Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)  (Read 95381 times)

Offline voltronic

• Trade Count: (40)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Tascam DR-70D 4-channel audio recorder (Part 8)
« Reply #120 on: July 05, 2017, 06:35:29 PM »
So how do you pause / stop the recording during a setbreak ?

Where is the stop button mentioned within the main menu options ?

The record button toggles start / stop of recording.  There technically is a stop button, but it shares double-duty with the Channel 1 button, and I think it's only used during playback mode.

Does it need to be plugged in to power up ?

Not if you're using the internal AA batteries.   :) But I strongly recommend using a external USB battery like many of us do.  In that case, you'd turn on your USB battery, then power on the 70D.  It will detect that USB is connected, at which point you select BUS POWER with the DATA knob.  If the USB logo is on the screen, you know you're running off of the external power and you're good to go.

Going to try my new unit picked uo in the yard sale this weekend. Eventually I would like to run CA-14 in the input for ch 1 and 2, which internal setting would I choose there ?

BASIC
RECORD: ON
PAN: LEFT 12
GAIN: LOW (unless you're recording quiet things and/or far away, in which case go with MID)
INPUT 1/2: EXT_STEREO (This is the mini plug input on the left, which will take the output from your battery box powering the CA-14s.)

Repeat the above settings for CH2, except PAN would be RIGHT 12

RECORD
FILE TYPE: STEREO
FORMAT: BWF 24bit
SAMPLE: 48 kHz

Everything else should be left at default settings.
I am hitting my head against the walls, but the walls are giving way.
- Gustav Mahler

Acoustic Recording Techniques
Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #121 on: July 05, 2017, 07:26:18 PM »
If you are using anything except phantom powered microphones, make sure you turn off phantom before plugging anything into the xlr inputs.

Read this:  http://tascam.com/content/downloads/products/867/e_dr-70d_rm_vb.pdf
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #122 on: July 05, 2017, 07:35:46 PM »
Cool, thx Guys! I did review a lot of the FAQ and discussion in the previous 8 threads. Appreciate your prompt feedback.
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #123 on: July 05, 2017, 07:42:32 PM »
So how do you pause / stop the recording during a setbreak ?

Where is the stop button mentioned within the main menu options ?

The record button toggles start / stop of recording.  There technically is a stop button, but it shares double-duty with the Channel 1 button, and I think it's only used during playback mode.

Does it need to be plugged in to power up ?

Not if you're using the internal AA batteries.   :) But I strongly recommend using a external USB battery like many of us do.  In that case, you'd turn on your USB battery, then power on the 70D.  It will detect that USB is connected, at which point you select BUS POWER with the DATA knob.  If the USB logo is on the screen, you know you're running off of the external power and you're good to go.

Going to try my new unit picked uo in the yard sale this weekend. Eventually I would like to run CA-14 in the input for ch 1 and 2, which internal setting would I choose there ?

BASIC
RECORD: ON
PAN: LEFT 12
GAIN: LOW (unless you're recording quiet things and/or far away, in which case go with MID)
INPUT 1/2: EXT_STEREO (This is the mini plug input on the left, which will take the output from your battery box powering the CA-14s.)

Repeat the above settings for CH2, except PAN would be RIGHT 12

RECORD
FILE TYPE: STEREO
FORMAT: BWF 24bit
SAMPLE: 48 kHz

Everything else should be left at default settings.

Why BWF and not WAV?

Offline voltronic

« Reply #124 on: July 05, 2017, 09:07:58 PM »
Why BWF and not WAV?

They're both WAV files from an audio-only standpoint, but BWF is the standard format for DAWs and professional recorders.  It contains a metadata chunk in the file header where you can embed time coding and other useful information.  As soon as Tascam added BWF in a firmware update, I switched to that format.  While I haven't needed to use things like Start Offsets which BWF allows, the metadata makes moving your recordings between recording / editing systems for a variety of reasons.  There's no reason to not use it.

http://www.audiorecording.me/what-is-broadcast-wave-format-bwf-how-to-use-it-in-your-daw.html
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Broadcast_Wave_Format
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline ts

• Trade Count: (81)
« Reply #125 on: July 05, 2017, 09:09:49 PM »
Why BWF and not WAV?

They're both WAV files from an audio-only standpoint, but BWF is the standard format for DAWs and professional recorders.  It contains a metadata chunk in the file header where you can embed time coding and other useful information.  As soon as Tascam added BWF in a firmware update, I switched to that format.  While I haven't needed to use things like Start Offsets which BWF allows, the metadata makes moving your recordings between recording / editing systems for a variety of reasons.  There's no reason to not use it.

http://www.audiorecording.me/what-is-broadcast-wave-format-bwf-how-to-use-it-in-your-daw.html

Sorry, I always thought it was just for video editing.

Offline voltronic

« Reply #126 on: July 06, 2017, 08:50:36 AM »
Why BWF and not WAV?

Sorry, I always thought it was just for video editing.

Well you would probably want to use BWF in a video editing situation because of the time coding capability, but it is useful in audio-only applications as well.
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #127 on: July 06, 2017, 02:34:02 PM »
I just switched my DR-70D over to BWF and made a quick test recording, and the only difference in statistics that is shown when I use SHNTOOL INFO in xACT is that the header size is now 688 bytes (was 44 bytes) and the header now flags as Non-Canonical.

Code: [Select]
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
File name:                    /Volumes/DR-70D/MUSIC/170706_0215S12.wav
Handled by:                   wav format module
Length:                       0:07.416
WAVE format:                  0x0001 (Microsoft PCM)
Channels:                     2
Bits/sample:                  24
Samples/sec:                  48000
Average bytes/sec:            288000
Rate (calculated):            288000
Block align:                  6
Header size:                  688 bytes
Data size:                    2135808 bytes
Chunk size:                   2136488 bytes
Total size (chunk size + 8):  2136496 bytes
Actual file size:             2136496
File is compressed:           no
Compression ratio:            1.0000
CD-quality properties:
  CD quality:                 no
  Cut on sector boundary:     n/a
  Sector misalignment:        n/a
  Long enough to be burned:   n/a
WAVE properties:
  Non-canonical header:       yes
  Extra RIFF chunks:          no
Possible problems:
  File contains ID3v2 tag:    no
  Data chunk block-aligned:   yes
  Inconsistent header:        no
  File probably truncated:    no
  Junk appended to file:      no
  Odd data size has pad byte: n/a
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline lsd2525

• Trade Count: (18)
  • Eschew obfuscation
« Reply #128 on: July 06, 2017, 09:39:59 PM »
Hey I just posted this in the post forum but wondering if this might be 70 specific????

http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=182787.0
Mics: SKM184's; ADK A51s; AT4041; Superlux S502; CK91 active w/homebrew BB; AT853; Naiant X-X; Nak 300's
Recorders: M10; DR-60D; DR-701D

Offline Papaphunk

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #129 on: July 09, 2017, 09:45:05 AM »
My first recording of a local cover band from last night turned out pretty nice using my new 70D Recorder. way more complex than my TASCAM 100DR-100mkII but I think I am getting a feel for it.

https://archive.org/details/TheMightyManatees2017-07-08.RodeM5.Flac16

Just curious, and I know this is not recommended...but what would I adjust in Menu settings if I wanted to capture both set of mic's into 1 recording file ? Maybe I missed that in the instruction Manual. thx all.
AKG CK-61 / CK-62 / CK-63  > AKG c480b / c460b Bodies
ZOOM H6 - TASCAM DR-100MKII & III

1500+ Recordings Uploaded to Archive: https://archive.org/details/@papaphunk

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #130 on: July 09, 2017, 01:10:25 PM »
My first recording of a local cover band from last night turned out pretty nice using my new 70D Recorder. way more complex than my TASCAM 100DR-100mkII but I think I am getting a feel for it.

Just curious, and I know this is not recommended...but what would I adjust in Menu settings if I wanted to capture both set of mic's into 1 recording file ? Maybe I missed that in the instruction Manual. thx all.

See p. 18 of the manual.

But, it's a much much much better idea to combine multiple tracks in post.

I use reaper for this.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline voltronic

« Reply #131 on: July 09, 2017, 01:27:30 PM »

See p. 18 of the manual.

But, it's a much much much better idea to combine multiple tracks in post.

I use reaper for this.

The manual is confusing, and the menu system equally so.  Check out the 70D FAQ (see my signature) for a quick menu reference.  I made it for myself as much as I did for everyone else, because I kept selecting the wrong menu tree to do what I needed.

Just to clarify so you're getting what you want - what Noah is talking about is that you can set the 70D to 2MIX mode where it records a stereo down mix of all armed channels.  I strongly advise against doing this, as you cannot alter the mix later.

What you may instead have been thinking of are polyphonic WAV files.  In that case, you have one file container but actually contains 2, 4, 6, 8 etc. tracks inside it that can be separately manipulated in post, and extracted to separate files if you so desire.  The new SD MixPre series writes these kinds of files, but 70D cannot do this - it only writes mono or stereo WAVs.

Long story short, if you're using stereo pairs, the best thing is to just set the record format to Stereo.  It will write two stereo WAV files if you're recording 4 tracks.  Drag the resulting files into your DAW together at the same point, and you're good to go.

Emphatic +1 on Reaper. :coolguy:
- Gustav Mahler

Team Classical
Team Line Audio
Team DPA

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #132 on: July 21, 2017, 09:45:51 PM »
Question for you all.
I'm considering using the DR-70 Line out instead of my usual DR-60 Line out to stream (audio only) at an upcoming two day festival (a mix of funk, jamgrass, americana etc.). With the DR-60 I was able to control the Line Out output gain, but with the DR-70 I have no such option, other than the -102/+12db Output Level settings with the Output Gain set to Line.

I'm reasonably confident I can make up for any gain with the Adobe FMLE software I use to stream.  Is there any other considerations I should have with regard to the output of the DR-70?

I'll be running 4 channels into the recorder, two soundboard, two mics.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
« Reply #133 on: July 22, 2017, 01:58:06 AM »
Yeah, big time. Off the top of my head, I think you need to set the delay on the SBD channels so it arrives JUST before the mics, otherwise your on-the-spot four channel mix will have significant time smear!

Myself, I use a Mac widget called Sound Reference to calculate delay based on speed of sound under various conditions.

Is there any other considerations I should have with regard to the output of the DR-70?

https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline billydee

• Trade Count: (19)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #134 on: July 22, 2017, 10:07:22 AM »
Yeah, big time. Off the top of my head, I think you need to set the delay on the SBD channels so it arrives JUST before the mics, otherwise your on-the-spot four channel mix will have significant time smear!

Myself, I use a Mac widget called Sound Reference to calculate delay based on speed of sound under various conditions.

Is there any other considerations I should have with regard to the output of the DR-70?

I should have mentioned that, but I'll have the delay on the soundboard channels set based on distance to the PA. I've done this gig a few times and have that part nailed down pretty good and I'm told the streams sound great. But thanks for mentioning that!
I'm just a little worried using a different recorder this time.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.085 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com