standard-size XLR connected / P48 powered.  I'd have picked up a pair already except my application requires something miniature sized, light-weight and low-voltage powered.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline pillowman

• Taperssection Member
    • www.openingtime.lima-city.de
« Reply #8 on: January 02, 2017, 10:29:28 AM »
The Line Audio CM3 should be high on the list.

Thay call it a "cardioid", but the polar-pattern clearly shows it to be a sub-cardioid.

Suberb little mic. and the price is stupidly low.

thanks for the hint - about those little swedish bastards I need some more information ...
as I will always go stealthy what is the smallest possible way to power them right,
I have many recorders but noone offers 48V ... so what small box do I have to add to my stuff ?
also:
which are the smallest / best cables to connect the mics with the recorder (stealthwise) ?
thanks for your answers
cheers
___
pm
RECORDERS: Sony PCM-A10 / 3x Sony PCM-M10 / TASCAM DR-2d / Sony NH 600 / Sharp MD-MT180(H) / Sony MZ-R35
MICS: LINE AUDIO CM3, AT853c, ATU853c, hc  (4.7k mod) / Sony ECM-717 / 3x Sennheiser ME104
BBox's: Denecke PS-2 / SP-SPSB-9 / SP-SPSB-10 / SP-SPSB-20 / Soundman A3

trading page: www.openingtime.lima-city.de

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com