Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: Marantz 671 in the field... Part 2  (Read 84573 times)

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: Marantz 671 in the field... Part 2
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2006, 01:19:01 PM »
i would go w/ kingston. ymmv.
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline Kevin Straker

• The Shogun of Easley
  • Trade Count: (4)
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2006, 01:53:07 PM »
I grabbed the Kingston for now. i may get one of those 8gb sandisks also.  I assume someone has used these successfully? Let me know how it comes out.

re: my transcend card. They said my first one might have been from a bad batch. I got another one and it didn't work either. So much for that.
People on ludes should not drive...
J. Spicoli

mk4,mk21>kc5>cmc6>V3>SD722

Offline leehookem

• Trade Count: (3)
    • Texas Tapers
« Reply #32 on: February 23, 2006, 01:58:23 PM »
Pat (fanosix) has been using a Sandisc Ultra II for a while now with 0 problems.
www.texastapers.org

AKG c480b ck61/ck63 > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
AKG ck61/63 > NBob Actives > Naiant PFA > Tascam DR-70D
Oade ACM Marantz PMD-671
Audiophile 2496 > Mytek Stereo96 DAC > Sony MDR-7506
Dual 1229 > Marantz 2270 > Kimber Kables > Cerwin Vega VS120

Canon Rebel XSi, EF 50 mm f/1.8, EF-S 18-55mm f/3.5-5.6 IS

Offline TenoRichards

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
  • Resident Taper/Audiophile Wannabe
    • Tenor
« Reply #33 on: February 23, 2006, 03:25:48 PM »
hey Kevin grab this one:  http://www.onsale.com/onsale/shop/detail~dpno~505818.asp
Lee
Thanks for the tip, just ordered mine. I'll let people know if there probs w/ this 8gb card.
dpa 4060's>BBox>acm modded pmd671 or Edirol r-09
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Chuck

• Trade Count: (42)
  • time between the notes...
    • My recordings on the LMA
« Reply #34 on: February 23, 2006, 06:36:49 PM »
OK, i'm just about to order a flash card. What kind should I get? Anybody using the Viking or PNY cards or should I just go ahead and get the kingston 45X?

bhphotovideo.com has Lexar 133X 4GB for 229.00. Has anyone tried this card? It's between this and the 45X kingston for 194.00. Any suggestions?

Thanks-Kevin

I can tell you that the Kingston Elite 45x works for me at 24 bit/48 kHz. I don't know about the other ones...
Reality is merely an illusion, albeit a very persistent one.

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000
Recorders: Sound Devices MixPre-6, iRiver iHP-120 (Rockboxed & RTC mod)

Recordings on the LMA: http://www.archive.org/bookmarks/ChuckM
Recording website & blog: http://www.timebetweenthenotes.com

Offline sygdwm

• unknown sleath taper
  • Trade Count: (1)
« Reply #35 on: February 23, 2006, 09:42:22 PM »
I can tell you that the Kingston Elite 45x works for me at 24 bit/48 kHz. I don't know about the other ones...

QFT
mics: (4)akg c460b(a60,mk46,ck1x,ck1,ck2,ck3,ck61,ck63)
pres: oade m148/edirol wmod ua5
recorders: marantz stock671/oade acm671/fostex busman vintage fr2le

(P.S.: On a threaded discussion board like this one, there's no need to repeat someone's post when you reply to them; everyone can see all the messages in the thread.)

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
    • Tenor
« Reply #36 on: February 24, 2006, 02:09:07 AM »
Question:

I taped a Verdi Requiem dress reh this evening, and during this VERY dynamic piece in the Dies Irae when the bass drum is wailing away, I can only imagine I'm clipping. The meters say O, but it doesn't go to over. What is the difference between a good solid O and Over? i'll post a flac if y'all would like to hear some of this piece. I'm finding that dress rehearsals ar the best time to tape. I can prop up my jdisc between seats in the theater and I don't have annoying coughs and shit in the tape.

Anway, what's an Over? And how does it relate to 'headroom?' Thanks,
Andrew
www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Chanher

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Colorado Crew
« Reply #37 on: February 24, 2006, 02:26:30 AM »
Question:

I taped a Verdi Requiem dress reh this evening, and during this VERY dynamic piece in the Dies Irae when the bass drum is wailing away, I can only imagine I'm clipping. The meters say O, but it doesn't go to over. What is the difference between a good solid O and Over? i'll post a flac if y'all would like to hear some of this piece. I'm finding that dress rehearsals ar the best time to tape. I can prop up my jdisc between seats in the theater and I don't have annoying coughs and shit in the tape.

Anway, what's an Over? And how does it relate to 'headroom?' Thanks,
Andrew

From experience it appears that sometimes clipping is present but not audible. It is still there, however, and maybe future playback systems will reveal it, maybe not, but it should be avoided in 24-bit mode. Personally, I don't mind a little in 16-bit, especially if I'm there to monitor it.
Line Audio CM4 / AT853Rx (c,h,o) / Studio Projects C4 MKII (c,h,o)
Sound Devices MP-2 / bm2p+ Edirol UA-5
Zoom F3 / F6 / Marantz Oade Warm Mod PMD661 / Tascam DR-70D

Offline Chuck

« Reply #38 on: February 25, 2006, 04:44:00 PM »
Something strange...

I  charged up 8 NiMH AA's, put them in the PMD671 battery carrrier, then into the deck on Thursday. I'll be recording tonight, so when packing everything up, I turned the deck on (anal retentive checking) and the screen shows low battery's... (actually very low, because it shut down soon after) It's wierd, because this is the second time this has happened. I checked each battery before I pulled them from the charger (LaCroose BC-900u) and the batteries were fully charged. My question... is it possible that leaving the phantom power switch ON (which I did on both occasions), would drain the batteries if the deck is OFF? This is the only reasonable way I can explain the batteries getting drained after only a couple of days in the recorder. Lucky I have more NiMH AA's charged for tonight.

I guess I'm going to have to do some testing/checking tomorrow...  :-\

Microphones: AKG C 480 B comb-ULS/ CK 61/ CK 63, Sennheiser MKE 2 elements,  Audix M1290-o, Micro capsule active cables w/ Naiant PFA's, Naiant MSH-1O, Naiant AKG Active cables, Church CA-11 (cardioid), (1) Nady SCM-1000 (mod)
Pre-amps: Naiant littlebox, Naiant littlekit v2.0, BM2p+ Edirol UA-5, Church STC-9000

Offline TenoRichards

• Taperssection Regular
    • Tenor
« Reply #39 on: February 25, 2006, 04:55:36 PM »
Chuck, mine has done the exact same thing. I re=charged batts, which lasted 3 mins and then re-inserted, and all was fine. The batt type is correctly set too. I wonder if the housing on the sled isn't fitting right. There have been a couple times when I put in freshly charged batts and get NOTHING. Upon inspection, i find that the sled needs to always be firmly pressed into its housing.

www.tenorrichards.com

Offline Chuck

« Reply #40 on: February 25, 2006, 05:14:40 PM »
Hmmm... well, my solution (for now) is, I'm going to leave the sled out of it until show time.
What you said about the sled not seating properly may be it... maybe the batteries are shorting somehow  ???
Tomorrow, I'll look into it better...

Offline Chuck

« Reply #41 on: February 25, 2006, 05:30:08 PM »
Hmmm... well, my solution (for now) is, I'm going to leave the sled out of it until show time.
What you said about the sled not seating properly may be it... maybe the batteries are shorting somehow  ???
Tomorrow, I'll look into it better...

Looking at the sled, I see there are exposed metal grommets on the side opposite the +/- power side. In the sled compartment on the recorder there are two metal "pushers" that keep the sled up against the power inputs. It looks like it may be possible that one of the exposed grommets can make contact with one of those metal pushers... I just put a piece of black electrical tape over the grommets on my sled, in case that is indeed the problem. More to come tomorrow...

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #42 on: February 25, 2006, 10:11:29 PM »
has anyone tried a 6gb hitachi microdrive in a 671 yet?  i have a couple already and am hoping i don't have to sell them.

Did not work in the PMD660!!! Doug expressed he didn't approve of microdrives for the 660 but not sure on the 671.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

Offline Dutchman1101

• Trade Count: (13)
« Reply #43 on: February 26, 2006, 03:49:03 AM »
has anyone tried a 6gb hitachi microdrive in a 671 yet?  i have a couple already and am hoping i don't have to sell them.

Get one of these http://dealmac.com/deals/San-Disk-Ultra-II-8-GB-Compact-Flash-Card-for-329/110962.html?ref=alert I am now considering a 671 because I saw this. My biggest concern was not having enough room if I go out of town or something but with that card things are looking up :coolguy: :clapping:. I know there are storage devises out there but I like not having another link in the chain.

P.S

Anyone ever used one of these cards in a 671? I would of course like to know for a fact if it works. It's not a microdrive so I'm sure it would, right?

Offline tfs8271

• Hand polished by Chris Lindsey
« Reply #44 on: February 26, 2006, 10:41:10 AM »

Get one of these http://dealmac.com/deals/San-Disk-Ultra-II-8-GB-Compact-Flash-Card-for-329/110962.html?ref=alert I am now considering a 671 because I saw this. My biggest concern was not having enough room if I go out of town or something but with that card things are looking up :coolguy: :clapping:. I know there are storage devises out there but I like not having another link in the chain.

P.S

Anyone ever used one of these cards in a 671? I would of course like to know for a fact if it works. It's not a microdrive so I'm sure it would, right?

Don't be scared of the storage devises, they are sweet. I have a 4GB card and my storage devise works fine. If you're running 8GB at 24bit you're still going to need it for a three show run.
A six pack a day, that's all we ask.

Neumann skm140>ACM Oade PMD660
or Oade Mod R4

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.102 seconds with 43 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com