Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Does anyone have any ideas what's causing this crackling sound during applause?  (Read 6694 times)

Offline lmgbtapes

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Taperssection Regular
Just started listening to my pull from a show tonight (AJJ! Awesome live band)- noticed this during one of the applause breaks between songs

http://s000.tinyupload.com/download.php?file_id=00496633603373865894&t=0049663360337386589424068

I was running KM184s (ORTF) + akgc460b/ck22s (Spaced 3') +SBD > Tascamdr680mkii DFC on a stand next to soundboard about 30' back and 7' high. Was close to the crowd but the crackling doesn't sound at all natural to my ears. Crackling occurs between 0:04-0:05

I isolated the different sources and it's mostly on the KM184s (both L + R) but also somewhat on the c460bs. It's odd because it's not heard during all applause breaks, as so:

http://s000.tinyupload.com/index.php?file_id=27428817628030618184

Anyone have any ideas? It's throwing me for a loop- I wasn't clipping and especially am confused by the way that I'm only getting it on the L/R KM184 and rightmost ck22- the left side ck22 doesn't catch it at all, and it's not on the SBD feed. This would lead me to believe it has something to do with the mics close to the crowd (the leftmost mic was closer to the sound guy than the audience) but still- the fact that I'm not hearing it on a different similarly uproarious applause really has me at a total loss. 

edit: hmm, just listened through my laptop's speakers and I can't really hear it there, tried plugging in some earbuds and I can just barely discern it with those- could it be playback device related? I can hear it pretty clearly on my monitor headphones (Sony MDR7506).

e2: just tried a different pair of decent headphones and I can clearly hear it with those as well, so I guess it's relegated to the low end?
« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 06:06:32 PM by love2tape »

Offline morst

• I think I found an error on the internet; #UnionStrong
  • Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
Sound guy eating a candy bar? Floor vibrations? Did you use shock mounts?
https://toad.social/@morst spoutible.com/morst post.news/@acffhmorst

Offline lmgbtapes

• Taperssection Regular
I was using a shock mount adapted for the mic bar (was thrown in when I bought mics from someone else here :) ) but I probably put more weight on it than is typically ideal..

https://imgur.com/mpW2elA

Is that what applause can sound like if you’re not using proper shock mounts? I was hoping it would be a telltale ‘specific thing’ that someone else has faced before- It definitely wasn’t the sound guy-, I just want to know what my best bet would be in fixing it. There’s no way it could be the dr680mkii, right? I ask because I heard similar crackles during applause when I was recording a band with mics on stage a few months back- it was the same sort of thing where it only occurred during one or two applause breaks early on.

Offline nulldogmas

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection All-Star
    • How I Escaped My Uncertain Fate
Those two files honestly sound pretty similar to me, even on studio headphones. You sure it's not just very slight mic overload?

Offline morst

It's really minor. If you didn't say to listen for crackling, I might not have noticed it. If it's only during applause, I would not sweat it.

ilduclo

• Trade Count: (0)
I didn’t hear it much, either. Looks like you could step on it pretty easily with most editing software :shrug:

Offline u2_fly_2

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
Just do a quick "De-Crackle/De-Noise" in  WavePad Editor / Cool Edit Pro or such.

Not too disturbing noise, heard much worse.

Good luck!
Soundprofessionals Audio Technica AT 943 (SP-CMC-8) External Stereo Microphones > SP-SPSB-10-80020
Sound Professionals Micro-mini microphone power supply with mini 12vdc battery and 24 inch hardwired output cable Soundprofessionals Batterybox >> Olympus Ls-10 Linear Recorder > 4 GB > 24 Bit / 48 Khz  > 24 Bit / 96 Khz

Zoom Q3 HD - 1080p / 96-24 Bit

Roland R-26 (96 / 24 Bit)

Sony PCM-D100 (192 / 24 Bit)

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
I cannot clearly hear a problem on earbuds plugged directly into the computer, yet suspect this is a classic instance of "loud clapper". 

There is some sort of taping law that there is at least one in every audience, and that such individuals will always position themselves in close proximity to anyone recording.  Its aggravated by proximity, making it most egregious if wearing the microphones, and least problematic if the recording position has no audience in the immediate vicinity or if the mics can be flown high enough to get sufficient distance above the surrounding audience.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dyneq

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection Member
Too true. The corollary to that law is that you'll be in reserved seating, making it impossible to move away from the loud clapper.

Offline adrianf74

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
I cannot clearly hear a problem on earbuds plugged directly into the computer, yet suspect this is a classic instance of "loud clapper". 

There is some sort of taping law that there is at least one in every audience, and that such individuals will always position themselves in close proximity to anyone recording.  Its aggravated by proximity, making it most egregious if wearing the microphones, and least problematic if the recording position has no audience in the immediate vicinity or if the mics can be flown high enough to get sufficient distance above the surrounding audience.

QFT.

Doesn't matter WHERE in the room you choose to record from (be it 007 or open), that ONE person will always find their way to within 5-to-10 feet of you, if not closer.  It *NEVER* fails.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline lmgbtapes

• Taperssection Regular
Aint that the truth. A few weeks back I taped stage lip with an amazing crowd but ended up next to the ONE guy who decided to sing super loud & let notes hang longer than the entire audience. Like I'm talking, there was 1 song in the encore where he was the only one in the entire room yelling for a full 3 seconds. 3 feet away -_-

After the feedback I received here I realized I was almost certainly just being overly critical of something that I was p much the only person perceiving. So that was helpful in its own way in the sense that I learned when to let certain things go :)

Thx all

Offline DSatz

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (35)
For classical concerts, the counterpart is the guy who needs to prove that he knows the music better than anyone else in the audience, and that he is an Opinion Maker whose Opinion Should Be Listened To.

He claims this status by starting to clap loudly as soon as the last note has been played, rather than waiting for the sound of the music to die down in the hall completely, and for the rest of the audience to start responding.
music > microphones > a recorder of some sort

Online Gutbucket

• record > listen > revise technique
  • Trade Count: (16)
  • "Better to love music than respect it" ~Stravinsky
Also especially egregious with jazz, where interesting musical improvisations frequency occur "upon taxing to the gate after touch-down", yet are rendered inaudible by premature applause.

I generally make a point of pseudo-obviously holding my own applause until the last note dies completely, intending to set something of a good example.  Quite likely no one notices or cares, but it feels good, and I feel it honors both the music and musicians.
musical volition > vibrations > voltages > numeric values > voltages > vibrations> virtual teleportation time-machine experience
Better recording made easy - >>Improved PAS table<< | Made excellent- >>click here to download the Oddball Microphone Technique illustrated PDF booklet<< (note: This is a 1st draft, now several years old and in need of revision!  Stay tuned)

Offline dactylus

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (62)
  • Maplewood, MN
Also especially egregious with jazz, where interesting musical improvisations frequency occur "upon taxing to the gate after touch-down", yet are rendered inaudible by premature applause.

I generally make a point of pseudo-obviously holding my own applause until the last note dies completely, intending to set something of a good example.  Quite likely no one notices or cares, but it feels good, and I feel it honors both the music and musicians.

^
This.  I cringe every time this happens:  "Also especially egregious with jazz, where interesting musical improvisations frequency occur "upon taxing to the gate after touch-down", yet are rendered inaudible by premature applause." 

:facepalm:
hot licks > microphones > recorder

...ball of confusion, that's what the world is today, hey hey...

Offline morst

I tried this at a weekend of music last week, whenever I could remember to do so. It is a nice challenge, and I found myself starting to clap right as the crowd stopped in several cases!
I guess the rockers are used to it, they often flow right into the following tune right when their last notes die out.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.125 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com