Become a Site Supporter and Never see Ads again!

Author Topic: DPA d:VICE just announced  (Read 158666 times)

Offline detroit lightning

• Trade Count: (10)
  • Taperssection Member
Re: DPA d:VICE just announced
« Reply #210 on: April 15, 2018, 04:15:17 PM »
New issue last night...

Connected everything and had levels on the dvice app - but when I went to the shure motiv app to record it gave me the "plug in a digital motiv device to access mic setup" message - which allowed me to go to record, and did actually record. But since I wasn't sure of the settings I had in the shure app, I just scrapped it (I was running another rig as well).

I can adjust with my mv88 and the settings will stay, but it's a bit disconcerting.

Anyone else experience this? What apps are everyone using to actually record at this point? I usually go 2448.

Offline audBall

• Trade Count: (37)
  • Needs to get out more...
  • Feel brand new about it
« Reply #211 on: April 15, 2018, 04:34:39 PM »
Unrelated to the post above, but I casually updated the Motiv app the other day to v2.1.6 and just tested the setup again.

Now, with the DPA app setup and running in the background as normal, when the Motiv app is opened only one channel is registered, but it is one of the external (DPA) mics.  When I select the "My Recordings" tab on the bottom right of the screen and go back to the middle "Recording" tab, it registers both channels.  I have repeated this multiple times.   :shrug: 

mg m20.21.23 ■ akg ck61.62.63 »  nbob■naiant »  aercomp2 ■ v2-3 ■ sx-m2d2
dpa 4061 » mma-a.6000
d100 ■ r44ocm ■ f3

Offline BlindGuyEars

• Trade Count: (6)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #212 on: April 18, 2018, 12:55:36 PM »
With one mic out for repair, I taped Dweezil Zappa in a large club the other night. With gain in the D:vice app at minimum and the bass filter engaged, I peaked several times at -3dB or so. I'm worried about the upcoming Slayer/Testament/Lamb of God/Anthrax/Behemoth show, even though it's outdoors.

For those of you in Canada, Gerr Audio www.gerr.com are excelent. The guy servicing my mic commented that they use a dissecting microscope to ensure that new connections are clean, and that it seemed a lot more like vascular surgery than electronics repair working on those thin thin cables. :)

Hopefully I can find someone with 4061's for sale. It's that, or sell my 4060's and get a pair of the 4060's with "CORE technology", which apparently allow for a bit higher headroom and lower distortion. How they pack circuitry in there is beyond me.

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #213 on: April 18, 2018, 02:42:37 PM »
With one mic out for repair, I taped Dweezil Zappa in a large club the other night. With gain in the D:vice app at minimum and the bass filter engaged, I peaked several times at -3dB or so. I'm worried about the upcoming Slayer/Testament/Lamb of God/Anthrax/Behemoth show, even though it's outdoors.

For those of you in Canada, Gerr Audio www.gerr.com are excelent. The guy servicing my mic commented that they use a dissecting microscope to ensure that new connections are clean, and that it seemed a lot more like vascular surgery than electronics repair working on those thin thin cables. :)

Hopefully I can find someone with 4061's for sale. It's that, or sell my 4060's and get a pair of the 4060's with "CORE technology", which apparently allow for a bit higher headroom and lower distortion. How they pack circuitry in there is beyond me.

+1 for GERR as well. I'm currently dealing with them as well and not having to send the gear back to the States is a godsend. So far, I've been impressed in my dealings with them.

As for the DZ show, that venue can get real loud, fast. How far back were you from the stacks?  Trying to get an idea for future shows if I'm in the same boat.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline beatkilla

• Trade Count: (70)
« Reply #214 on: April 18, 2018, 05:49:37 PM »
Why not have an attenuator cable built with -12 or -20db.I think that will be alot cheaper than also buying 4061.
As much as i do not like dealing with coresound i bet he can make it for you.

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #215 on: April 18, 2018, 05:51:06 PM »
Why not have an attenuator cable built with -12 or -20db.I think that will be alot cheaper than also buying 4061.

Are you thinking about an attenuator cable using microdots in between the 4060's and the d:vice?  Don't know if that would be feasible or not.
Camera: DJI Osmo Action 4 | Mics: (under construction) Line Audio CM3 | Decks: (under construction) | Power: (under construction)

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #216 on: April 18, 2018, 06:13:54 PM »

Are you thinking about an attenuator cable using microdots in between the 4060's and the d:vice?  Don't know if that would be feasible or not.

Yes that what i was thinking but im no cable builder.
https://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/CM2218B00--dpa-cm2218b00-microdot-extension-cable-5.9-foot?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIz4acz-vE2gIVQcDICh33YQnDEAQYASABEgKsV_D_BwE

If you order 2 of these you at least have the parts :shrug:

Offline rippleish20

• Trade Count: (24)
  • Taperssection All-Star
« Reply #217 on: April 18, 2018, 06:37:25 PM »

I would assume the problem is that the microphone capsule itself cant handle the SPL and that all you would be doing is attenuating an already distorted signal...
AKG C480B (ck61, ck63, ck8) /  Neumann KM100 (AK40, AK50) / AT853s  (cardiod, omni) / CA-14 (cardiod) / CA-11 (Omni) / Mixpre-10t / Mixpre-6 / Roland R-07 / Zoom F-3
paypal: rippleish20@gmail.com

Offline beatkilla

« Reply #218 on: April 18, 2018, 06:42:06 PM »

I would assume the problem is that the microphone capsule itself cant handle the SPL and that all you would be doing is attenuating an already distorted signal...

Maybe so,but i think the max spl for the 4060 is 134db so that would be a very loud show.

Offline detroit lightning

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #219 on: April 19, 2018, 01:42:40 PM »
Unrelated to the post above, but I casually updated the Motiv app the other day to v2.1.6 and just tested the setup again.

Now, with the DPA app setup and running in the background as normal, when the Motiv app is opened only one channel is registered, but it is one of the external (DPA) mics.  When I select the "My Recordings" tab on the bottom right of the screen and go back to the middle "Recording" tab, it registers both channels.  I have repeated this multiple times.   :shrug:

I think we're having the same issue - I played around with it the other night at a show, and think that the shure app is recording everything fine, it's just disconcerting since its hard to tell what the hell is going on in the app. But looking at the waveform/files now, they're 2448 and look ok.

after messing with the rode app, I think I'll just keep using the shure app instead...

Offline madman

• Trade Count: (0)
  • Taperssection Regular
« Reply #220 on: April 27, 2018, 06:27:43 PM »
I've been gone from here for a long time, I want to tape a few upcoming shows and found out the battery on my 20 year old Sharp MD recorder went to the great gig in the sky. I'm excited to see this DPA device, I plan to pick it up and a refurbed ipod for taping.  I will miss having a physical minidisc of shows, though.

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #221 on: April 27, 2018, 06:44:58 PM »
I've been gone from here for a long time, I want to tape a few upcoming shows and found out the battery on my 20 year old Sharp MD recorder went to the great gig in the sky. I'm excited to see this DPA device, I plan to pick it up and a refurbed ipod for taping.  I will miss having a physical minidisc of shows, though.

You won't miss having to deal with disc flips or real time transfers depending on the deck you had.  There's something to be said about the d:vice but it is expensive for what it is.

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #222 on: April 27, 2018, 08:04:30 PM »
You won't miss having to deal with disc flips or real time transfers depending on the deck you had.  There's something to be said about the d:vice but it is expensive for what it is.
I think I only ever taped one show that was longer than a single minidisc, but yeah the transferring was not fun. I'm thinking a 32GB ipod touch will get me where I need to be, I just need to find my 4061s and I'll be good to go.

Offline adrianf74

• Taperssection Member
« Reply #223 on: April 27, 2018, 08:14:44 PM »
I think I only ever taped one show that was longer than a single minidisc, but yeah the transferring was not fun. I'm thinking a 32GB ipod touch will get me where I need to be, I just need to find my 4061s and I'll be good to go.

Just make sure your 4061s have microdot ends.

Offline madman

• Taperssection Regular
« Reply #224 on: April 27, 2018, 08:18:42 PM »
They do, I have a MMA6000 and whatever the microdot battery pack is called, MPS something or other. It's been years since I've touched this stuff.

RSS | Mobile
Page created in 0.077 seconds with 44 queries.
© 2002-2024 Taperssection.com