Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: JB3 - better option?  (Read 1588 times)

Offline Brian E.

• Trade Count: (2)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • is chicago.... is not chicago....
JB3 - better option?
« on: April 06, 2006, 03:49:34 PM »
i'm thinking about buying a JB3 because i like the functionality, but i don't like the old technology.

is there another recorder that does what a JB3 does but is newer?  all i will want to have right now is at853's and a batt pack -> recorder.

thanks! :)
my tapes:  The Archive | Dime | Etree

Recorder - Sony PCM A-10 | Cans - Shure SE535 | Mics - CA-14 Cards | Canon EOS 5D Mark II 17-40L f4 50 f1.4 70-200L f2.8 IS II 430EX II

Offline bconnolly

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection All-Star
  • Serious Business
    • Serious Business
Re: JB3 - better option?
« Reply #1 on: April 06, 2006, 03:57:47 PM »
i'm thinking about buying a JB3 because i like the functionality, but i don't like the old technology.

is there another recorder that does what a JB3 does but is newer?  all i will want to have right now is at853's and a batt pack -> recorder.

thanks! :)

What's "old" about the technology?  All of the newer recording devices do the same things the JB3 does.  The only difference you're going to see is better level meters and higher sample rate/bit depth.

I guess you could get an R-1 but it lacks digital/optical in so if you ever stepped up to a bigger rig that used an outboard ADC, you'd have to get something that has one.  If you want to deal with the quirks (which have mostly all been ironed out), you can get a Microtrack but it gets way more expensive than a JB3 since the base unit is twice as much and the media costs money (where the JB3 has an internal HD).  FWIW, I have both a JB3 and a MT and here is quick rundown:

JB3:
+large capacity
+cheap price

-larger device
-replacement batteries are hard to come by
-level meters are less than satisfactory

MT:
+up to 24/96
+small formfactor
+good level meters
+TRS inputs

-requires CF or Microdrive
-less capacity (relative to JB3)
-a little quirky for newbies
-long boot time (relative to JB3)

Offline Will_S

• Trade Count: (15)
  • Needs to get out more...
Re: JB3 - better option?
« Reply #2 on: April 06, 2006, 05:57:06 PM »
iRiver models (100 series) running Rockbox can record to wav from line in, with better gain circuitry, level meters, battery life, and smaller form factor than the Nomad JB3.  Disk capacity and price are ~equivalent.

However, the current iteration of Rockbox does not support recording via the digital input.  You can record via the digital input using the orginal iRiver firmware, but there are file length restrictions (~75 min, not the 2 GB limit) and problems with clicks and dropped frames.  A future version of Rockbox may or may not add support for the digital input.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.046 seconds with 32 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com