Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: need help to repair a CF memory card  (Read 4878 times)

Offline gorlando

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
need help to repair a CF memory card
« on: December 09, 2006, 09:46:10 AM »
I have a 8 GB CF card which I use  with my MT 24/96.
A few days ago I noticed, during a test with a new battery extender, that the MT was freezing after about 45 minutes. The recorded file was showing a duration of 00:00 and the MT was refusing to start another recording (media full message, even after pushing again the rec button).
I took out the CF card and put in a card reader connected to my PC, formatted it and tried again.
Again the same behavior.
I deleted again the file in my PC and then tried to re-fprmat the CF.
The PC said that was unable to format the CF. Needless to say, the MT was unable too.
CHKDSK G: /F showed the following message: "the type of the file system is RAW. CHKDSK is not available for RAW drives.
Now I am a bit lost. I want to recover my CF card (it costed me 300 $ !!), but I don't know what to do.
Anybody can help?
Thanks
Giovanni
Schoeps MK4's ORTF, MK41 & MK8 M-S, DPA 4060's,
Schoeps KCY, Naiant Tinybox II, Self-Made Battery Box for DPA's
Sony PCM-M10, Tascam DR-2D, M-Audio Microtrack II

dorrcoq

Re: need help to repair a CF memory card
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2006, 04:01:53 PM »
What brand is it?  Most of the big name brands have warranties on the cards.

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2006, 04:34:48 AM »
It is a Sandisk Extreme III.
iDo you think this cannot be recovered by software?
Giovanni

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: December 11, 2006, 12:02:25 PM »
I have tried with various repair softwares, but it seem not so easy.
Therefore I contacted the seller and it will be replaced under guarantee. I have to send it to the UK and it will take quite a while, but at least I'll not lose $300+!!!
I didn't think these CF modules are so fragile.
Anybody can advise on how to handle them properly? For example:
- can I format the module in the PC (as I did) or I have to do it strictly in the MT?
- If the MT freezes, can I force it to shut down or what else can I do?
- etc.

Giovanni

Offline Myco

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: December 11, 2006, 02:16:24 PM »
I've recently found out that wav files can't be larger than 2gb. I was recently recording a show with my HD-P2 @ 24/96 and the default to close a recording in order to not bump up against the 2 gb max file limit was 1.5 gb, @ 24/96 that equals around 45 mins. Does your deck automatically start a new file once the 1.5 gb limit gets hit? This may be why your deck/card froze, but I'm not positive. The HD-P2 will automatically start a new file at 1.5 gb unless you change the default to the 2gb file max size.
Microtech Gefell M200: M20/M21/M27 caps> Bumblebee MiAGi-II/Darktrain silver cable's/"Chuck" Belden cables> Aerco MP-2 or Busman modded DR-680 pre-amps> Darktrain cables & interconnects> Tascam DR-680 (Busman mod)
AT853's(card's/hyper's)>AT8533x>Aerco MP-2>Sony M10

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #5 on: December 12, 2006, 12:22:47 PM »
No, the deck froze after 45 minutes only (at 24/48), so very far away from the 2Gb limit.
The other change is that I upgraded the firmware to the 1.4.5 immediately before having problems. Could this be relevant?
Also, I was testing my new battery extender, so the MT was connected to it and showing CHG, indicative that the power was coming from the external battery pack. Could this be relevant?
I am now sending back the memory and will get a replacement (hopefully) soon. However I now realize these CF cards are eventually very delicate ans dould like to handle it carefully.
I thought that formatting it in the PC was better, but maybe it is not and I have to strictly do it in the MT.
Moreover, if and when it freezes again, am I going to just power it off or do I have to do something else? (in this case I don't know what else!!).
Or maybe is a firmware issue and I'd better re-install the 1.4.3?
Or simply The Sandisk Extreme III is not compatible with the MT? And why should this be?

These and many more are the doubt I have now. Anybody else can add his grain to this?

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2007, 06:19:03 AM »
I sent the memory to the supplier I bought it from and received a brand new replacement (8 Gb Sandisk Extreme III CF). Thumbs very up for this dealer (24memorysupplier - is a UK based Ebay shop)!

I formatted the memory in the MT and it works perfectly.

I am still thinking of what could be the cause of the failure of the previous oune.
I remember that all started when I disconnected the MT from the PC without following the right procedure, then the MT displayed briefly somethning like:"run recovery disk". At the time I re-formatted the CF in the PC and it seemed to work, but probably some damage started and in fact it failed a few days after.
I am glad my supplier resolved my problem. At the same time I am disappointed by the fragility of the CF memory and of the lack of repair software available. In case the chkdsk X:/F fails I found nothing more powerful.
From now on I'll be very careful in handling the memory card.

I'd also like to add that the Sandisk Extreme III works flawlessly with the MT also at 24/96 (although I normally run 24/48). I am running the 1.4.5. firmware version.

Giovanni

Offline live2496

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Gidluck Mastering
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2007, 09:33:28 AM »
It sounds to me like the file allocation table got corrupted when it was disconnected from your pc. In general, I believe it to be best to format your media on the actual device.

If this should happen to you again, I would try BadCopyPro available from www.jufsoft.com.

They will refund your purchase price within 3 days if you fail to recover your files with it.

It says that it works on all file systems.

AEA R88MKII > SPL Crimson 3 > Tascam DA-3000

Offline gorlando

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2007, 12:37:18 PM »
The problem is that, while I found a lot of programs to recover my files, I found none to repair the FAT of the CF card. My card was nor a FAT32 device any longer but it said something like "RAW device".
After searchnig for a while I gave up and sent back the memory to the supplier, Luckily it was a serious Ebay shop and sent me a new card for the sole cost of transportation (10 Euro).

So far the new card is working very well and is very predictable in its behaviour. Maybe this is the new MT firmware 1.4.5, but I feel the system is now reliable.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.07 seconds with 39 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com