Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Where to Buy DAT tapes in 2010?  (Read 15169 times)

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (31)
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
Where to Buy DAT tapes in 2010?
« on: March 03, 2010, 04:37:55 PM »
I've scoured through the boards for information like this but I am not finding it, so this looks like the place to post...

First off, I see that everybody is now recording onto compact flash. Great. But you'll still see a WHOLE LOT of DAT in everybody's rig signatures. So I think that SOMEone still loves DAT, I just wonder for how much longer we can do that?

I usually get all my DATs from American Digital, but they have precious few choices left:

50 Sony DG90P for $174.96 (3.49ea)

I was about to order from them today when I noticed that Amazon offers the same tapes cheaper and with free shipping:

$3.96 & eligible for FREE Super Saver Shipping on orders over $25

That just can't be, can it?

So where would you guys suggest I go?

I'd rather keep someone in business that can keep supplying me, but $ are short.
have done a billion internet searches and I am am sick of that.

Alternately, feel free to to tell me you have a box of tapes you want to sell me.
Of course, then we have to move this thread to marketplace as everyone floods their old sealed tapes into the mill...

Thanks for your input!

jb
once again, lost in all the noise

Offline tim_k

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Regular
Re: Where to Buy DAT tapes in 2010?
« Reply #1 on: March 03, 2010, 06:14:21 PM »
I'm a new guy and I've never used DAT before, but I've purchased lots of video tape stock from tapeandmedia.com, and based on the info you provided, they seem to have what you want. I don't think they have free shipping though.

Offline jonohull

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Member
  • 12/10/07...
« Reply #2 on: March 03, 2010, 08:36:25 PM »
Lots of choices here: http://www.tape.com/products/dat-tape.html

I've purchased from there before, and it was good service.

And I don't know if you found this in your search: http://www.tapeonline.com/dat but it looks good to me.

Offline capnhook

• All your llamas are belong to us....
  • Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (20)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #3 on: March 03, 2010, 09:13:24 PM »

Made a big order of 60m DDS-1 Sony's two weeks ago.....didn't think they would fulfill the order, because they didn't get back to me for ten days.  Finally got them yesterday.....paid $2.76 each, free shipping (that's been what I've been accustomed to paying, historically).  The 4mm 60m DDS-1's must be getting phased out, because the few places I used to buy them either don't stock them anymore, or have jacked the price up so high that they're going to have to eat them.  This one place, databazaar, took my money, then wrote me that they were out of stock.......bullshit, they still have them for sale, but now they want $9.85 each!!  Price gouging motherf5#$ers..

Well, it looks like the place I got them at jacked their price from $2.76 to $3.06.  Free shipping is great.......you should stock up.  90m DDS-1 prices haven't moved very much, but my D8's eat them......

http://www.tonermax.com/product/SONY-DATA-CARTRIDGE-4MM-60M-1.3GB/DG60P/25718

Good luck.... :)

Proud member of the reality-based community

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"It'll never be over, 'till we learn."

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

stevetoney

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #5 on: March 05, 2010, 08:04:35 PM »
Thanks you Guys!

Not only did this thread spark tonedeaf's more interesting one, but I placed orders from both tape.com and tonermax today to compare. Spent about half what I did last time, and should end up with enough DAT tapes to last until my decks die.

I can't believe how invaluable this forum is!

jb

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2010, 07:50:47 PM »

Made a big order of 60m DDS-1 Sony's two weeks ago.....didn't think they would fulfill the order, because they didn't get back to me for ten days.  Finally got them yesterday.....paid $2.76 each, free shipping (that's been what I've been accustomed to paying, historically).  The 4mm 60m DDS-1's must be getting phased out, because the few places I used to buy them either don't stock them anymore, or have jacked the price up so high that they're going to have to eat them.  This one place, databazaar, took my money, then wrote me that they were out of stock.......bullshit, they still have them for sale, but now they want $9.85 each!!  Price gouging motherf5#$ers..

Well, it looks like the place I got them at jacked their price from $2.76 to $3.06.  Free shipping is great.......you should stock up.  90m DDS-1 prices haven't moved very much, but my D8's eat them......

Good luck.... :)

Here we are, exactly 14 days later......try the above link now and you get:

We currently don't offer this product.

the sky is falling.......... :-\

.....and at tape.com, prices are up a buck/tape (60m SONY DDS1):

http://www.tape.com/6DDS60SON.html?leftmenu=blankmedianav

still $3 for 60M DDS1 here:

http://www.tapeonline.com/products/sony-dds-4mm-dg60p

« Last Edit: March 17, 2010, 08:00:59 PM by capnhook »

BSCS-L->JB-mod [NAK CM-300 (CP-3) and/or (CP-1)]->LSD2->CA CAFS-Omni->Sony ECM-907**Apogee MiniMe Rev. C->CA Ugly II->**Edirol OCM R-44->Tascam DR-22WL->Sony TCD-D8

"Don't ever take an all or nothing attitude when it comes to making a difference
and being beautiful and making the world a beautiful place through your actions.
Every little bit is registered.  Every little bit.  So be as beautiful as you can as often as you can"

"My dream is to get a bus and get the band and just go coast to coast. Just about everything else except music, is anti-musical.  That's it.  Music's the thing." - Jeb Puryear

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #7 on: March 19, 2010, 05:22:21 PM »
Here is my follow up:

tonermax sent me a box of 90M DDS-1 tapes in less than a week. $31 for 10 tapes.

tape.com sent me several boxes of 90M DDS-1 tapes in less than a week that i didn't like as much (Maxell vs. Sony) in about 4 days, but i paid for the shipping. Everything was in my hands in less than 5 days from CA>SLC.

Both companies listed 60M & 90M tape as in stock.

Both companies requested "how are we doing?" follow-up forms.

Good Hunting!

jb

Offline capnhook

• Site Supporter
« Reply #8 on: March 19, 2010, 05:31:28 PM »

Both companies listed 60M & 90M tape as in stock.

Like I just said, between three companies, we're down to two for 60M:

Offline ProfessorO

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Ocean Currents
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2010, 04:12:28 PM »
How long do you think DATA that are unopened and are still boxed, have been in AC the entire time, are good for?? I have a friend with  hundreds of Sony DG90M that are somewhere between 5-10 yrs old and I know he wants to get rid of them. cheers, arthur
The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.

Offline ProfessorO

• Taperssection Newbie
    • Ocean Currents
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2010, 10:29:08 PM »
I should have been a bit clearer,  the tapes are FREE for the taking!  cheers, arthur
The goal of scientists is to maximize what we know of the real world by using the mathematical world to optimize the information from the observed world.

Offline jb63

• Site Supporter
  • Taperssection Member
  • if not now when?
« Reply #11 on: May 27, 2010, 11:57:08 PM »
I should have been a bit clearer,  the tapes are FREE for the taking!  cheers, arthur

I would take those tapes.
I LOVE Sony DG90M tapes.
PM me if still available.

jb

Offline greensparrow

• Taperssection Regular
  • Float with the Cactus, Swim with the Stone
« Reply #12 on: May 28, 2010, 10:37:23 AM »

Hey, I am interested in some of the tapes, sent youa PM, thanks.
Backwards Down the Number Line

Offline SPLASTiK

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
« Reply #13 on: June 03, 2010, 02:55:30 PM »
My old Sony PCM-M1 is broken (wont eject, doesn't even make noise like it's trying...) so I'm probably going to go through all my old tapes in a month or two and I'll bump this if anyone wants some unused TDKs 60 meter DDS for cost of shipping.

http://cgi.ebay.com/TDK-60-Meter-DDS-4mm-Tape-Cartridge-New-/360151777300?cmd=ViewItem&pt=BI_Blank_Media&hash=item53dab80014
They're not Sony but I used to deal with this guy for cheap TDK's 60 meter and he also has 90m. Looks like he raised the price as I last paid 99 cents each for 10x 60m and $10 priority mail (since UPS to Alaska is insane) in 2007... now he wants $1.50 for 60m and $1.75 for 90 meter.

Offline Drifter1

• Trade Count: (5)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 11:54:43 PM »
I buy mine at the local musician shops here in Toronto...maybe your local music store carries them

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.119 seconds with 45 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com