Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II  (Read 100744 times)

Offline illconditioned

• Trade Count: (9)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Sony's new $600 recorder PCM-D50 PT II
« Reply #75 on: June 21, 2008, 03:36:18 PM »
Has anyone attempted removing the built-in mics or creating some kind of slip-on cover for them?  Out of the current digi recorders, this one would probably work best for me, but I just don't need those mics.
I don't know, it seems having the mics would be good for situations when you just want to "point and shoot".  They do seem to sound pretty OK.  Would probably be great for interviews, impromptu ambient recording, jam sessions, drum circles, recording your drunken neighbour hollaring at the top of voice keeping the entire campsite awake at a hippie festival...

Richard
Please DO NOT mail me with tech questions.  I will try to answer in the forums when I get a chance.  Thanks.

Sample recordings at: http://www.soundmann.com.

Offline stantheman1976

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #76 on: June 21, 2008, 10:37:56 PM »
Can this use MS Duo Pro sticks?

Offline bilco

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #77 on: June 22, 2008, 01:26:47 AM »

Yes, that is what Stephanie Wingfield shipped with the kit I bought for mine, a 4 gig MS Duo Pro stick, says it is a Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark2, 4 GB/GO.  MS-MT4G

Somewhere I have seen a thread of someone using larger than 4 gig successfully, not sure where that thread was though..

bilco

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #78 on: June 22, 2008, 03:09:10 AM »
Does it have a seamless split at 2GB or a noticeable pause?

Offline bilco

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #79 on: June 22, 2008, 01:46:38 PM »
Someone who has recorded a large file will have to chime in.  I am just getting started. I am going to record our band live next Friday night.  That will be my first chance to see how it handles large files.

bilco

Offline brianp

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Member
    • Shows I've taped on LMA
« Reply #80 on: June 22, 2008, 04:01:44 PM »

definitely seamless
SBD>MR>C>D>CD>EAC>SHN

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #81 on: June 23, 2008, 09:04:40 AM »

definitely seamless

Sweet! So far I have found about a dozen good reasons to buy one of these and no reasons not to.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #82 on: June 23, 2008, 10:14:18 AM »
It will record without problems to MS Duo Pro (I have tested with 16bit on these at the Wanee festival) but it will sometimes tell me that I have unknown memory or something like that.  Once I formatted the sticks, it's fine.  Now, with the HG Duo, never any issues that require formatting, etc. 
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline stantheman1976

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #83 on: June 23, 2008, 11:52:22 AM »
The internal should be fine for me.  I have an extra 2GB stick I bought for my PSP so if I can use it also it would be good.  One more question.  Does the limiter work the same when recording a line in source as with mics?  If I hooked it up to a soundboard and wanted to set the levels fairly high will it limit for me so I can walk away and not worry about clipping?  If so this would work perfectly in my current setting of recording mostly church services.  I could turn the gain up for the speakers at the start and the music in the middle wouldn't kill the recording.  Then I could move away and film also.

Offline mrsoul

• Let 'er rip!
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spare some change and testify!
« Reply #84 on: June 23, 2008, 02:01:17 PM »
I am almost 100% positive that the limiter does work for line input but you can download the manual here to check:

PCM-D50 Manual
It seems to me what you lose in mystery, you gain in awe.  Sir Francis Crick

Offline bilco

• Taperssection Newbie
« Reply #85 on: June 23, 2008, 05:45:37 PM »
I recorded some vocal/acoustic guitar tracks this morning and I could not be happier.  My voice and fingers were not wide awake yet, but I wanted to record while the traffic noise was minimal and before the laundry fired up.  I recorded at 24/96 in an untreated small bedroom and it is amazingly quiet, (other than one of my &^$#@* dogs barking on the other side of the door in the middle of a song....) and once I got it aimed at the correct angle, it got a good blend of my voice and the guitar.  Small diaphragm condensors are not the most flattering mic in the world for vocals, but I think these sound pretty dang good and require absolutely no setup.  After 5 years of fussing with mic placement, editing, EQ and mixing in Pro Tools LE DAWs, this is a Godsend.  I am turning into a minimalist.

I am going to post an mp3 as soon as I render the wav file to mp3.  Can we attach mp3s to posts here or do I just insert a link that points to somewhere else?  I searched, but I am not finding anything.

Thanks,
bilco

Offline WiFiJeff

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
  • I tape therefore I am.
« Reply #86 on: June 24, 2008, 09:19:09 AM »

Yes, that is what Stephanie Wingfield shipped with the kit I bought for mine, a 4 gig MS Duo Pro stick, says it is a Memory Stick Pro Duo Mark2, 4 GB/GO.  MS-MT4G

Somewhere I have seen a thread of someone using larger than 4 gig successfully, not sure where that thread was though..

bilco

I have reported my experiences (mostly with the D1, which turns out to be fussier than the D50 about what it can use)

The D1 can use 4GB memory stick and pro duo with no problems at 24/96, I ran it for a year with no issues.  But it can not see more than 4GB of an 8 or 16GB pro duo, though it seemed to record on the smaller part it reported as free okay.  I will have to wait for the pro HG duo for larger capacities for the D1.

I have now twice used (but not in the field) a 16GB pro duo "Mark2" card on the D50, and it records fine, no glitches even if I divide the files on the fly while recording.  I am still nervous about running it live this way, but in a pinch would certainly risk it based on testing at home.

Jeff

Offline a-dub

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #87 on: June 24, 2008, 07:11:54 PM »
Has anyone used the XLR-1 for this unit?
Shhh, silence is golden.

Offline Arni99

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #88 on: June 25, 2008, 04:29:14 AM »
Has anyone used the XLR-1 for this unit?
Yes, a German Guy called "trebogad".
His recordings can be found on www.dimeadozen.org .
Search for "D50" and you will find it there.
« Last Edit: April 30, 2009, 06:08:49 AM by Arni99 »
1st: SONY PCM-M10 + DPA 4060's + DPA MPS 6030 power supply (microdot)
2nd: iPhone 5 + "Rode iXY" microphone/"Zoom IQ5" microphone

Offline 612

• Trade Count: (3)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Minneapolis, MN
« Reply #89 on: June 25, 2008, 08:21:07 AM »
buydig.com
   $449 free headphones free shipping got mine there ask for abe.

It's gone up $20 since last Feb. which is of course to be expected and that's still a great deal with the no shipping (remote still included as well).

I was curious where others have been purchasing their D50s? I'd also like to support someone like Cascade as well as other companies that have been kind to the community.

TIA.
Empty's Tapes & My recordings on the LMA

"Keep active, stay positive..." - a wise man

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.08 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com