Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Edirol R-09 input woes  (Read 113657 times)

Offline laptaper

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
Edirol R-09 input woes
« on: September 01, 2006, 03:32:46 PM »
I'm about to return my Edirol R-09 for the second and last time after having had the input jack come loose with little or no stress.  Has anyone else had this problem, or do I just not know how to take care of my equipment?  Someone up at Gathering of the Vibes had the exact problem, and the custromer service rep I spoke with at Sweetwater said they'd been getting a lot of returns with the same problem.

Offline Zaphod

• Taperssection All-Star
Re: Edirol R-09 input woes
« Reply #1 on: September 01, 2006, 03:37:39 PM »
Specifically what input jack (mic, line)?
we are the people the rescuers will never find

Offline tonyvt

• Taperssection Member
  • Bocephus
« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2006, 03:58:14 PM »

So far so good with mine. I have used it on about 10 different dates and connect via a lightweight Radio Shack RCA to Mini cable.

What type of cable have you been using?
I'm a Bluegrasshole.

Offline laptaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2006, 05:17:48 PM »
Line input, and standard Radio Shack RCA to mini line.  I even went so far as to put it in a clear plastic container with a ventilated lid and holes drilled for the input and output lines, with both lines taped to the outside so the container, not the unit, would take the stress of any unexpected tugs.  Still fritzed out on me, though.

Offline hyperplane

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2006, 05:36:51 PM »
I had this exact problem with the first R-09 I got from Sound Pros.

Unfortunately, I didn't get a chance to test out my R-09 until after it had already been over 30 days (due to getting repeatedly bad 2GB SD cards from an ebay seller, and the fact that no SD card came with the original R-09, I had no reason to plug mics into it if I couldn't even test out the recorder at home). So, at my first outting with it, the very first time I plugged my battery box into the R-09, the Line Input jack broke completely. It was picking up a signal (or so it appeared), but it was obviously not very usable in that condition.

Again, since I was over the 30-day warranty thing from the dealer (it was technically like 36 days), I had to go through Roland, and it was a nightmare from start to finish. (Which has made me contemplate never getting Roland products again... it should not be such a hassle to get a product that's still under warranty to be repaired/replaced).  They did, however, end up sending me a new unit after a ton of time spent on the phone arguing with them. I tried the input jacks on the replacement unit, and it seems to be much better.

FWIW, the original R-09 that I got had firmware version 1.02, and as I said, it did not even come with the crappy 64 MB SD card.  However, the replacement R-09 had firmware version 1.03 and came with a crappy 64 MB SD card. The newer R-09 also had specific instructions (with pictures) warning the user to use "CAUTION" when opening the (shoddy designed) battery door.

Overall, I do like the R-09 but I have to admit that I am concerned that the next time I plug mics into it, the Input jack will break. This should not be the case... I mean, come on, you can get a crappy walkman at WalMart and its input jack can take normal usage with flying colors... yet the $399 recorder by Roland flunked out on the first time when plugging something into its jack.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2006, 06:34:26 PM by hyperplane »

Offline laptaper

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2006, 06:08:23 PM »
On the issue of retailers, I have to (once again) highly recommend Sweetwater.  They have bent into pretzel shapes helping me out with returns and replacements.  Their prices are also very reasonable.  They are very hands on and will go to the ends of the earth to help you with whatever you need.  If you end up with Paddy Steading as your sales rep, you are in very good hands indeed.

Offline joekar

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2006, 07:18:41 PM »
I just checked mine and they seem find.....Thank you for the heads up....I'll keep an eye on them...
Peace,
jk
Roman Moroni: I would like to direct this to the distinguished members of the panel: You lousy corksuckers. You have violated my farging rights. Dis somanumbatching country was founded so that the liberties of common patriotic citizens like me could not be taken away by a bunch of fargin iceholes... like yourselves.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2006, 11:37:18 PM »
Do you think you just got lemons?  I would think this issue would be reported in these forums already if it was widespread?.

Offline guysonic

• Taperssection All-Star
  • WISDOM FOR ALL TIMES
    • Sonic Studios DSM Stereo-Surround Microphone Systems
« Reply #8 on: September 02, 2006, 01:18:35 AM »
Line input, and standard Radio Shack RCA to mini line.  I even went so far as to put it in a clear plastic container with a ventilated lid and holes drilled for the input and output lines, with both lines taped to the outside so the container, not the unit, would take the stress of any unexpected tugs.  Still fritzed out on me, though.

While your experience with such early jack failure is suspect as caused by less than good jack-to-PCB board solder weld that failed, using ANY type of straight plug, even with carefully securing the cords, still allows a strong force on the plug's cord strain relief to torque hard sideways and maybe tweak the jack to early wearout. 

Suggest ONLY using low profile molded right angle plug with NO hard plastic sticking out( as shown below).  This eliminates chance of significant side torgue applied to the jack when handling or pocketing the deck, and even if unintentionally pushing against the plug's molded plastic, the side torgue possible is greatly reduced over straight plugs and overly large extended molded right/angle types, and therefore not likely to damage the jack.

"mics? I no got no mics!  Besides, I no have to show you no stink'n mics!" stxxlth taper's disclaimer

DSM HRTF STEREO-SURROUND RECORDING SYSTEMS WEBSITE: http://www.sonicstudios.com

Offline china_rider

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • The center of the universe is not on this earth...
    • AZTapers
« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2006, 02:22:12 AM »
Hmmm... that setup looks familliar... Only used 3 times.. but have had no problems.
(#1) AKG C480b CK61,CK62,CK63,CK69 -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#2) BMod ADK A51TL -> Silverpath XLRs -> BMod R-4
(#3) Sonic Studios DSM6SM -> Sonic Studios PA-3SX -> R-09

Offline it-goes-to-eleven

• Trade Count: (58)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2006, 08:53:07 AM »
Suggest ONLY using low profile molded right angle plug with NO hard plastic sticking out( as shown below).  This eliminates chance of significant side torgue applied to the jack when handling or pocketing the deck, and even if unintentionally pushing against the plug's molded plastic, the side torgue possible is greatly reduced over straight plugs and overly large extended molded right/angle types, and therefore not likely to damage the jack.

Just to amplify on that..  Many right angle plugs will put just as much strain on the socket as straight plugs..  Especially if they get wedged in a pocket.  But that's not true of ALL right angle plugs but is true of many.  I know Guy makes some of his own plugs and is obviously aware of these issues.

I recently mentioned in another 4061 connector thread that I really like the tiny molded right angle 1/8" plugs that SP uses on their bboxes (I think they're audio technica pigtails).  Unfortunately you can't solder those, they must be spliced and that isn't ideal.

If my r09 inputs failed I'm not sure if I'd send it back or fix it myself.  If fixing it, I might  just solder in a short pigtail with a female socket. That would forever eliminate any socket strain issues at the r09.

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2006, 08:01:56 PM »

Interesting. Looks like I will have to be very careful with the jacks..

Just to amplify on that..  Many right angle plugs will put just as much strain on the socket as straight plugs..  Especially if they get wedged in a pocket.  But that's not true of ALL right angle plugs but is true of many.  I know Guy makes some of his own plugs and is obviously aware of these issues.

I recently mentioned in another 4061 connector thread that I really like the tiny molded right angle 1/8" plugs that SP uses on their bboxes (I think they're audio technica pigtails).  Unfortunately you can't solder those, they must be spliced and that isn't ideal.

If my r09 inputs failed I'm not sure if I'd send it back or fix it myself.  If fixing it, I might  just solder in a short pigtail with a female socket. That would forever eliminate any socket strain issues at the r09.

Offline pelusa

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #12 on: September 10, 2006, 09:19:02 PM »
I bought the Edirol 09 in July, and because I was on vacation I didn't get to try it out with my audio tech AT815a shotgun mic until today.  I didn't do any recording on vacation.  The mic input jack lasted 1 hour, and I treated it carefully, using exactly the same plug I used for bird recording on cassette recorders.  The mic works fine with my old equipment so it has to be the jack. 

Maybe this is a dumb question, but can I record through the input jack?

Any hints on how to get this to work, the mic jack, or am I SOL.

>:( >:(

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #13 on: September 10, 2006, 09:26:29 PM »
I bought the Edirol 09 in July, and because I was on vacation I didn't get to try it out with my audio tech AT815a shotgun mic until today.  I didn't do any recording on vacation.  The mic input jack lasted 1 hour, and I treated it carefully, using exactly the same plug I used for bird recording on cassette recorders.  The mic works fine with my old equipment so it has to be the jack. 

Maybe this is a dumb question, but can I record through the input jack?

Any hints on how to get this to work, the mic jack, or am I SOL.

>:( >:(

You can record using input provided you have something from the mics converting the signal first to line level

Offline lbgspam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #14 on: September 10, 2006, 09:36:34 PM »
I just got mhy R-09
To test the mic input I assume best way would to shove a jack in and out of the input rapidly to see how it fares (before the 30 day return expires). :)?

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.082 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com