Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: High Gig Portable Flac Player recomendations  (Read 46686 times)

Offline Neilyboy

• Trade Count: (14)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: High Gig Portable Flac Player recomendations
« Reply #45 on: June 09, 2010, 03:43:22 PM »
For those people using these players in the car, what kind of FM transmitters are people using to get playback on the car stereo?  I've never owned any of them before, but from what i've seen/heard from friends, there weren't any great, reliable options.

FWIW I have been using a Cowon iAudio 7 for my portable FLAC playback.  Sounds good and is small in size. 

Thanks.

I tell ya what. I have been very happy with my $3.50 purchase from here.

http://www.buyincoins.com/car-kit-mp3-player-foldable-fm-transmitter-for-sd-mmc-usb-cd-02-product-1097.html

Only took about a week for it to get here and they shipped it the day I ordered... I have used a bunch of the cheap fm transmitters in the past and this is about the best out of all of the cheap batch. then again ymmv as it depends on where you are located and what is being broadcast if it will work as well for you.

throw in your zip and state you are located in and this site will give you the best chans to use (fairly accurate here in central illinois).
http://www.belkin.com/mybestfm/

neil
Mic's: AKG C214's, Line Audio CM3, AT4041SP, AT853 (C, SC, O), AT943 (C, H)
Pre's: Sound Devices MixPre 2
Rec's: Sony PCM-M10, Edirol R-44, Tascam DR60D MKii, Tascam DR70D x 2

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2010, 08:47:19 PM »
FWIW, I never liked any of the FM transmitters I tried, even in a crappy listening space like my truck.
(Gotta drown out the sound of flapping beaten old tires somehow! :) )
Best bang for buck by far was buying a new fairly inexpensive generic stereo that has an aux port on the front.

And then stepping up from the headphone-jack out to the audio-out on the bottom of the rockboxed ipod.

Offline mattmiller

• Trade Count: (20)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2010, 09:46:37 PM »
FWIW I have been using a Cowon iAudio 7 for my portable FLAC playback.  Sounds good and is small in size. 

Isn't that only 4 GB though?  An 8-disk CD changer holds that much music.  I've spent hours upon hours looking for something that is truly "high gig" (minimum 40 GB, I guess; ideally 100 GB or more), will play 24-bit FLACs, and will play them seamlessly.  I've turned up nothing.
Mics: Neumann KM100 (x4), AK40 (x2), AK50 (x2)
Pre: Lunatec V3
Recorders: Tascam DR-680, Tascam HD-P2 (x2), Sony PCM-M10

Offline rastasean

• in paradise
  • Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2010, 11:55:00 PM »
I recently grabbed a SanDisk Sansa Clip+ from amazon for under 50 bucks.

I believe I'm going to be picking this up when its back in stock. 8 gigs internal with additional support of micro sd, sweet. I got a 2 gig card that I can put in there and make it ten.

I think I'll be fine with 10 gigs of music since it would be hard for me to pick a song/album if I had a 100 gigs to choose from.

Advice is a form of nostalgia, dispensing it is a way of fishing the past from the disposal, wiping it off, painting over the ugly parts and recycling it for more than it’s worth.

Offline tapeworm48

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I'm running a dojo of coolness...
« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2010, 01:22:36 PM »

Isn't that only 4 GB though?  An 8-disk CD changer holds that much music.  I've spent hours upon hours looking for something that is truly "high gig" (minimum 40 GB, I guess; ideally 100 GB or more), will play 24-bit FLACs, and will play them seamlessly.  I've turned up nothing.

Mine is 8GB, and there was a 16GB option 2+ yrs ago when I made the purchase.

A good friend will come bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you saying, "Damn... We F**ked Up."

Schoeps MK4s / AT831s / DPA4061s
Nbox / Tinybox v1.5 / SPSB-11 / CSbox
M10 / R09 / D100

07/19 Pearl Jam @ Wrigley Field
08/01 QOTSA @ Metro
08/02 Lollapalooza (NIN / QOTSA / Thievery / Band of Horses)
08/15 QOTSA @ Red Rocks
09/23 Arctic Monkeys @ Riviera Theater
10/18 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/19 Pearl Jam @ Barclays
10/21 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
10/22 Pearl Jam @ Wells Fargo Center
11/15 NIN @ Hard Rock
11/16 NIN @ Hard Rock
12/06 Pearl Jam @ Key Arena

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #50 on: June 11, 2010, 03:53:02 PM »
FWIW, I never liked any of the FM transmitters I tried, even in a crappy listening space like my truck.
(Gotta drown out the sound of flapping beaten old tires somehow! :) )
Best bang for buck by far was buying a new fairly inexpensive generic stereo that has an aux port on the front.

And then stepping up from the headphone-jack out to the audio-out on the bottom of the rockboxed ipod.
i didn't realize the ipod dock audio-out worked with rockbox?  at least, it certainly didn't work with my crappy car stereo's ipod connector...but i have a standalone dock that outputs through a stereo jack at home i could try...
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline bobbygeeWOW

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #51 on: June 11, 2010, 04:02:56 PM »
Yep works fine on everything I've tried it on - occasionally the associated remote controls work too, but I can always listen to stuff by selecting the music on the ipod itself.
(which for me mostly means selecting a 3-hour show and not touching it again for a while)

Offline jibooer

• Trade Count: (33)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Searching for the perfect jam...
« Reply #52 on: June 12, 2010, 02:35:38 PM »
Speaking of rockboxed iPods...has anyone tried using this with Yamaha's Ipod docking station (http://www.yamaha.ca/av/Receivers/YDS11.jsp)       (attached to Yamaha receiver). I am wondering if rockboxing it in order to play flacs will make the dock useless.
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL
Pres: Lunatec V2, Sound Devices MP-2
Cables: GAKables exclusively, AKG MK46, Naiant PFA's
Recorders: Edirol R-09HR, Edirol R-44
CPU for DSP: Toshiba Satellite A660 i7 > audioengineD1
Cans: ATH-50
VINYL: Rega Planar 3 > Rega Brio-R > Wharfedale EVO2-30

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #53 on: July 09, 2010, 03:54:15 PM »
My Cowon iAudio 7 is slowly failing after a couple years of very heavy use.  I am looking at the Cowon iAudio 9 or the Sansa Fuze as a replacement.  I see that the Fuze accepts SD cards.  Is it possible to have gapless FLAC playback when playing music off the SD card in the Fuze?  I assume that this question would also pertain to Clip+ owners.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
« Reply #54 on: July 09, 2010, 10:44:53 PM »
What about the HiFiMAN HM801? Link: http://www.hifiman.us/Products/?pid=71
Saw it advertised in Stereophile but haven't looked into it as of yet.
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline jlykos

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Don't sweat the technique
« Reply #55 on: July 09, 2010, 11:53:55 PM »
What about the HiFiMAN HM801? Link: http://www.hifiman.us/Products/?pid=71
Saw it advertised in Stereophile but haven't looked into it as of yet.

I saw that today myself.  Costs $750, battery life is 6-8 hours, and can't play gapless files.  It can play 24/96 FLAC, which is something that no other player can do.  I'm not buying one.
dpa 4061 > Church Audio 9200 > Sony PCM-D50 (Moon Audio Silver Dragon v3 interconnect)

"I have no views," Mickey Melchiondo, known as Dean Ween, said in a philosophical moment. "I am way too stupid. I have no strong feelings about anything. I'm really into television and the computer. I believe everything I see on TV and read on the Internet."

Offline Kush

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Catch you on the flip-side!
« Reply #56 on: July 10, 2010, 01:09:58 AM »
Screw that thing, way too much $$$ and can't play gapless files. So much for that idea.
AKG SE300b (CK91/CK93) or SP-LSD2 > Busman Transparency mod Tascam HD-P2

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #57 on: July 26, 2010, 12:34:01 PM »
thinking about pulling the trigger on a SansaClip+...is there any problem playing 24bit FLACs on this puppy?
Mics: AKG c460b (ck61, ck62, ck63, ck1x, ck3x), NBob Actives, Naiant Actives, ADK A-51TL

Offline Colin Liston

• Trade Count: (8)
« Reply #58 on: July 26, 2010, 04:51:18 PM »
I'm not sure they make this any more but Kenwood's Music Keg played FLACs.  Not sure why this type thing didn't catch on.

The KHD-C710 Kenwood Music Keg lets you enjoy a huge music collection in your car - its transportable 10GB DMS cartridge can hold up to 2,500 of your songs at standard MP3 compression - as easily as playing CDs or listening to the radio.The KHD-C710 includes Kenwood PhatNoise Music Manager PC software, a USB docking cradle that connects to your PC and can be used with multiple computers, a 10GB DMS cartridge featuring internal shock-absorbing suspension and the Kenwood Music Keg unit. The Music Manager software makes it easy to rip and collect music on your computer in MP3, WMA, WAV and FLAC formats, and it even lets you get audiobooks and other spoken-word files from Audible.com. You can organize them all into custom playlists, and Music Manager's Dynamic Playlist capability will even automatically update the playlists as you get new music. Then insert the DMS cartridge into the docking cradle and transfer your music. The DMS cartridge is small enough to fit in your shirt pocket, so bringing your collection to your car couldn't be easier. The Kenwood Music Keg unit installs and connects just like a CD changer - simply insert the cartridge and you're ready to roll. The KHD-C710 is compatible with most 2002 and many 2001 - 1998 Kenwood in-dash receivers, or use the KCA-R70FM adapter and you can add the KHD-C710 to any car stereo that has an FM radio.
Occasionally....music mics record

Offline jibooer

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #59 on: July 26, 2010, 06:05:54 PM »
just fyi - the sansa clip+ does not support 24 bit FLAC playback, only 16 bit.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.097 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com