Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Looking for edit help  (Read 2184 times)

Offline shadowfax1007

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
    • BNELive
Looking for edit help
« on: July 11, 2016, 09:11:57 AM »
So I've got this recording I made the other night and I just can't seem to get my edit right, so I'm hoping someone might have the time to help me.

Usually I just do fade in/out, normalise and track it which is usually all I need to do but this recording didn't turn out as good.

My main issues:
1) In the first track my mics get unplugged and it briefly switches to internal mics. Easy enough fix with the envelope tool which I did on my edit but is not included on this uploaded master.
2) It was recorded slightly right of centre, closer to the stage then I would have preferred. Channels aren't balanced and things are a little bassy.
3) I didn't have time to setup, adjust levels etc so I ended up running my input lower that I usually would. Even after using normalise, the volume seems super quiet, I think it might be due to one super random, very fast peak halfway through the show but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I'm posting up my untouched master in the hopes that someone might be willing to take a look at it. I'll do fade in/out and tracking but if someone can look at boosting the volume, balancing channels and working any sort of audio magic they feel like, then I'd appreciate it.

If anyone does has the time to do it and has the time, I'd also appreciate maybe a quick run down on what you did/how you did it so I know for future edits.

Much appreciated guys.
www.bnelive.net

Mics:
SP-CMC-2 (Cardioid & Sub-Cardioid caps)
SP-BMC-12 (Omni)
SP-BMC-1 (Omni)

Power:
SP-SPSB-10

Recorders:
Olympus LS-10
Olympus LS-12
Sony PCM-A10

Offline bombdiggity

• Trade Count: (11)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Looking for edit help
« Reply #1 on: July 11, 2016, 10:40:07 AM »
So I've got this recording I made the other night and I just can't seem to get my edit right, so I'm hoping someone might have the time to help me.

Usually I just do fade in/out, normalise and track it which is usually all I need to do but this recording didn't turn out as good.

My main issues:
1) In the first track my mics get unplugged and it briefly switches to internal mics. Easy enough fix with the envelope tool which I did on my edit but is not included on this uploaded master.
2) It was recorded slightly right of centre, closer to the stage then I would have preferred. Channels aren't balanced and things are a little bassy.
3) I didn't have time to setup, adjust levels etc so I ended up running my input lower that I usually would. Even after using normalise, the volume seems super quiet, I think it might be due to one super random, very fast peak halfway through the show but I'm not sure how to fix it.

I'm posting up my untouched master in the hopes that someone might be willing to take a look at it. I'll do fade in/out and tracking but if someone can look at boosting the volume, balancing channels and working any sort of audio magic they feel like, then I'd appreciate it.

If anyone does has the time to do it and has the time, I'd also appreciate maybe a quick run down on what you did/how you did it so I know for future edits.

Much appreciated guys.

You don't say what software you have... 

1) is actually probably the most difficult fix on the face of it.  If you can dot hat the rest should be easy. 

2) channels aren't balanced: if solely the volume amplify one of the channels more than the other.  Audition/Cool Edit lets you gather the statistics to see what the average and total volumes are for the channels so you have an idea of the differential. 

sometimes if you're off center a "balance" issue can actually be a phase issue (the left and right are not time aligned with each other) rather than purely volume.  those are harder to diagnose and fix but there should be some threads around here to get familiar with that topic. 

bassy: use an fft filter to reduce the offending frequencies a bit to get a better overall balance.

3) if there is a spike or two or a few that constrain/s how far the overall level can be increased zoom in really close on the area of the level spike/s and highlight the area/s (one area at a time) then reduce the volume of it a substantial amount to get that more even with the rest.  then process the entire track. 

Gear:
Audio:
Schoeps MK4V
Nak CM-100/CM-300 w/ CP-1's or CP-4's
SP-CMC-25
>
Oade C mod R-44  OR
Tinybox > Sony PCM-M10 (formerly Roland R-05) 
Video: Varied, with various outboard mics depending on the situation

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2016, 11:24:33 AM »
I am downloading file now (>1.0 GB) and will have a look when finished.

Offline Ronmac

• Trade Count: (1)
  • Taperssection Member
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2016, 12:12:00 PM »
This will not be an easy fix.

First listen leads me to believe you were very close to the stage and missed a lot of the mid and high end energy coming from the stacks, instead getting way too much low end from the subs. It is easy to take out the low end, but very difficult to add what you didn't capture.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.05 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com