Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: GOT UA5 NOW WHAT  (Read 5970 times)

Offline okietaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
GOT UA5 NOW WHAT
« on: March 03, 2005, 10:43:40 PM »
Can someone help me out with this thing?  I have read a ton of posts about the UA5 and cannot seem to figure out what is wrong with my setup.  C4>UA5>MD/Laptop  I just got the UA5 yesterday.  I ahve installed the drivers on my laptop.  Everything seems to be working ok with the laptop.  The minidisc is working properly.  The issue is that I have to turn the mic sensitivity way up to get levels on the lappy and MD.  Almost full blast.  What am I doing wrong here.  I feel like I need a preamp for my preamp.

Cary

Offline rodeen

• Trade Count: (34)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
Re: GOT UA5 NOW WHAT
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2005, 10:55:11 PM »

Did you turn on the phantom power?  The little button next to the
right-most XLR?

"It's never too late to have a happy childhood!"
[LMA]: http://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%22odeen%22&sort=-date

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
  • You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2005, 11:06:56 PM »
i can't tell you how many times at shows i've had a mini-freak out when I forget to turn on the phantom power switch for a second or two between sets.

"Why the fuck don't I have a signal!!!!!"   "Oh wait, forgot to turn the phantom power back on, never mind."     :P

Also, I think you have may have to have the advanced switch turned on to use a lappy, but I'm not certain since I don't use one.
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

Offline Fatah Ruark (aka MIKE B)

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • I dream in beige.
    • sloppy.art.ink
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2005, 11:09:42 PM »
i can't tell you how many times at shows i've had a mini-freak out when I forget to turn on the phantom power switch for a second or two between sets.

"Why the fuck don't I have a signal!!!!!"   "Oh wait, forgot to turn the phantom power back on, never mind."     :P

Also, I think you have may have to have the advanced switch turned on to use a lappy, but I'm not certain since I don't use one.

I believe the ADV switch sends 24bit thru the USB. If you want to record 16bit leave it off.

MIKE B
||| MICS:  Beyer CK930 | DPA 4022 | DPA 4080 | Nevaton MCE400 | Sennheiser Ambeo Headset |||
||| PREAMPS: DPA d:vice | Naiant Tinybox | Naiant IPA |||
||| DECKS: Sound Devices MixPre6 | iPod Touch 32GB |||
|||Concert History || LMA Recordings || Live YouTube |||

Offline Diggin

• Taperssection All-Star
  • The similarities are frightening.
    • 10,000 Motherf*ckers
« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2005, 12:06:55 AM »
correct, if you want to change it over from 16 to 24 remember to shut off the ua5 first, then do it, and turn back on
Toshiba HD-A2 > HDMI > Panasonic TH-50PX600U
audio to be built soon

Offline bhtoque

• Trade Count: (3)
  • So much music, so little time.
« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2005, 12:25:24 AM »
What is your sound source?

If you are just micing your room at home, you'd have to crank it.

If you've got the stereo shaking the room, and you need to turn it up, then there's a problem.

JAson
MG 200/210/270
AKG c422>s42>Hydra silver interconnects
AKG 391/92/93>MK 90/3 actives
>AM Hyper-Conductors
Studio Projects LSD2>MiAGi II
>Edirol R-4 (Oade T Mod)

db.etree.org/bhtoque

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2005, 08:06:38 AM »
OK I am replying to bits and pieces of all of the posts directed at my inquiry.  I did have the Phantom Power turned on during the trials.  My sound source was my stereo cranked in my living room and I was miced up in the Living room about 10 feet away from the sound source with XY config.  Should I try a different mic config.?  Before turining the UA5 on I went through the manual where is tells you what everything is for on the unit and as I went though all of the features, buttons and nobs I would set them up as I read about them.  Something still has to be up here.  Should I have to crank it up under the conditions that I described?  Should I just back up and work it with the MD for a while to get used to the unitand then go to using the laptop/MD combination?  I am not ready to take the lappy into the field anyway because I need a battery and software that are applicable for field recording.  How high do you guys have to have the sensitivity turned up on your UA5's when recording a show versus the conditions that I described?  Will I experience a significant difference with respect to the mic sensitivity nobs when I record my first live show with this unit?  I appreciate all of the prompt help that you guys are giving me here!!!

Thanks
Cary

jessedscott

« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2005, 08:24:05 AM »
OK I am replying to bits and pieces of all of the posts directed at my inquiry.  I did have the Phantom Power turned on during the trials.  My sound source was my stereo cranked in my living room and I was miced up in the Living room about 10 feet away from the sound source with XY config.  Should I try a different mic config.?  Before turining the UA5 on I went through the manual where is tells you what everything is for on the unit and as I went though all of the features, buttons and nobs I would set them up as I read about them.  Something still has to be up here.  Should I have to crank it up under the conditions that I described?  Should I just back up and work it with the MD for a while to get used to the unitand then go to using the laptop/MD combination?  I am not ready to take the lappy into the field anyway because I need a battery and software that are applicable for field recording.  How high do you guys have to have the sensitivity turned up on your UA5's when recording a show versus the conditions that I described?  Will I experience a significant difference with respect to the mic sensitivity nobs when I record my first live show with this unit?  I appreciate all of the prompt help that you guys are giving me here!!!

Thanks
Cary

couple of things here. What is the sample rate turned to? With a MD you should have it set to 44.1. Are you doing manual or auto rec on the MD?Also, I'm not sure the MD will take a 48khz input, so you might want to check that. I would put your mics closer to the speakers, and YES you'll have to crank the gain knobs all the way up,depending on how loud your play back is. I run on Hi-z, and digital selected. You'll find that you won't have to crank them up all the way at a live show, for obvious reasons. Good luck! Happy taping!

Uncle Jesse...
« Last Edit: March 04, 2005, 08:25:48 AM by JDS »

hexyjones

« Reply #8 on: March 04, 2005, 08:43:54 AM »
You may find that your stereo is simply unable to approximate the SPLs of a live show...no matter how "loud" it may seem...

How about if you just talk into one of them...does it seem like you have to use an unusual amount of gain?

Offline DCDireWolf

• Taperssection Member
  • You ain't gonna learn what you don't wanna know
« Reply #9 on: March 04, 2005, 08:55:38 AM »
you won't get any significant levels from your home stereo.  clap your hands in front of the mics and see if you get a spike.
"It's pretty clear now that what looked like it might have been some kind of counterculture is, in reality, just the plain old chaos of undifferentiated weirdness."  -Jerry Garcia

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #10 on: March 04, 2005, 01:11:58 PM »
OK guys I am new to the forum and do not know how to quote like you guys do so I am responding again to all posts since my last response.  I am using the 44.1 sampling rate right now I am not trying to do anything fancy just trying to get the unit up and running.  I did clap my hands and noticed that there would be a spike in the levels when doing this and i was about 7-8 feet from the mics.  I also clapped during trying to record from the stereo and noticed that the claps caused the levels to spike way higher than the music coming from my stereo.  I have my MD set to manual recording volume because no matter what the level of the music the MD seem to keep the levels high in the auto record mode.  I am going to record some music soon with the C4>UA5>MD and see what happens.  I am going to try to mess with it somemore this evening and will let you guys know what I experience.  Thanks for all of the help here.  You guys rule.

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #11 on: March 04, 2005, 01:56:37 PM »
everything sounds normal then, i always do the old finger snap at each mic to make sure its getting signal :)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #12 on: March 04, 2005, 03:58:38 PM »
OK,I came home from work early today just to tinker with this thing.  I have hooked it up and I have learned the following:

In 44.1 hooked to the MD I conducted a snap/clap test to see what was what
When monitoring from the UA5 the levels were low to moderate when clapping/snapping from very short distances
When monitoring from the MD the levels were higher than through the UA5.  This was because the pre on the MD was turned on part way in manual mode.  Am I supposed to find a balance between the two preamps or should I turn the MD pre down low?

In 48KHz I hooked the UA5 up to the MD and Laptop both seperately and simultaneously. I am using Polderbits Sound Recorder as it recognizes 48KHz, but nothing higher.  I have Cakewalk Home Studio 2004, but have no idea how to use it or even if it would work here.  So in 48 I get a better siganl on the MD, because of the onboard pre I assume, than I do the Lappy.  By better signal I mean that I do not have to turn the mic sensitivity up as high.

Offline johnw

• Trade Count: (11)
    • My cd List
« Reply #13 on: March 04, 2005, 05:29:07 PM »
When I first got my UA5, I was very gun shy on the gain. You will need to have the knobs almost all the way up no matter what. People talked about how noisy the stock UA5 is, so I was pretty worried, but I haven't heard anything on any of my recordings. Just crank the gain until you get occasional blinking red light and you'll be ok. Or better yet, buy a SVU and calibrate it to your Ua5/mics.
Schoeps MK41 & MK4V  |  Schoeps CMC6, Schoeps KCY, AKI/2C, PFA, Nbox Cable/PFA  |  Grace V2, Nbox Platinum  |  SD744T, SD MixPre 6, Sony PCM M10

Canon 16-35mm/2.8L mkii, 24-70mm/2.8L, 70-200mm/2.8L IS, 50mm/1.8 mkii, 135mm/2L, 100mm/2.8L IS, Sigma 35mm/1.4 A  |  Canon 5D mk4

jessedscott

« Reply #14 on: March 04, 2005, 05:52:53 PM »
In 44.1 hooked to the MD I conducted a snap/clap test to see what was what
When monitoring from the UA5 the levels were low to moderate when clapping/snapping from very short distances
When monitoring from the MD the levels were higher than through the UA5.  This was because the pre on the MD was turned on part way in manual mode.  Am I supposed to find a balance between the two preamps or should I turn the MD pre down low?

are you listening through your head phones on the UA5? you won't really hear anything. use your MD headphone jack.

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #15 on: March 04, 2005, 09:02:22 PM »
OK one last question.  Can I record C4>UA5>lappy/MD at the same time using 48KHz?

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #16 on: March 04, 2005, 10:12:20 PM »
OK one last question. Can I record C4>UA5>lappy/MD at the same time using 48KHz?

Does your MD support 48kHz?
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #17 on: March 05, 2005, 02:14:11 AM »
Yes!

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #18 on: March 05, 2005, 10:15:01 AM »
OK one last question.  Can I record C4>UA5>lappy/MD at the same time using 48KHz?

Yes you can.  You should be able to use all available outputs at the same time.

Offline BJ

• been around the world and found that only stupid people are breeding the cretins cloning and feeding
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • They're baaack! ??
« Reply #19 on: March 05, 2005, 11:18:50 AM »
did you get everything figured out?  what part of oklahoma(i am guessing from your name) are you in??  if you are fairly close we could hook up and I can look over what you are doing...my UA5 runs great....i would also like to compare the c4's to my akg's....  Do you plan on hitting umphrees at months end in tulsa?  Green lemon is opening....
Auditory
Intake  waves -> 0/1's -> waves
it's magic 

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #20 on: March 05, 2005, 03:52:10 PM »
I am from Norman.  I have been to YMSB and Keller Williams at the Cain's.  Will umphrees be at the Cain's?  I am going to try to catch DTB and Steve Kimmock and friends.  I am going to check the umphrees date out and see if it is a go or not.  Thank you guys for the help.  I think that I have everything in order and I am hopefully going to try it out tonite and I will definately be posting here with questions once I get back from recording tonite if I get to go.

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #21 on: March 06, 2005, 05:23:37 PM »
I recorded a two man group last night and I learned a lot about this unit.  I guess there is something to be said about learning through application.  My MD recorder does not support more than 44.1, unless I assume you are using the optical cable which I was not and I found that the MD would not accept the 48 signal I was feeding into it.  I do not have the optical for my MD.  Where can I buy one of these cables?  Will this cable make the MD compatible with the 48 signal?  Everything went well otherwise as I was using my lappy to record the band and I was able to record using my mics and a feed from the soundboard at the same time.  When I do this should I have the SBD higher and the mic feed lower or the other way around?  Man this UA5 is one cool machine and I really appreciate all of the helpful information that you guys have provided me.  Thanks a bunch!

Cary

hexyjones

« Reply #22 on: March 06, 2005, 05:28:08 PM »
I recorded a two man group last night and I learned a lot about this unit.  I guess there is something to be said about learning through application.  My MD recorder does not support more than 44.1, unless I assume you are using the optical cable which I was not and I found that the MD would not accept the 48 signal I was feeding into it.  I do not have the optical for my MD.  Where can I buy one of these cables?  Will this cable make the MD compatible with the 48 signal?  Everything went well otherwise as I was using my lappy to record the band and I was able to record using my mics and a feed from the soundboard at the same time.  When I do this should I have the SBD higher and the mic feed lower or the other way around?  Man this UA5 is one cool machine and I really appreciate all of the helpful information that you guys have provided me.  Thanks a bunch!

Cary

It sounds like you are feeding the MD an analog signal?...so its not a "48" signal...its just a plain analog signal that should go into your MD line in...you should be able to record it no problem...without regard to sample rate...

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #23 on: March 06, 2005, 06:38:30 PM »
So since the UA5 was set to 48 and I was sending an analog signal to the MD through the RCA out on the UA5.  Would this cause the signal going to the MD to be messed up.  It was constant static when I monitored from the MD.  I tried both auto record and manual record and there was static present both ways.  I tried this at home and there was no static when feeding a 48 signal to the MD at home.  It is a little confusing to me right now, but I am sure that I will figure it all out in time when I get more time in the field with the UA5.

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #24 on: March 06, 2005, 08:18:15 PM »
Sounds like you're having some success!  If your MD can accept an optical-in that would give you the best results.  You'll be making use of the UA-5's preamp and A/D converter.  Both will be a higher quality than a portable MD, DAT, or JB3's pre and A/D.   I think a lot of people are using a Sound Professionals optical cable with right angle connectors on it.  It has a toslink connector on one side for your UA-5 and a 1/8" mini on the other side for your MD.  I would also record at 44.1khz if you are going to go to your MD optically.  I'm not sure what the MD does with a 48khz signal but it probably resamples it to 44.1khz.  If you send the MD an analog signal from the UA-5 (it sounds like you used your UA-5's line out) it shouldn't matter what the sample  rate on the UA-5 is set to.  Sample rate is an A/D conversion thing.

Here's a link to the SP's optical cable.
http://www.soundprofessionals.com/cgi-bin/gold/category.cgi?category=220&item=SP-TMOC-RA&type=store

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #25 on: March 07, 2005, 07:22:09 PM »
My MD has an optical in on it.  Would it not be better to use this than the 1/8" mic in?  I just though that it would be better to maintain the digital signal rather than having the cable convert optical to analog.  DO I even know what I am talking about here?

Cary

Offline Brian Skalinder

• Complaint Dept.
  • Trade Count: (28)
« Reply #26 on: March 07, 2005, 07:24:06 PM »
My MD has an optical in on it. Would it not be better to use this than the 1/8" mic in?

If you're able to run UA5 optical-out > MD optical-in, you're definitely better off than UA5 analog-out > MD 1/8" mic-in.
Milab VM-44 Links > Fostex FR-2LE or
Naiant IPA (tinybox format) >
Roland R-05

Offline rodeen

• Taperssection All-Star
  • Harmonica Man!
« Reply #27 on: March 07, 2005, 08:57:56 PM »
My MD has an optical in on it.  Would it not be better to use this than the 1/8" mic in?  I just though that it would be better to maintain the digital signal rather than having the cable convert optical to analog.  DO I even know what I am talking about here?

Defintely go optical in all the way. I assumed your used the same jack for optical in, line in, and mic in.  That's what I meant by getting an optical cable with a mini connector on one side for your MD. 

Offline okietaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2005, 08:05:18 PM »
Thank you guys for all of the information.  It has been very helpful in learning how to get the UA5 out of my living room and into the field.  I appreciate you guys.

Offline Patrick

• Evil Urges, Baby.
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2005, 08:47:30 PM »
everything sounds normal then, i always do the old finger snap at each mic to make sure its getting signal :)

It never fails...

unless you have omnis!
Monitor Engineer: Band of Horses, Cage the Elephant, Bruce Hornsby, The Head and the Heart, Josh Ritter

Live Music Archive Bookmarks

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.13 seconds with 58 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com