Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Which Schoeps would be good for me?  (Read 5178 times)

stevetoney

• Trade Count: (0)
Re: Which Schoeps would be good for me?
« Reply #15 on: August 14, 2016, 06:46:20 PM »

So all other things being equal, if I knew that for some reason I couldn't place my microphones in free space but would need to place them close to ... something, I would lean toward cardioids rather than supercardioids,

So the takeaway is that just like some people are tall and others are short, one would need to contemplate their own place in the continuum between space/nothing and dense/solid when choosing the proper capsule.   ;)

Offline nolamule

• Trade Count: (22)
  • Taperssection Member
  • where's my mule?
« Reply #16 on: August 14, 2016, 09:05:47 PM »
Great thread gents, answering many questions that have been bouncing around in my skull.  :cheers:

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #17 on: August 14, 2016, 10:01:05 PM »
I have the mk4v, mk41v, mk22, and mk3 pairs. I will prefer the hyper or the sub in certain situations, but the 4v tape is always just fine. If I had to have only one set of capsules it would be between the mk22 and the mk4v.

In a hat, its obvious, the mk4v.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

Offline F.O.Bean

• Team Schoeps Tapir that
  • Trade Count: (126)
  • Taperus Maximus
    • MediaFire Recordings
« Reply #18 on: August 14, 2016, 11:20:17 PM »
MK4 for sure! Most widely used cap IMO! I don't care for the V series caps as much as the regular front-address caps! As always, YMMV ;) That said, the V series ARE easier to ste&lth ;)
Schoeps MK 4V & MK 41V ->
Schoeps 250|0 KCY's (x2) ->
Naiant +60v|Low Noise PFA's (x2) ->
DarkTrain Right Angle Stubby XLR's (x3) ->
Sound Devices MixPre-6 & MixPre-3

http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/diskobean
http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/Bean420
http://bt.etree.org/mytorrents.php
http://www.mediafire.com/folder/j9eu80jpuaubz/Recordings

Offline Jhurlbs81

• Trade Count: (20)
    • My LMA collection
« Reply #19 on: August 15, 2016, 07:43:10 AM »
for a hat is a club, mk4v all day.
FREE JERRYFREAK!

Offline firusan

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #20 on: August 15, 2016, 10:48:05 AM »
Great thread gents, answering many questions that have been bouncing around in my skull.  :cheers:

Yes - lots of good info. Thanks everyone for helping me out. It looks like the general consensus is in agreement with the friend who also recommended the MK4Vs, so it looks like that will be the way I go. It will take a bit of time to get everything purchased and set up, but I will try and post something here once I have given the gear a test run. This is the first time I've taken advantage of the forums here and it was really helpful.

Offline swordfish

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #21 on: August 15, 2016, 02:23:03 PM »

Yes - lots of good info. Thanks everyone for helping me out. It looks like the general consensus is in agreement with the friend who also recommended the MK4Vs, so it looks like that will be the way I go. It will take a bit of time to get everything purchased and set up, but I will try and post something here once I have given the gear a test run. This is the first time I've taken advantage of the forums here and it was really helpful.
Almsot the same topic

I am also saving up money for a MK4 or 4V...I use a MK41 at the moment for open taping and I also in smaller clubs, therefore I would like to get the additional mic.... Stack recordings sound better with an cardoid mic instead of an hyper at least in my humble opinion

Before I pull the trigger(and this will take a few additional month)..I would like to get detailed infromation how to "set up/install" the MK4V..since the cap is longer than the MK41...  A picture of a setup will make my day...hope to reveive a PM's!

Or would the MK5 be the best solution?

Note: I have 2 Nob  cables, a side out and a regular for open taping tape Jazz, Rock, Bluesrock etc but nothing real loud.

Offline todd e

• Trade Count: (3)
  • ***Team Schoeps***
« Reply #22 on: August 18, 2016, 09:11:30 AM »
most times i run the mk41, i regret not manning up and running the 4s or the 21s.  hypers are just the 'safe' capsule, but hardly needed when there are 20 sets of mics....

Offline noahbickart

• phishrabbi
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (33)
  • So now I wander over grounds of light...
« Reply #23 on: August 18, 2016, 10:43:17 AM »
I always run the mk22, as its usually the tape I prefer.
Recording:
Capsules: Schoeps mk41v (x2), mk22 (x2), mk3 (x2), mk21 & mk8
Cables: 2x nbob KCY, 1 pair nbob actives, GAKables 10' & 20' 6-channel snakes, Darktrain 2 & 4 channel KCY and mini xlr extensions:
Preamps:    Schoeps VMS 02iub, Naiant IPA, Sound Devices Mixpre6 I
Recorders: Sound Devices Mixpre6 I, Sony PCM m10

Home Playback: Mac Mini> Mytek Brooklyn+> McIntosh MC162> Eminent Tech LFT-16; Musical Fidelity xCan v2> Hifiman HE-4XX / Beyerdynamic DT880

Office Playback: iMac> Grace m903> AKG k701 / Hifiman HE-400

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.066 seconds with 38 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com