Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: SBM-1 Who does mods???  (Read 11219 times)

Offline KingReptile

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
SBM-1 Who does mods???
« on: January 03, 2005, 03:42:18 PM »

I got a e-mail stating that Oade no longer will Mod SBM-1 in 2005 who else is there???

Thanks,
Tom

marc0789

Re: SBM-1 Who does mods???
« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2005, 03:52:42 PM »
paging todd ramsden. ;D

Offline keepongoin

• Trade Count: (4)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2005, 03:53:42 PM »
paging todd ramsden. ;D

he quit doing them when he messed one up or something.
“When fascism comes to America, it will be wrapped in the flag and carrying the cross.” Sinclair Lewis: How Fascism Will Come To America (1935)

"Science is facts; just as houses are made of stones, so is science made of facts; but a pile of stones is not a house and a collection of facts is not necessarily science."- Henri Poincare

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/pierce

Offline ashevillain

• Trade Count: (25)
« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2005, 03:58:56 PM »
I tried both of those and neither would mod mine either (in '04). :( Might be time for me to move on to something else.

marc0789

« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2005, 04:15:37 PM »
or sell yours to someone who doesn't want the pre disabled, 'cause they want to run naks or whatever, and buy a modded one.

Offline Todd R

• Over/Under on next gear purchase: 2 months
  • Trade Count: (29)
« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2005, 04:55:57 PM »
paging todd ramsden. ;D

Yep, that's about the size of it.  I never really did them anyway.  Just helped a few friends out.  After doing jbk's and breaking off that really, really tiny internal power switch when I put the innards back into the case I said screw it, let people go to the Oades.
Mics: Microtech Gefell m20/m21 (nbob/pfa actives), Line Audio CM3, Church CA-11 cards
Preamp:  none <sniff>
Recorders:  Sound Devices MixPre-6, Sony PCM-M10, Zoom H4nPro

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #6 on: January 04, 2005, 02:18:08 PM »
He Dough told me me a couple weeks ago that he'd mod one... that's weird.
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2005, 09:48:31 AM »
He Dough told me me a couple weeks ago that he'd mod one... that's weird.

My bad- he told me he'd do a w/p/t mod, not the "24-bit" mod
Tickets are dead to me.  Except the ones I have, don't have, and lost.  Not to mention the ones you have, don't have, and lost.   And the ones that other dude has, doesn't have, and lost.  Let me know if you need some tickets, I'm happy to oblige. 

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
  • Trade Count: (2)
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2005, 09:51:50 AM »
My bad- he told me he'd do a w/p/t mod, not the "24-bit" mod

I believe it is the same thing...the mod he called "24 bit mod" was the WMod as far as I know.

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2005, 09:58:49 AM »
'aight, If they are the same, he told me he'd do it in an email from Dec 2nd that he'd do it.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #10 on: January 05, 2005, 10:21:42 AM »
'aight, If they are the same, he told me he'd do it in an email from Dec 2nd that he'd do it.

yeah, where this gets confusing (I think) is he labeled his mod units on teh box that it had the 24 bit ADC mod, which was what he called the "complete line stage upgrade" the $250 mod that most referred to as the Oade Mod SBM....it just so happens that most of these mods were done in the W variety, a few in the P variety and just recently he has started doing T mods...

Offline Mike Sarnovsky

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • I love the 722!
« Reply #11 on: January 07, 2005, 11:37:35 AM »
About 2 years ago I paid $400 and got the Coax upgrade and the "complete line stage upgrade."  Are you saying that none of these services are offered anymore?  I wonder why they don't do it anymore. 

I've been out of it for awhile... what is the T mod? 
Mics:  Neumann SKM-140, Neumann SKM-184
Pres:  Lunatec V3, Sound Devices MP-2
A/D:  Oade Mod Sony SBM-1
Recorder:  Sound Devices 722, Nomad JB3

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2005, 11:54:16 AM »
the complete line stage upgrade as I understand it was done as a Warm-Mod to the unit...now he offers a Transparent Mod and a Presence Mod

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2005, 03:00:07 PM »
you guys have any idea what the going rate for an oade mod sbm-1 is used, in good cond?

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

• Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2005, 03:10:16 PM »
you guys have any idea what the going rate for an oade mod sbm-1 is used, in good cond?

with the line stage? $550 or so
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
« Reply #16 on: January 13, 2005, 09:45:39 AM »
It's been a little while, but here's what I did. Call Doug and tell him that his mod on the sbm1 is the shit and you need to have it. You've heard lots of good tapes and you really want that piece of gear. He may or may not decide to humor you... I buy lots of stuff there so maybe that helped, but Doug seems pretty reasonable.  YMMV. Good luck.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • i'm busy fabercating
« Reply #17 on: January 13, 2005, 10:18:46 AM »
paging todd ramsden. ;D

Yep, that's about the size of it.  I never really did them anyway.  Just helped a few friends out.  After doing jbk's and breaking off that really, really tiny internal power switch when I put the innards back into the case I said screw it, let people go to the Oades.

i would like to also state that i was not mad that this happened, and tood made it all good by using some skills to over ride the on off switch anyway.
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

Offline fozzy

• move along, nothing much to see here
« Reply #18 on: January 13, 2005, 10:46:52 AM »
paging todd ramsden. ;D

i would like to also state that i was not mad that this happened, and tood made it all good by using some skills to over ride the on off switch anyway.

so yours is always on?  assuming you have power to it?
MK 4V > KCY 250/5 Ig (KS 10I)  > VST62IUg > 722

Jason B

« Reply #19 on: January 13, 2005, 10:05:15 PM »
It's been a little while, but here's what I did. Call Doug and tell him that his mod on the sbm1 is the shit and you need to have it. You've heard lots of good tapes and you really want that piece of gear. He may or may not decide to humor you... I buy lots of stuff there so maybe that helped, but Doug seems pretty reasonable.  YMMV. Good luck.

He recently turned me down...

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2005, 03:14:06 AM »

He recently turned me down...

Me as well.  He's not going to do any mods.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline gewwang

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2005, 06:03:12 AM »
I got mine done in early Sept. On 9/23, he had posted something on the forum saying he was only modding the units they sold as he couldn't do anymore than that due to his back problems.

Offline shaggy

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2005, 08:52:32 AM »
When I sent mine in to do the DC to DC converter replacement in mid October 2004 (I fried it), I asked about other flavored mods and he offered to swap out the W-mod for a P or T mod chip for $75.  I declined after I thought hard about a T mod.

Offline junkbondking

• a good story and a good massage both have happy endings
  • i'm busy fabercating
« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2005, 08:57:41 AM »
paging todd ramsden. ;D

so yours is always on?  assuming you have power to it?

no, i keep the external male plug covered with a cable.  unplug it when it is ready to go.  using 4x 2300mah rechargeables to power the sucker. 
www.poachninja.com  "you've been poached"

km184 -> busman modded R4

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2005, 11:00:59 AM »
When I sent mine in to do the DC to DC converter replacement in mid October 2004 (I fried it), I asked about other flavored mods and he offered to swap out the W-mod for a P or T mod chip for $75.  I declined after I thought hard about a T mod.

Yeah, in december 2004 he told me he'd do a flavor mod on mine too.  I recently received an email from him saying that he's cutting way back on bench work "for health reasons".   :'(  I sure do hope he's ok.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Tim

« Reply #25 on: January 14, 2005, 01:46:34 PM »
When I sent mine in to do the DC to DC converter replacement in mid October 2004 (I fried it), I asked about other flavored mods and he offered to swap out the W-mod for a P or T mod chip for $75. I declined after I thought hard about a T mod.

Yeah, in december 2004 he told me he'd do a flavor mod on mine too. I recently received an email from him saying that he's cutting way back on bench work "for health reasons". :'( I sure do hope he's ok.

he's had a bad back and neck for *years*.... he had some pretty major surgery on his back or neck a few years back too...
I’ve had a few weird experiences and a few close brushes with total weirdness of one sort or another, but nothing that’s really freaked me out or made me feel too awful about it. - Jerry Garcia

Offline KingReptile

• Taperssection Member
  • Injection is Nice I'd Rather Be Blown----
    • http://www.angelfire.com/music5/d8maniac/KingReptile_home
« Reply #26 on: January 19, 2005, 01:01:03 AM »
Doug,

Is a man of his word we had exchanged e-mails and had a conversation on the phone before the first of the year..I did get a e-mail saying that he was no longer doing mods on SBM-1s as of Jan 2005.Later he said he would do it as he had told me before  that he would do it..
He also said it would be his last that it was the end of a era, he had high praise for the SBM-1s..I would have to say its health reasons ,too bad nobody there took upon his skills..

Offline nickgregory

• Admitted Jeter Homer
    • Hurricanes Insider
« Reply #27 on: January 19, 2005, 08:48:42 AM »
Doug,

Is a man of his word we had exchanged e-mails and had a conversation on the phone before the first of the year..I did get a e-mail saying that he was no longer doing mods on SBM-1s as of Jan 2005.Later he said he would do it as he had told me before that he would do it..
He also said it would be his last that it was the end of a era, he had high praise for the SBM-1s..I would have to say its health reasons ,too bad nobody there took upon his skills..

In all my dealings with the Oades, they have always treated me well and fairly...good guys...

looks like the bottom may drop out of the unmod SBM1 market now though :P

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #28 on: January 19, 2005, 08:51:37 AM »
yeah, when I saw that he was not modding them anymore, I thought it was definately time to grab one up while I could.

My only dealings with Oade was a purchase of a W-Mod UA-5... which I consequently traded away for a mod SBM-1... I loved the UA-5.
Great product.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline zhianosatch

• god-damned hippies!
« Reply #29 on: January 19, 2005, 09:11:48 AM »
what happens if my modsbm needs repair?

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #30 on: January 19, 2005, 09:12:32 AM »
I've been wondering the same thing whilst reading your guitar thread in the other forum

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline Chris K

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Bound to cover just a little more ground
« Reply #31 on: January 19, 2005, 09:41:13 AM »
if the sbm-1 needs repair you can still go to paul and tom at prodigital. i recently had a problem with my sbm-1 as i reported in this thread:

http://www.taperssection.com/yabbse/index.php?topic=32815.0

I took it to paul on last thursday and it was ready on monday for me to pick up. i will be picking it up tonight.

turns out there was a fractured lead on the rca connection to the pcb board and they replaced it and verified everything was ok. i never told paul it was modded or not, but i imagine he knows it is. (FWIW, doug o did not mod the sbm-1 that i have...someone esle did who replied much earlier on this thread)

i will discuss it with paul more this evening when i pick up the sbm-1. i'll let him know that doug o is no longer doing the mods. i am sure paul and tom are capable enough to perform similar op amp replacements. but not sure if paul has an ear for what is now the warm, prescence, or transparant op amps that doug uses.

if i have time today i will search the oade (old and new) boards and ts.com for the op amps that he prefers for the sbm-1, and pass that info on to paul.
My gear: JK Labs AKG DVC > M10
              AKG 460 ck61/ck62/ck63 > DR-70D

A live concert to me is exciting because of all the electricity that is generated in the crowd and on stage. It's my favorite part of the business, live concerts.
-Elvis Presley

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #32 on: January 19, 2005, 09:44:58 AM »
what happens if my modsbm needs repair?

I'm guessing Doug will honor any repair work, but...who knows?  Give the Oades a call and find out for sure.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline shaggy

• Taperssection All-Star
    • dwonk
« Reply #33 on: January 19, 2005, 10:00:38 AM »
Doug takes total pride in his work.  I doubt he'd turn you down if indeed the unit was bought from the Oades shop.  There are other options to get work done on a SBM....doesn't pro digital work on them?  You know, the typical stuff like when you fry the DC-DC converter ::)

The person that you need to convince to maybe take the reigns is leegeddy.  He is a tinkerer and a great guy.

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #34 on: February 20, 2005, 08:14:00 PM »
so does anybody still do that nice looking coax mod, where there is just the female coax jack coming out to the side of the unit..? i have a unit with the oade line stage rebuild, and would love to get this coax mod done. i thought todd r did them, but i guess not anymore...

i would really like to get the mod done sooner than later - any advice or input is appreciated...
-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Rick

• My Recordings
« Reply #35 on: February 20, 2005, 10:03:50 PM »
so does anybody still do that nice looking coax mod, where there is just the female coax jack coming out to the side of the unit..? i have a unit with the oade line stage rebuild, and would love to get this coax mod done. i thought todd r did them, but i guess not anymore...

i would really like to get the mod done sooner than later - any advice or input is appreciated...

Try Marc (leegeddy), or just buy a 7-pin cable. I got a cable rather then getting the coax mod cause I thought it would be easier to sell if I ever thought about selling it... which I might be soon if/when the PMD-671 comes out.

Retired Taper

Offline pfife

• Emperor of Ticketucky
  • I love/hate tickets.
« Reply #36 on: February 21, 2005, 08:10:33 AM »
I think Fozzy was offering to trade one w/ a coax mod for one w/o a coax mod.  Not sure though...

Hell, I might trade up too, cause I don't use the coax - but mine is a male coax cable coming out of the SBM-1.

Tickets >>>>>>>> Oxygen

Offline macdaddy

« Reply #37 on: February 21, 2005, 10:14:01 AM »
thanks.

i really want the female coax out, because if i am going into a PDAudio CF, i need that miniplug maile out. so i would just ass soon get a rca male > miniplug male cable as the solution...

i have the 7pin cables, but it is too much extra stuff - i amtrying to cut down on the wires...

-macdaddy ++

akg c422 > s42 > lunatec v2 > ad2k+ > roland r-44

Offline Simp-Dawg

• Bad Little Dawggie
  • Daddy needs a drink!
    • Colorado Tapers
« Reply #38 on: February 21, 2005, 03:02:56 PM »
on the topic of sbm-1's....i had a coax-modded 7-pin pigtail that kept getting busted....the coax jack would just come off over time with use.  eventually there was nothing but a nub left.  the last jack finally broke off at mule last weekend.

i had an rmr-d3 sitting around, so i opened it, took out the 7-pin (it has a little connector at the other end which plugs into the circuit board of the device) and swapped these two.  BUT...now if i plug that into my m-1, the power cycles on and off, which leads me to beieve there's something different about this 7-pin pigtail, but i don't know what.  any ideas?
CO Crüe Benchwarmer

Playback: Denon DVD-2910 > Denon AVR-3806 > Segue Doghouse Speaker Cable > B&W DM-610i / Klipsch RW-10 Subwoofer

Offline fozzy

« Reply #39 on: February 21, 2005, 04:43:26 PM »
on the topic of sbm-1's....i had a coax-modded 7-pin pigtail that kept getting busted....the coax jack would just come off over time with use.  eventually there was nothing but a nub left.  the last jack finally broke off at mule last weekend.

i had an rmr-d3 sitting around, so i opened it, took out the 7-pin (it has a little connector at the other end which plugs into the circuit board of the device) and swapped these two.  BUT...now if i plug that into my m-1, the power cycles on and off, which leads me to beieve there's something different about this 7-pin pigtail, but i don't know what.  any ideas?

the cable from the rmr-d3 lacks the blue wire.  dunno what it does but it's not in there.

Offline Josephine

• Trade Count: (6)
« Reply #40 on: February 21, 2005, 05:43:05 PM »
Speaking about mod'd sbm-1s . . . . I'd like to get one to run between my nbox and D100.  What kind should I be looking for?  I understand there are different modifications.
:)
Schoeps MK4 / MK4v / MK41 > actives > NBox+ > R-09HR

~   On Dime   ~
~   My Recordings   ~
~   Live Music Archive   ~

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #41 on: February 21, 2005, 06:01:40 PM »
Speaking about mod'd sbm-1s . . . . I'd like to get one to run between my nbox and D100. What kind should I be looking for? I understand there are different modifications.

A fine choice, the modSBM-1 will smooth out the NBox.  You want one with the stock 7-pin dongle attached so you can plug straight into your D100.

With the modified coax dongle - which seem popular for some reason - you'll have to screw around with a coax > 7-pin cable into your D100, i.e. just more gear/cables to go screwy while taping.  If you can't find a modSBM-1 with a stock 7-pin dongle, there's prolly someone around who can replace the coax dongle with the stock 7-pin dongle, but I'd find out before buying one with the coax dongle.

For the line stage mod proper, just about all of the ones I've seen are warm-mod SBM-1 from the Oade Bros.  There are a rare few transparent mod SBM-1s from Oade, as far as I can tell.  Either will sound good with your setup, I think.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline fozzy

« Reply #42 on: February 21, 2005, 06:55:38 PM »
Speaking about mod'd sbm-1s . . . . I'd like to get one to run between my nbox and D100. What kind should I be looking for? I understand there are different modifications.

A fine choice, the modSBM-1 will smooth out the NBox.  You want one with the stock 7-pin dongle attached so you can plug straight into your D100.

With the modified coax dongle - which seem popular for some reason - you'll have to screw around with a coax > 7-pin cable into your D100, i.e. just more gear/cables to go screwy while taping.  If you can't find a modSBM-1 with a stock 7-pin dongle, there's prolly someone around who can replace the coax dongle with the stock 7-pin dongle, but I'd find out before buying one with the coax dongle.

For the line stage mod proper, just about all of the ones I've seen are warm-mod SBM-1 from the Oade Bros.  There are a rare few transparent mod SBM-1s from Oade, as far as I can tell.  Either will sound good with your setup, I think.

One problem i have seen w/ un-coax modding is that Doug removes the actual internal socket where the 7pin cable normally plugs in.  Would require soldering actual 8 pins onto sbm1 circuit board.  It would be a trivial un-mod if the socket was still there. 

edit: clarity

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.178 seconds with 71 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com