Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Tascam DR-60DMKII  (Read 4757 times)

Offline mhlsr

• Trade Count: (7)
  • Taperssection Regular
Tascam DR-60DMKII
« on: October 04, 2014, 08:28:36 AM »

Offline Ultfris101

• Site Supporter
  • Trade Count: (15)
  • Taperssection Member
  • Spoon!!!
Re: Tascam DR-60DMKII
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2014, 10:53:13 AM »
They're touting the upgraded preamps but I've heard generally good things from the folks on this board regarding the initial version. Curious if these are in the range of the HS-P82 which sound really good.

Besides that, what's the big change?
Mics: Schoeps MK5,MK41 CMC6,KCY,KC5 | AKG ck63,ck1 C460B,C480B | DPA 4061 | Naiant X-R card,hyper | CA-14o,c
Pres: Sound Devices USBPre2 | Naiant Tinybox | Church Audio 9200, UBB
Recs: Zoom F8 | Edirol R-44 | Sony PCM-M10 | Tascam DR-2d
Video: Sony CX550(2), CX580, HX9

LMA: http://archive.org/bookmarks/ultfris101

Offline Jonmac

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2014, 11:22:06 AM »
It would be good if they've improved the battery life.

Zoom H1, Zoom H2, Zoom H6, Tascam DR-40, Tascam Dr-05, Homebrew mic's, C2 Cardioids

Offline buckster

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2014, 05:28:34 PM »
They're touting the upgraded preamps but I've heard generally good things from the folks on this board regarding the initial version. Curious if these are in the range of the HS-P82 which sound really good.

Besides that, what's the big change?
Upgraded the grey handles to red???  ;D

It's already listed @ B&H for pre-order @ $199.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1084690-REG/tascam_dr_60mkii_portable_recorder_for_dslr.html

Offline willndmb

• Trade Count: (17)
  • Needs to get out more...
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2014, 06:29:10 PM »
I don't see anything different other then the handles. Heck even the video and images they used are from the original 60d
If the pres are different  ??? But in all my testing vs naiant/m10 combo I couldn't really notice any difference and have gone strictly 60d recently (even sold one of my m10). Point being the original sounds good

Edit read the whole thing and the only differences listed from the original are the red handles and the pres with "high plus" gain which gives an additional 12db over the originals "high".
Same poor battery life and 32gb max card
« Last Edit: October 04, 2014, 06:49:59 PM by willndmb »
Mics - AKG ck61/ck63 (c480b & Naiant actives), SP-BMC-2
XLR Cables - Silver Path w/Darktrain stubbies
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)
Preamps - Naiant Littlebox & Tinybox
Recorders - PCM-M10 & DR-60D

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #5 on: October 06, 2014, 06:32:42 PM »
Perhaps part of the relaunch was to quietly lower the price point vs the original while making enough of a change to warrant the "II" name.  Indeed, the quoted battery life seems to be the same as the original, and indicates that whatever it is that eats batteries is inherent in the overall design.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2014, 08:39:55 PM »
Perhaps part of the relaunch was to quietly lower the price point vs the original while making enough of a change to warrant the "II" name.  Indeed, the quoted battery life seems to be the same as the original, and indicates that whatever it is that eats batteries is inherent in the overall design.
exactly what I thought on price point and really who needs 64db of gain, not many
Interconnect Cables - Dogstar (XLR), Darktrain (RCA > 1/8) (1/8 > 1/8), and Kind Kables (1/8f > 1/4)

Offline cosmickc

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
    • Tape List
« Reply #7 on: October 07, 2014, 09:41:08 AM »
I bought the 60D and I could not adjust the record levels.  Really frustrating.  Even with the level all the way down the record meters still showed up and it still recorded a signal.  I sent it back. 

I've been looking for a low priced, good, 4 channel recorder for years.  I had a Zoom H4n for a long time but I was always frustrated by it's inability to handle a line level signal that didn't required one to use a volume/input attenuator for the input.  Recently I bought a Tascam dr-40 but it too suffers the same as the h4n, although not as bad.  However, it lacks a separate input to use external microphones and still be able to take a soundboard input.  Last year I bought a the Tascam DR-100mkII.  It's only 2 channel but it is very robust and reminds me of my old Tascam DA-P1.  I've found that most of these small Flash recorders have terrible pre-amps in them.  I would like to find one that could do 4 channel?  One that was low priced, like this Dr-60DMKII.  Could handle a Soundboard feed without brickwalling.  Thanks!

Offline 2manyrocks

• Trade Count: (12)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #8 on: October 07, 2014, 11:18:37 AM »
Was the input level set via the menu set to high, medium or low?

You can buy the new MkII for $199 or get the older version for $199 with plural eyes at B & H.  Some were reselling the plural eyes software before the new version came out.  Are the red handles and improved preamps worth the extra, let's say, $50?  Time will tell.

I wish Tascam would generally improve their battery life in their portable recorders.  Maybe the new 22wl and 44wl are a step in that direction. 

Offline Ozpeter

• Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #9 on: October 07, 2014, 06:43:37 PM »
Maybe the new 22wl and 44wl are a step in that direction.
The manual for those makes much of a "Blackfin processor" which apparently helps.

Offline cosmickc

• Taperssection Regular
  • I'm a llama!
    • Tape List
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2014, 07:46:09 PM »

You can buy the new MkII for $199 or get the older version for $199 with plural eyes at B & H.  Some were reselling the plural eyes software before the new version came out.  Are the red handles and improved preamps worth the extra, let's say, $50?  Time will tell.

I wish Tascam would generally improve their battery life in their portable recorders.  Maybe the new 22wl and 44wl are a step in that direction.

Not sure if you were asking me?  But the menu input levels on 60d that I bought were set to low and the darn thing would still record a signal with everything turned all the way down.  When I sent it back to B&H photo I told them that I believed the unit was defective?  They still charged me shipping and then they tried to charge me for the free software they sent along.  They cited a policy of no refunds on software.  Thankfully they quickly resolved the matter.  For awhile I thought I might not get my money back?!?

You just blew my mind with those two new tascam recorders!  Too bad the 44wl doesn't have a separate 1/8 inch input to bypass the built in microphones like the h4n does.

Offline willndmb

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2014, 08:35:04 PM »

Not sure if you were asking me?  But the menu input levels on 60d that I bought were set to low and the darn thing would still record a signal with everything turned all the way down.  When I sent it back to B&H photo I told them that I believed the unit was defective?  They still charged me shipping and then they tried to charge me for the free software they sent along.  They cited a policy of no refunds on software.  Thankfully they quickly resolved the matter.  For awhile I thought I might not get my money back?!?

You just blew my mind with those two new tascam recorders!  Too bad the 44wl doesn't have a separate 1/8 inch input to bypass the built in microphones like the h4n does.
just because the gain was set to low and the knobs as low as they go doesn't mean it shouldn't and wouldn't record a signal. Unless you are saying it was recording a signal with nothing be sent to it then that's different and a defect

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.067 seconds with 40 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com