Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Zoom H3-VR  (Read 17167 times)

Offline sos

• Trade Count: (56)
  • Taperssection Member
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 03:22:34 PM by sos »
Mics
AKG:  Naiant actives (CK61/62/63-ULS) & C568 B
Audio-Technica:  AT853 (all caps)
Nakamichi:  Franken Nak(s): CM-300 (CP-1/2/3) & CM-700 (CP-701/702)
Primo:  EM4052PMI4 (CP-3)
Pres  Naiant: littlebox (v. 1.5/ot) & tinyboxes (v. 1.0 & 2.5)
Decks  Sound Devices: MixPre-10T | Sony: PCM-A10 | Roland: R-05 & R-09HR
Juice  Krisdonia LiPo 50k (NJF-5X) | LADDA rechargeables | Powerex MHC9000

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Zoom H3-VR
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2018, 03:21:40 PM »
I bet they'll sell a ton of these, though I doubt many tapers will be buying them.
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

Offline relefunt

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
  • kindfulness
    • Milwaukee Taper
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2018, 03:36:10 PM »
Everyone who wants to know how to stealth tape — you put this on the top of your head and try to act natural. That’s all you need right there!
« Last Edit: September 13, 2018, 04:19:12 PM by relefunt »
AKG c414xls, Beyerdynamic MC930, Line Audio CM3 and OM1. Superluxe S502mk2
Sneaky: Church CA11+14, Audiotechnica AT853.
Preamps: Shure FP24, CA9200.
Recorder: Sound Devices MixPre6, Roland R05, Sony M10.
my local taping blog: milwaukeetaper.com

Offline Nick's Picks

• Trade Count: (33)
  • I thought I heard.......
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2018, 03:39:51 PM »
awesome !

Offline heathen

• Trade Count: (23)
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2018, 03:41:51 PM »
Rveryone who wants to know about how to stealth tape — you put this on the top of your head and try to act natural. That’s all you need right there!

Goodbye kangol, hello dunce cap!
Mics: AT4050ST | AT4031 | AT853 (C/SC) | Line Audio CM3 | Sennheiser e614 | Sennheiser MKE2 | DPA 4061 Pre: CA9200 Decks: Zoom F8 | Roland R-05

ThePiedPiper

• Trade Count: (0)
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2018, 04:03:27 PM »
I'm pre-ordering. Very excited about this. I "think" I have a very good use for it ... can't wait!

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2018, 05:45:45 PM »
this will be a great mic for bands to play with.   Recording practices and gigs and what not....., very slick IMO.

Offline borjam

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2018, 02:17:15 AM »
Now maybe Rycote or Cinela will release a proper windproof hat for it  >:D
"Don't worry about the drums. I'm a percussionist, I can play on carton boxes" - Peer Wyboris

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2018, 07:06:55 AM »
I always thought of the H2N as "a mic that records" but in this case, there is no other way of describing it.  The whole point of the device is the mic array and the processing behind it.  So, it will sink or swim according to the quality of those mics.  The device has no point if the mics are not adequate.  Right now I am not seeing any info about the specs of the mics.  It's very likely that we will know nothing about them till the reviews are in.  So personally I wouldn't dream of pre-ordering.

What gives me cause for optimism is that they could use capsules with some deficiences but remedy those deficiences in the following electronics, given that the capsules are going to be used with the device and nothing else.

On the other hand, for myself, I don't hear a significant difference in built in mic quality between the H1N, H2, and H2N.  Will the H3 use H1N capsules, but just twice as many, or something completely new?  Lack of any mention in the blurb (that I have read) about mic quality makes me wonder.  It would have been nice to have read something about "newly developed mic capsules" or the like.

ThePiedPiper

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2018, 08:55:46 PM »
I always thought of the H2N as "a mic that records" but in this case, there is no other way of describing it.  The whole point of the device is the mic array and the processing behind it.  So, it will sink or swim according to the quality of those mics.  The device has no point if the mics are not adequate.  Right now I am not seeing any info about the specs of the mics.  It's very likely that we will know nothing about them till the reviews are in.  So personally I wouldn't dream of pre-ordering.

What gives me cause for optimism is that they could use capsules with some deficiences but remedy those deficiences in the following electronics, given that the capsules are going to be used with the device and nothing else.

On the other hand, for myself, I don't hear a significant difference in built in mic quality between the H1N, H2, and H2N.  Will the H3 use H1N capsules, but just twice as many, or something completely new?  Lack of any mention in the blurb (that I have read) about mic quality makes me wonder.  It would have been nice to have read something about "newly developed mic capsules" or the like.

Well said. I agree (read: FINGERS CROSSED).

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2018, 10:05:14 AM »
oh, i'm sure they will be whatever crappy stock china-caps they have always been using.

Offline intpseeker

• Trade Count: (8)
  • Taperssection Member
  • In music the passions enjoy themselves
« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2018, 08:14:40 PM »
Specs
Recording Media:    

Cards compatible with microSD/microSDHC/microSDXC specifications
(Class 4 or higher)
Recording formats:    

Ambisonics  A,  Ambisonics  B  (FuMa/AmbiX)
WAV  4ch  poly  (supports  BWF  and  iXML):  44.1  kHz/16-bit,  44.1  kHz/24-bit,  48  kHz/16-bit,  48  kHz/24-bit,  96  kHz/16-bit,  96  kHz/24-bit
Stereo
WAV  stereo  (supports  BWF  and  iXML):  44.1  kHz/16-bit,  44.1  kHz/24-bit,  48kHz/16-bit,  48  kHz/24-bit,  96  kHz/16-bit,  96  kHz/24-bit
Binaural
WAV  stereo  (supports  BWF  and  iXML):  44.1  kHz/16-bit,  44.1  kHz/24-bit,  48kHz/16-bit,  48  kHz/24-bit
Display:    

1.25" monochrome LCD (96×64)
Motion sensor:    

6 axes (3-axis gyro, 3-axis acceleration)
Built-in Ambisonic mic:    

4 matched unidirectional condenser mics
Maximum sound pressure input: 120 dB SPL
Mic gain: +18 – +48 dB
LINE OUT:    

Connector: 3.5 mm stereo mini
Maximum output level: −10 dBu (1 kHz, 10 kΩ load)
PHONE OUT:    

Connector: 3.5 mm stereo mini
Maximum output level: 20 mW + 20 mW (into 32Ω load)
USB:    

Connector: microUSB

Mass storage operation

USB 2.0 High Speed

Audio interface operation

2 in/2 out (stereo/binaural input), USB 2.0 Full Speed
    44.1 kHz/16-bit, 48 kHz/16-bit
    4 in/2 out ( Ambisonics A/FuMa/AmbiX input), USB 2.0 High Speed
    44.1 kHz/24-bit, 48 kHz/24-bit

Power:    

2 AA batteries (alkaline, rechargeable NiMH or lithium)
AC adapter (ZOOM AD-17): DC 5V/1A (supports USB bus power)
Estimated continuous recording time using batteries:    

48 kHz/24-bit, FuMa Rec Mode

Alkaline batteries: about 11.5 hours
     NiMH batteries (1900 mAh): about 11.5 hours
     Lithium batteries: about 24 hours

• The above values are approximate.
    • Continuous battery operation times were determined using in-house testing methods. They will vary greatly according to use conditions.

External dimensions:    

76 mm (W) × 78 mm (D) × 123 mm (H)
Weight (main unit only):    

120 g
Mics:        Akg 451 eb A51's, ck-1's, ck-2's, ck 8's
                Peluso CEMC6 MK2, MK4, MK21, MK41
                AKG 391
                CA-11 cards and omnis
Pre:          ST-9100
Cables:     XTC Silvers, DT47-12's
Recorders: ACM PMD660
                 Busman modded R-4
                 PCM-M10
                 DR-70D
                 Church modded R-09 micsketeer
“One good thing about music, when it hits- you feel no pain” - Bob Marley

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #12 on: September 19, 2018, 12:59:19 AM »
My point exactly - without specs relating to actual mic quality, the rest is of academic interest.  We simply don't know whether this will be crap or amazing.

Offline Nick's Picks

« Reply #13 on: September 19, 2018, 08:10:04 AM »
I expect it will be amazingly crappy.   
honestly,  I bet it will be cool sounding in terms of what you can "carve" out of a recording, but the sonic characteristics will be that of typical cheap china caps.   brassy and shrill.

Offline Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
« Reply #14 on: September 20, 2018, 11:15:07 AM »
I always thought of the H2N as "a mic that records" but in this case, there is no other way of describing it.  The whole point of the device is the mic array and the processing behind it. So, it will sink or swim according to the quality of those mics.  The device has no point if the mics are not adequate.
I expect it will be amazingly crappy.   
honestly,  I bet it will be cool sounding in terms of what you can "carve" out of a recording, but the sonic characteristics will be that of typical cheap china caps.   brassy and shrill.

I'm with Nick in that I don't think the quality of the microphones is the main thing of importance here, and see that as rather quite secondary, as it must be to keep the cost reasonable. The "all in one", simple to use nature of the device is its primary feature and the main attraction.  The key is the array being directly linked to the recorder and it's built-in ambisonic processing.  This opens up ambisonics to a new and much larger audience than recording geeks, acousticians, and academics.

The primary value here is that all the PITA ambisonic stuff is taken care of internally, relieving the recordist of the biggest burdens of recording ambisonically.  No 4ch wiring harnesses or clunky power supplies for each capsule. No need to match gains perfectly across all channels on a multichannel recorder and maintain that match while changing gain during a recording session.  No need to correctly sequence the resulting files when importing them into a format conversion app.  No need for an app at all to get usable output, although that functionality is available for greater flexibility and post manipulation than what one can do direct out of the device.

Because of all that, I see this particular move to "all in one" as a far bigger deal for ambisonics than the "all in one" shift away from external preamps and ADC's in the taping world a decade ago.  That was mostly about increased convenience, simplicity, and weight without taking too big a hit on quality.  This is about tapping into a new customer market entirely.  Serious users will likely stick with other ambisonic mics for now, but this type of implementation is the future IMO.

What gives me cause for optimism is that they could use capsules with some deficiencies but remedy those deficiences in the following electronics, given that the capsules are going to be used with the device and nothing else.

Yes.  That's one advantage the TetraMic has over its competition- the use of corrective filtering specific to the particular microphone.  Presumably other A-format output ambisonic mics also do correction specific to the capsule configuration geometry within their A-format conversion apps, but the TetraMic is the only one I'm aware of which also corrects for the specific response of each capsule, using a correction file linked the microphone's serial number.

All that could be employed within this device, but I doubt it.  We won't be privy to all that secret sauce, but my suspicion is that this device will correct generically but not specifically- that is to say, I think they will optimize for the dimensions of the tetrahedral configuration and apply average response corrections for the microphone capsules used, but will not correct for specific response variations between individual capsules.  That would be too costly to do for each mic at this price point.

This does address the biggest hassles I have running TetraMic though.  For years I've been thinking of having a small custom 4-channel mic-power-supply/ganged-preamp built so that I could attach the TetraMic, preamp and a DR2d together as a single compact unit.  This recognizes that impulse and implements it nicely.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.131 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com