Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Questions about the DIY Digimod UA-5  (Read 2099 times)

Offline phishin024

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
Questions about the DIY Digimod UA-5
« on: February 17, 2006, 07:59:24 PM »
So I just got a stock UA-5 today from Ebay for $150. Of course it needs the Digimod and I feel very comfortable doing it myself. What seems to be the better way to go about this? Cutting the copper trace or removing the R8 resistor, and if I understand the directions correctly the jump wire would need to be installed for either method. Also after performing the mod you can still record to a PC, Right? Thanks for any input! :-\

Offline terrapinj

• Jonesin' for Tunes
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Questions about the DIY Digimod UA-5
« Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 06:16:49 PM »
it seems to be personal preference. some people say its easier to remove the resistor, some say cut the trace. I have personally cut the trace each time using a fresh razor blade / box cutter but that doesn't mean its the best way. both will accomplish the same task. some say removing the resistor allows you to reattach it if the need be to undo the mod, but i haven't heard of anyone ever undoing the digi-mod or needing to for that matter.

you can still record to PC, but you can no longer play music from your PC through the UA-5. once you are done you should have some sort of device on hand that can accept a digital signal aside from a PC to test out that the mod worked. i also recommend having someone else present when you do the mod to help hold that little jumper wire in place while you solder.
JW mod AKG 460b (ck61/ck63 or mk46/ck1x/ck3x)>  EAA PSP-2 > 722

Segue Dogstar XLRs and Interconnects

ISO: (2) ck2x

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #2 on: February 18, 2006, 06:44:58 PM »
I cut mine as well. My reasoning was it would be alot easier to reverse later if I wanted to do that.  I also want to just add a switch so I can turn it on or off, if the resistor is gone you cant do that.
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline phishin024

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 11:10:52 PM »
Just finished the digimod and it worked! It was alot harder than I thought, very small solder points. It took a few tries, but it's passing a digital signal w/o using a laptop. Thanks for the input 8)

Offline bluegrass_brad

• Trade Count: (16)
  • Old and in the way.
« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 12:15:50 AM »
Good Work. +T
CK1x, CK2x, CK3x > Hub Industry Cables > Naiant PFA or MK46 > 460B
CK1, CK8, CK63 > 460b

"That was back in a time when society was not quite ready for this music. Anyone remember those days? That's when punk rock was dangerous, right?" - Mike Ness

Offline poorlyconditioned

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • I'm a tapir!
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 01:43:05 AM »
Just finished the digimod and it worked! It was alot harder than I thought, very small solder points. It took a few tries, but it's passing a digital signal w/o using a laptop. Thanks for the input 8)

+T for gear hacking but not gear breaking!

Richard
Mics: Sennheiser MKE2002 (dummy head), Studio Projects C4, AT825 (unmodded), AT822 franken mic (x2), AT853(hc,c,sc,o), Senn. MKE2, Senn MKE40, Shure MX183/5, CA Cards, homebrew Panasonic and Transsound capsules.
Pre/ADC: Presonus Firepod & Firebox, DMIC20(x2), UA5(poorly-modded, AD8620+AD8512opamps), VX440
Recorders: Edirol R4, R09, IBM X24 laptop, NJB3(x2), HiMD(x2), MD(1).
** This individual has moved to user "illconditioned" **

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.069 seconds with 35 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com