Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: AKG 480 vs. AKG 460 - A Comparison  (Read 21075 times)

Offline datbrad

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: AKG 480 vs. AKG 460 - The Definative Comparison
« Reply #15 on: October 03, 2009, 10:25:30 AM »
For a PA recording, outdoors with significantly dense windscreens that roll off the high end and negatively effect the frequency response of the mic I would imagine the sound would be similar.
It would be better to compare them on a grand piano, OH, or at least a 2 point stereo recording under better condition, i.e., indoors with accoustic music.

Thanks for all your work it was fun to listen.

Not quite sure of your point. Since both mics have the same windscreens on them, the test controls are identical, so any differences would not be negated by the screens, IMO.
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Beyer M201>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD561 (Oade CMOD)

Offline tgakidis

• Trade Count: (552)
    • My Recordings on the Archive:
« Reply #16 on: October 03, 2009, 10:43:45 AM »
In a perfect world there would be matched mics, controlled conditions, rubber gloves and hand sanitizer.

Given who we are and what we do this comp is a snap shot of a typical situation.  Of course it's not perfect and I may have over stepped my bounds with the title "definative".

Take it for what it's worth, it all about having fun.
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Pres: Sonosax SX-AD8+ / Sonosax SX-M2D2 / Sonosax SX-M2 / Lunatec V3
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline page

• Trade Count: (25)
  • #TeamRetired
« Reply #17 on: October 03, 2009, 10:50:42 AM »
In a perfect world there would be matched mics, controlled conditions, rubber gloves and hand sanitizer.

:clapping:

I think that statement can be applied to a lot of situations in life.  ;D
"This is a common practice we have on the bus; debating facts that we could easily find through printed material. It's like, how far is it today? I think it's four hours, and someone else comes in at 11 hours, and well, then we'll... just... talk about it..." - Jeb Puryear

"Nostalgia ain't what it used to be." - Jim Williams

Offline raymonda

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2009, 11:04:35 AM »
For a PA recording, outdoors with significantly dense windscreens that roll off the high end and negatively effect the frequency response of the mic I would imagine the sound would be similar.
It would be better to compare them on a grand piano, OH, or at least a 2 point stereo recording under better condition, i.e., indoors with accoustic music.

Not quite sure of your point. Since both mics have the same windscreens on them, the test controls are identical, so any differences would not be negated by the screens, IMO.

As an extreme point, do you think that you would get an accurate picture of what a mic sounded like, or two mics sound like, when a pillow is placed over them? Now, of course, this is certainly not that extreme but significant none the less. I don't think this shoot out can tell you anymore than what they sounded like under these, less than ideal, test conditions.

Don't get me wrong, I think this is great fun and extremely helpful for someone, and maybe many, planning on taping in only these types of conditions, but I wouldn't bet on it transfering to more ideal conditions.

I'm not trying to be a padant but honest.

Again, thanks for the hard work.  :)

« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:57:46 AM by raymonda »

Offline tgakidis

« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2009, 11:27:18 AM »
I don't think this shoot out can tell you anymore than what they sounded like under these, less than ideal, test conditions.

BINGO!  This comp is exactly what they sounded like under these, less than ideal, test conditions.

Like I said, I did over step my bounds by using "definative" in my title.  Another thing to keep in mind is that there are MANY factors that can effect the test conditions.  But again, for who most of us on this board are (amatuer audio geeks) and what we do (record in less then ideal situations) this is a good representaion of what to expect.
« Last Edit: October 03, 2009, 11:32:29 AM by tgakidis »
GAKables: Custom XLR, Digi & Batt Cables http://taperssection.com/index.php?topic=133186.0

Mics: Schoeps CMC6 x 4, Schoeps CMC1K x 2 / Schoeps KC 5G x 2 / Schoeps MK4,MK41,MK21,MK22 x 2 / Austrian Audio OC818 Dual Set+ / Telefunken TF-11 x 2 / Telefunken ELA M 260 x 4 / Telefunken M960FS x 2 / TK60,TK61,TK62 x 2 / Telefunken M60,TK60 x 2 / AKG c426b / AKG c34 / nBob AKG Actives>PFA x 4 / CK61,CK63,CK8 x 2 / AT853 4.7k Mod (Card,Sub)
Recs: Sonosax SX-R4+ / Sound Devices MixPre-6ii / Marantz PMD-661 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F3

My Recordings: https://archive.org/search.php?query=taper%3A%28Gakidis%29&sort=-da

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
« Reply #20 on: October 03, 2009, 12:57:24 PM »
But again, for who most of us on this board are (amatuer audio geeks) and what we do (record in less then ideal situations) this is a good representaion of what to expect.
Yep.
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
« Reply #21 on: October 03, 2009, 07:18:27 PM »

I would be cool to hear a comparison on something like a jazz outfit, where you can get unamplified input from the drum kit.  That would reveal a naturalness and also lots of transients.

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline datbrad

« Reply #22 on: October 05, 2009, 08:55:46 AM »
I don't think this shoot out can tell you anymore than what they sounded like under these, less than ideal, test conditions.

BINGO!  This comp is exactly what they sounded like under these, less than ideal, test conditions.

Like I said, I did over step my bounds by using "definative" in my title.  Another thing to keep in mind is that there are MANY factors that can effect the test conditions.  But again, for who most of us on this board are (amatuer audio geeks) and what we do (record in less then ideal situations) this is a good representaion of what to expect.

This is exactly the type of comp that matters most to the tapers that tape primarily in the field, specifically concerts from a PA system.

A comp in a studio setting direct mic'ing instruments would tell me nothing about the recording situations I am mostly in, so this comp is great one for me personally.

Thanks Ted
AKG C460B w/CK61/CK63>Luminous Monarch XLRs>SD MP-1(x2)>Luminous Monarch XLRs>PMD661(Oade WMOD)

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #23 on: October 05, 2009, 07:46:28 PM »
"This is exactly the type of comp that matters most to the tapers that tape primarily in the field, specifically concerts from a PA system.

A comp in a studio setting direct mic'ing instruments would tell me nothing about the recording situations I am mostly in, so this comp is great one for me personally.

Thanks Ted
[/quote]

Ted,

I wasn't speaking of a studio. As a matter of fact I have never recorded in a studio but rather I always do live on location recordings.

My thoughts were that in a better venue, since most of us record inside, would be a better choice. Also, close micing would also tell us alot more about the differences. Many folks do simple multitrack, i.e., board and ambience and or 16-24 tracks. Regardless, seperate mics are often used on many of the instruments and often times you have a better choice of where you place your ambient mics. In these situations, and even with simple two track stereo recordings, the difference may well be evident.

I'm not sure I agree that everyone here records only under outdoor, windy conditions. If so, that certainly limits the recording season for all but the folks that live in the SE and S. Ca.

« Last Edit: October 06, 2009, 08:57:12 PM by raymonda »

Offline tgakidis

« Reply #24 on: October 06, 2009, 09:20:15 AM »
Ted,

I wasn't speaking of a studio. As a matter of fact I have never recorded in a studio but rather I always do live on location recordings.

My thoughts were that in a better venue, since most of us record inside, would be a better choice. Also, close micing would also tell us alot more about the differences. Many folks do simple multitrack, i.e., board and ambience and or 16-24 tracks. Regardless, seperate mics are often used on many of the instruments and often times you have a better choice of where you place your ambient mics. In these situations, and even with simple two track stereo recordings, the difference may well be evident.

I'm not sure I agree that everyone here records only under outdoor, windy conditions. If so, that certainly limits the recording season for all but the floks that live in the SE and S. Ca.

I surrender  :P

PS: That was Brad's response you quoted above, not mine.

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #25 on: October 06, 2009, 01:45:31 PM »

[/quote]

Ted,

Sorry about confusing you and Brad. I'm not sure what the surrender means but if you felt you were put on the defense my apologies. I do believe I thanked you a number of times for your work and commented on how it was fun. My intent was to make further comments regarding drawing further implications from this comparison. It was not meant to be personal.

Ray

Offline datbrad

« Reply #26 on: October 06, 2009, 03:27:13 PM »

Ted,

Sorry about confusing you and Brad. I'm not sure what the surrender means but if you felt you were put on the defense my apologies. I do believe I thanked you a number of times for your work and commented on how it was fun. My intent was to make further comments regarding drawing further implications from this comparison. It was not meant to be personal.

Ray
[/quote]

I would say he surrenders in trying to justify his comp, and deal with critics from the peanut gallery. If you want to make a comp a particular way differently than it was done by a member here, feel free to make the effort, and post your results. Nobody likes a "Monday morning QB".

Offline raymonda

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #27 on: October 06, 2009, 08:53:32 PM »
Ray
[/quote]

I would say he surrenders in trying to justify his comp, and deal with critics from the peanut gallery. If you want to make a comp a particular way differently than it was done by a member here, feel free to make the effort, and post your results. Nobody likes a "Monday morning QB".
[/quote]

So, when someone post a comparison no one is suppose to make any comments to further the discussion in a constructive manner. Sort of like my wife asking me if she looks fat in her dress, I guess.

Offline SmokinJoe

• Trade Count: (63)
  • "75 and sunny"... life is so much simpler.
    • uploads to archive.org
« Reply #28 on: October 06, 2009, 10:16:47 PM »
So, when someone post a comparison no one is suppose to make any comments to further the discussion in a constructive manner. Sort of like my wife asking me if she looks fat in her dress, I guess.

Yes, but whereas you wife will no longer perform sexual favors after you hurt her fealings, I'm not sure the same can be said of Ted.  :wink2:  (Sorry I couldn't resist).

Seriously though, the results do sound quite similar under those circumstances, it would be good to repeat under different circumstances...  maybe we can organize something like running dual V3's, stage lip for club d'Elf might bring it out in spades.
Mics: Schoeps MK4 & CMC5's / Gefell M200's & M210's / ADK-TL / DPA4061's
Pres: V3 / ST9100
Decks: Oade Concert Mod R4Pro / R09 / R05
Photo: Nikon D700's, 2.8 Zooms, and Zeiss primes
Playback: Raspberry Pi > Modi2 Uber > Magni2 > HD650

Offline newplanet7

• Hasn't heard a muddy 460/480 tape. EVER. Mike Hawk
  • Trade Count: (5)
  • The Place To Be...... Akustische u. Kino-Geräte
Re: AKG 480 vs. AKG 460 - A Comparison
« Reply #29 on: October 07, 2009, 05:51:17 AM »
maybe we can organize something like running dual V3's, stage lip for club d'Elf might bring it out in spades.
I like where you're going with this Joe.
  AND
This thread is full of quote fail.
Carry on.
« Last Edit: October 07, 2009, 05:55:03 AM by newplanet7 »
MILAB VM-44 Classic~> Silver T's~> Busman PMD660
News From Phish: Will tour as opening act for Widespread Panic for Summer
hahaha never happen, PHiSH is waaaaayyyy better the WSP

They both ain't got nothing on MMW... Money spent wisely if you ask me...

FYI, it is a kick ass recording of a bunch of pretend-a-hippies talking.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 4.813 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com